My Forbidden Past - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Forbidden Past Reviews

½ October 30, 2015
a fair to good drama noir set in late 1890s New Orleans a story of lust,greed and passion with a good performance by Ava Gardiner,Robert Mitchum,and supporting cast.
November 30, 2014
Love story full of spite, deception and a town full of loathsome characters. However Ava Gardner holds things up well with the majority of the screen time, but Mitchum and Douglas are solid enough in support.
August 28, 2012
good period melodrama
November 25, 2010
ok costume drama/period piece
½ July 14, 2004
I thought this was going to be a film noir. It's from RKO in 1951. stars Robert Mitchum and has a vaguely salacious title.

I was wrong.

Oh, how I just despise thouse three words. Especially in this case, as [i]My Forbidden Past[/i] is your run-of-the-mill melodrama, complete with a last-minute courtroom revelation. Oh, I'm so titillated. I'm not even going to bother describing the plot because I stopped paying attention about 30 minutes in.

Robert Mitchum and Ava Gardner were both sexy and performed well enough, but I got the sense that they cared about the plot about as much as I did (think [i]The Little Foxes[/i] only in New Orleans and without anything interesting). Third-billed was Melvyn Douglas and he's always just bugged the shit out of me. He comes off as smug and self-satisfied in every single movie. The only thing I've ever liked him in is [i]Ninotchka,[/i] because...actually, come to think of it, I like [i]Ninotchka[/i] despite his presence.