My Girlfriend's Boyfriend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend Reviews

March 27, 2018
Charming quirky rom-com. Lovingly photographed and an above average script. Definitely a passion project but one with decent production values. Definitely worth 90 minutes of your time.
December 27, 2017
Spoiler Alert: This movie is not about a girl dating two men at the same time. The movie begins with Ethan meeting his publisher who counsels him to write something realist but infuse a better beau into story: someone successful, charming, good looking -- unlike him (in her opinion). Next, he meets Jesse who tells him to write a story about a boy walking into a cafe meeting the most amazing woman. He also takes her advise. Notice how similar Ethan and Troy are to one another, only Troy is supposedly the one whose "made it". Also notice, you never see Troy meet any of Jesse's family but you do see Ethan meet her family. That is because, her relationship with Troy isn't real. It's the story he is writing that is a beefed up parallel to real life. The only real timeline is Jesse and Ethan. You may have had a difficult time picking that up, because he didn't change Jesse in the story because she's "perfect" and Troy was Ethan's idea of a more successful, interesting, charming version of himself. In conclusion, Jesse wasn't dating two men. She was only dating Ethan and she broke up with him because she couldn't have kids and due to her divorce, she thought either it would be a deal breaker or he would stay with her and give up on having kids and neither option was appealing. Like I've said, this is a very clever movie and if you're only skimming the surface of the movie, it's easy to see a girl dating two guys, professing her love to both with one waiting to get his heart broken. But really, its more about the power of love to inspire us to be our bravest and best selves for ourselves and those we love. I can't over estimate the refreshingly surprised I was to enjoy it as much as I did.
March 14, 2017
I'm frustrated. I don't understand how a film like "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" gets made. I can understand how the vision of a film can get lost in the editing process, but how can a film be so misguided from the very start. I can't imagine the crew members on the set of this film thinking anything other than "these are the most emotionless characters that I have ever seen" as the cameras were rolling. I have seen Lifetime Original Movies with better acting. I've even seen midafternoon Nickelodeon comedies with every cast member under the age of 16 that has better acting. Christopher Gorham's soft-spoken tone of voice wreaks of a sensitive used car salesman and makes any attempt by Alyssa Milano to create chemistry feel awkward. It doesn't help that the script is completely mundane. Not in a Richard Linklater real-life-unfolding-in-front-of-your-eyes sort of way, but in a why-am-I-watching-this-unemotional-dialogue sort of way. The entire film feels painfully overacted and it is no surprise that it received a pay-per-view release instead of a theatrical one. It latches onto the classic cliché of a girl trying to choose between a successful ad executive vs. a family-oriented struggling writer, though you will understand why in the end. In an effort to incorporate some comedy into the film, they create a random tangent with a character appearing in a gum commercial but it has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on the plot! The experience of watching this film is painful... and then it throws in one of the most incredible twists that I've ever seen in a romantic comedy. This is one of the highest quality chick flick concepts that I have ever seen, but the dialogue and acting are so average that it will never be appreciated for its underlying genius. I want to tell you to watch "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" to experience its inventive ending, or even just to laugh at how bad the acting is; unfortunately, any attempt to endure this film will result in an unending frustration with its relentless monotony.
½ March 8, 2017
The girl is quite the conniving cunt throughout the movie but comes to her senses at the end. Good performances though and some of the dialogue is quite good. Story lacks but still enjoyable
½ January 12, 2017
Bubble gum romantic fluff? with a twist. Amusing but no Oscar contender.
July 24, 2016
When you can choose a best man out of two...

The best thing about the film is the title. It got me curious, then I decided to give it a try to learn what's that mean. Love triangle is something what I anticipated, but to know how good it is going to be was my eagerness. I did not know anybody from it, well, except Alyssa Milano. It was a low cost film, but production was good. The opening was decent, so expected a fine development and conclusion. Then did I disappointed with it? Well, a little!

It got me. At one point I predicted it entirely wrong. I realised that only during the final few minutes. Yep, the actors were good and so the fairly fitting ending, but for some people that might look like a grand twist. I think the writing, including dialogues and direction was better than I expected. Feels like it is an ordinary version of 'Ruby Sparks'. If you had liked that, probably you would like it as well, though it is not a fantasy.

Whatever you thought of it, the last 5-10 minutes makes you change your stance, that's how it is designed. So it is not a best romance-comedy, but a watchable one for being slightly original. I would surely give a thumbs up to you to go for it, only if you say you won't try to predict it, but try to watch it like the normal people. In my opinion, that's how it to be watched for the maximum benefit.

6/10
April 15, 2016
An ok film that is not worth seeing twice
½ March 11, 2016
I couldn't stand Milano's character for most of the movie up until the last ten minutes when everything is revealed. It made the movie so much more enjoyable as a whole. If you watch it, watch the whole thing. If you give up halfway like the reviewer "Japes" did, you'll miss the entire point of the movie.
½ October 31, 2015
Pretty much the girly, predictable, drama, cheese you would expect. It's light enough that isn't that bad.
½ April 17, 2015
Awful. Awful acting, awful script, awful 'jokes', awful character! You really don't like the girl until the end when you realize she wasn't actually two-timing a couple of perfectly nice guys. The twist didn't make sense. Boring.
September 5, 2014
ahh cute romcom movie
½ August 2, 2014
Interesting story, but it could have been so much better...
½ June 21, 2014
I was so close to coming here and giving the movie two stars. I was so close to ranting about an unlikable protagonist and manipulative storytelling. However, I have decided not to do that. Why? Watch the movie to the very end and really, really, take it in.
June 6, 2014
Everything a romance shouldn't be: sappy, predictable and conventional. My Girlfriend's Boyfriend's characters are bland, and although its story tries to be a fresh take on a typical formula, the end result winds up being what the film tries not to be.
½ May 31, 2014
Hey, Japes, "super reviewer", you should probably watch the WHOLE movie before you critique it.... there's a twist at the end which I would rather not reveal because it would ruin the ending for someone who wants to watch it. But the ending literally COMPLETELY invalidates your criticism of the plot. The story is not what you think it is. Dork.
October 30, 2013
This movie is indeed a masterpiece. It is witty, intelligently made, and all the casts did well. It captured me from the start and indeed it draw a lot of reaction from me especially when Jesse fel in love with two guys, not knowing that there is something special to happen in the ending, The ending was priceless and it was worth my time :) Love it!!
October 25, 2013
Dude, did anybody else hate this movie the whole time? You have to like the main character, and how can anyone like a main character who is two timing two guys? Like dude, no. Just because she's a girl, doesn't make it okay, it's not cute that a girl leads two guys on to find out whether one of them is 'the one'. So I pretty much hated this movie the whole time, and then at the end Troy wasn't real and I had hated the entire movie for nothing, but it was still kind of bad.
July 31, 2013
The 1 star reviewer who didn't finish the movie OBVIOUSLY missed the important plot twist at the end. Totally loved this show - sweet and clean.
½ June 19, 2013
The ending saved the whole story somewhat but otherwise it was quite borring. Alyssa Milano, who I usually like, was really bad.