My Giant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Giant Reviews

February 29, 2016
love Billy crystal, but this movie is a novelty act and not much more
October 6, 2015
i have always wanted to see this. it looks like an excellent film.
August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Late childhood)
April 20, 2014
A cute playing it safe comedy about struggling Hollywood Agent Billy Crystal who accidentally stumbles across a local Romanian Giant.

As you assume Billy immediately pushes him into films although his heart is else where. It's a moral film with a message of what's important.

It has a few nice moments but it's nothing amazing but has it's place...it's always good to learn some new Billy Crystal one liners.
cosmo313
½ November 18, 2013
A year after the mess that was Father's Day Billy Crystal returned with another stinker and, while this one isn't quite as awful, it's still pretty stinkin' bad.

Inspired by his experience meeting Andre the Giant during The Princess Bride, Crystal plays a third rate talent agent struggling to get by. While on assignment in Romania, he gets in a car accident and is saved by a gentle giant named Max who clocks in at nearly 8 feet tall (NBA player Gheorghe Muresan is 7'7").

Seeing a lot of promise in him, Crystal's Sammy tries his best to get Max into the big time, and salvage what's left of his failing career and life.

As you might expect, there's a lot of hurdles to get through, and of course, being a scheming weasel, Sammy has some tough lessons to learn about life and humanity.

This really could have been a sincere, earnest, and good film. Unfortunately it's handled with little subtlety, originality, and nuance, so the end result is really trite, predictable, and cringe worthy.

As a dramedy it's really not all that funny, and the dramatic elements more often than not fall flat and come off as disingenuous and unearned. I'll admit that the Catholic jokes at the monastery and the stuff with Steven Seagal worked and were funny, and I liked a few of the dramatic bits, but overall this was fairly insufferable. I hated the gawking, the obvious routes the film went, and the generally exploitative nature of the proceedings. I felt bad for Muresan, and hope they paid him well for all the stuff done at his expense.

Had there been a stronger script, better execution, and a lot more tact, humanity, and heart, then yeah, maybe I'd be on board here. But instead this is shameful, dull, and has almost nothing worthwhile to offer.
½ November 9, 2012
Parfois, un scenario aussi sympathique et reussi que celui-ci ne peut etre gache par une realisation academique. MY GIANT est une comedie touchante, amusante et bien interpretee par un duo fantastique, compose de BILLY CRYSTAL et de l'ex joueur NBA GHEORGHE MURESAN. Les allergiques aux bons sentiments passeront leur chemin, les autres riront et pleureront tout au long du film.
½ September 12, 2012
kinda ok dont wast time
½ July 31, 2012
I remember seeing My Giant in Theatres with my father (before he got sick) many moons ago. I enjoyed the movie as a kid. And prefer to not review it. Somethings are meant to be seen once in a lifetime.

This movie was very touching and sweet. Billy Crystal stars as this movie agent who travels to Romania on work errands only to discover that he has been fired from his job. He gets into a car accident and gets pulled out of the vehicle by this giant man (in his eyes a guardian angel).

But somewhere between endearing tale it switches to Crystals Character abusing his new found friend for personal gain and exposing a man's Giant stature for profit. Lucky by the final cut Crystal realizes his selfish motives to be wrong and makes an effort to become a changed man (too late in the game sort to speak).
½ April 12, 2012
eah after recently thinking about it, I think it's time that my ratings are changed a little so it's not just either 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc and make it so i could also rate the movies as 5, 15, 25, 35, 45, etc. Probably overdue but better late than never. But anyway, here's the first video from the bag which is this drama comedy that was co-written and starred by Billy Crystal: My Giant.

Plot: Sam is an agent who just got fired by his current client who is shooting a film in Romania. While leaving the set he crashed his car and is saved by a 8 foot tall Romanian man named Max. Sam gets the idea to make Max a star, so he convinces the director to cast Max as the villain in the movie. From there, Sam tries to get him more roles and along with it, help Max find his old paramour he had 20 years ago.

Now if you are wondering if this movie is not very creative when it comes to the concept of the story. A) Don't finish reading this review yet if you don't want to know until you've seen it because B) I'm just going to say it for those who don't really care or have already seen this film: yes, it's not a creative concept. Quite honestly, I wasn't very amused very much with a lot of the first...15 minutes give a take of this film because if you've seen enough movies like this film, you know exactly what is going to happen. Also I have to say that it really isn't much of a comedy. Because I heard one or two things that were cute, but that was really it. It mostly stayed a drama. But...when you get to the last 40 ish minutes the drama is a little nice. I mean don't get me wrong, the whole story in general is just plain cheesy, but the drama is still a little...nice. I mean it's still dumb in terms of creativity, but you could be interested in the characters enough to enjoy it anyway.

Actors/Characters:
Billy Crystal/Sam: He was just okay. Like I said, they really do much with the comedy and that pretty much went the exact same way with Billy Crystal in this movie. But his part in the drama later on did make his character a little more interesting or at least more like someone we could care for than being the person he introduced to us in the beginning.
Muresan/Max: He was nice. His character wasn't original, but if you do like a story about a nice giant like Max, he did do well enough that I think you would easily enjoy him.

Music: I didn't really pay attention to the music much. I mean it's a drama/comedy with Billy Crystal, so there really isn't anything that stands out as a score either good or bad for that kind of movie.

Editing: The editing was okay. There were one or two cuts that I didn't really think were necessary, but for the general part, they did good.

And that's my review for My Giant. It's a very cheesy film that while they lack a lot of comedy, the drama in the film no matter how cheesy it is could make it nice enough that you could like anyway.
August 3, 2011
Sad (sometimes funny) story inspired by Andre the Giant written by Billy Crystal.
July 7, 2011
a marvolest and hillarious comedy that proves size dosen't matter. A
½ May 20, 2011
wane comedy digestible because of the giant, sorta, and a cameo by seagal.
½ May 3, 2011
loved this one. classic.
½ July 31, 2010
This wasn't a bad movie with really good actors like Billy Crystal and Kathleen Quinlan.
Gheorghe Muresan was good as the gentle and innocent giant.
Funny that Steven Segal was in a Billy Crystal movie.
½ July 13, 2010
A bit week story but it was interesting to see a tall man act and Bily Crystal was great.
Naughtia
½ May 15, 2010
This movie was very touching and sweet. Billy Crystal stars as this movie agent who travels to Romania on work errands only to discover that he has been fired from his job. He gets into a car accident and gets pulled out of the vehicle by this giant man. The movie agent desperately wants this giant to come to America and work for him. I liked the story very much and I wouldn definetely not hesitate to watch this movie once more.
April 7, 2010
½ March 14, 2010
nice idea for a movie
December 21, 2009
"dont ever see this. are we clear?"
"Crystal."