My Kid Could Paint That - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Kid Could Paint That Reviews

½ January 9, 2012
Dokumenttielokuva 4-vuotiaasta ihmelapsesta, jonka tauluja myytiin kallilla hinnalla. Tarina oli jotenkin hatara ja lisäksi jäi epäselväksi, että oliko sittenkin kyse huijauksesta... (?)
December 31, 2011
I really enjoyed this. An amazing story about a child prodigy painter, who is absolutely incredible. Does a good job of showing both the positive and negative slants to the issue, and does not really end up taking a side.

The documentary itself is well filmed and well composed, but the real reason I liked it so much was that I just wanted to keep looking at these paintings, because they are on par with some of the best abstract art I've seen.

As an artist, it both inspires me and makes me feel like a failure, because this 4 year old is a way better painter than I am.
December 18, 2011
I liked Amir's own little bits when you hear him talk, because I felt the same way he did. I wanted to believe it to be true but when you see everything he does, it's so hard to believe.
December 6, 2011

½ December 4, 2011
Can honestly say I really didn't find what I expected going into this film. And that was a good thing. Did she really paint those paintings all by herself? Did she have help? Were they painted by someone else all together? Let's face it, we'll likely never know (and her father's actions really don't help matters). But I really don't care. The quality of the artwork should stand by itself; either you enjoy the work or you don't. To me, that's all that really matters. And the real victim here is a little girl, just trying to live and enjoy her life. What kind of a life will she lead, what kind of a person will she become, after all the media publicity, criticism, and fanfare? I think we can all agree that she deserves a childhood above all else, and let's all hope that she gets it.
November 12, 2011
Good, but marred somewhat by the director's bias towards the end.
½ September 27, 2011
Documental que posee mucho ms valor como anlisis del arte moderno que como un anlisis de una posible estafa millonaria. Que por cierto creo que es EVIDENTE.
August 4, 2011
I was interested in seeing this documentary before I even knew that there was some doubt as to whether Marla did the paintings all by herself. This element made the documentary doubly fascinating!
July 15, 2011
An interesting, well made and wel paced documentary.
July 5, 2011
A really well done documentary!

It was fun to follow along and to get inside the head of the filmmaker as he ends up making a very different film than he set out to make.

He sets out to make a documentary about a child prodigy, to show her painting ability, and to tell her story. He ends up being filled with doubt as it becomes clearer to him that it is likely her father who is doing the actual painting. However, the filmmaker doesn't express this opinion in so many words. He artfully uses the footage he collects to let the viewer decide the verdict.
½ May 25, 2011
Interesting doc about an adorable little girl who may or may not be a modern-art prodigy. We are never conclusively shown one way or the other but it appears her remarkable talent isn't quite what it seems. This is not a stellar film but it's quite good and the subjects are really interesting people. In hindsight Catfish owes a fair amount to this movie.
May 8, 2011
A amazingly honest window into the controversy and drama that surrounds this story. I felt ,at times, sure of the authenticity of the parents claims. Them , suddenly, they seemed like crazy people lying to the world and their daughter.

The close personal scenes with the father are uneasy to the point of conjuring up a twisted Haneke plot.

This once again proves that the modern art world is drawn to great personalities not great art.
May 5, 2011
I found this movie to be interesting, but odd. I thought that Marla might have done some of the paintings, but not all. Everytime Marla was required to paint a paintig on camera or infront of someone other than her parents she couldn't do it. At one point in the show she asked her father daddy should i add more or am i done? And at another part she said to her father dadddy i didn't paint that one she said her little brother did. Other than that it was a alright movie. But it did show me how much people follow media but then get easily distracted... like a dog when he gets a bone.
½ May 5, 2011
We watchid this in class. We were required to answer questions about. It really got me thinking about how the media can take something and pretty much ruin it. Her family didn't deserve the negative energy toward them, if the dad is lying that would be a pretty heavy burden to bear especially under the pressure he was in. You would wonder what Marla will be like in terms of her art when she is older, if she continues or not. I personally hear enough stories about amazing children, so this documentary really did not do anything for me.
May 5, 2011
I really liked this movie because of the question at the end. Can Marla really paint that well or did her dad do it for her. Did the media just make up the idea that Marla's dad did the paintings or is Marla just a really special girl that can really paint. The question of that just made the movie REALLY REALLY Great!! I would give it five stars *****
½ April 14, 2011
The story of the child artist feels like it should be short news item rather than a feature film for the first part of this documentary, but once the controversy of whether she is actually producing them surfaces, it does perk up.
April 9, 2011
...it's up to ones interpretation...
April 7, 2011
while the content in this documentary is very dull and not as interesting as, Exit through the Gift Shop, Amir is on the sidelines of this families turmoil as their daughter clings onto the spot light in the art world. It does however, show the troubles of art in society and the standards that are set by critics of art.
February 22, 2011
An extremely captivating and thought-provoking film. Anyone with an opinion on art owes it to themselves to watch it.
February 5, 2011
This was way better than I expected -actually quite interesting.