My Life as a Dog (Mitt Liv som Hund) Reviews

• Dec 07, 2017

I absolutely adore this Lasse Hallstrom movie about a little boy growing up in Sweden of the late 1950s-early 60s. It is charming and heartfelt without being schmaltzy and overly sentimental. It has delightfully funny episodes as young Ingemar is sent to live in the country with his uncle due to his mother being unable to cope with his pranks and the constant bickering between him and his brother, as her health steadily fails. Ingemar is constantly upbeat and often ponders on the fate of others, comparing his fate with theirs. His chief obsession is Laika, the dog that was sent into space by the USSR and he mourns her fate as he draws parallels between her life and his own. I've watched and rewatched this movie many times and it never fails to delight and move, bringing a smile to my face as the young boy experiences and tries to interpret the bizarre personalities and situations he founds himself surrounded by.

• Dec 25, 2016

An all time favorite, charing and moving.

An all time favorite, charing and moving.

• Nov 08, 2016

Lasse Hallström's directorial debut is a pleasurably bittersweet reminiscence of a boy grappling with abandonment issues, sexual awakening and acceptance of death in the advent of losing his mother to tuberculosis.

• Aug 28, 2016

This film about a child dealing with the hardships in an adult world, will tug on your heartstrings and make you reminisce about one's childhood

• May 26, 2016

Incredible pathos and rhythm. Firm grip from the first scene.

Incredible pathos and rhythm. Firm grip from the first scene.

• Sep 12, 2015

Another very original and quirky scandanavian movie about how a kid copes with his mothers illness and being moved around as a result. This pushes the boundaries a little which is always appreciated.

• Aug 02, 2015

Esse é um filme sueco da década de 80 que, cultural dessa sociedade ou não, prima pela beleza da pureza dos olhos de uma criança e ao mesmo tempo pode chocar os adultos e seus filtros morais. Por isso advirto: se quiser aproveitar de verdade esse filme, não se deixe levar por julgamentos levianos a respeito de sexualidade ou o politicamente correto que infecta nossa criatividade e nossas relações humanas. Veja com os mesmos olhos dessa pequena criança sueca e tudo estará bem. cinetenisverde.com.br

• Jul 25, 2015

I dunno. Perhaps I would love it more if I had watched it 30, or even 20 years ago (although I think I had watched it some times ago when it was on TV before).

• Jun 21, 2015

I watched this film as a kid, and, for some reason, it always stuck with me. Twenty years and a rewatch later, and it was probably because of the breasts. Repetition characterizes this coming-of-age story about a young boy who, like a dog, is in need of a home. I don't plan on watching it again.

• Mar 20, 2015

A incredibly slow paced but pretty nice in some parts. The film requires an audience that enjoys slice of life films. I'm not the biggest fan of those but I can say that this one's really good in that category. I won't be coming back to it however.