My Life Without Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Life Without Me Reviews

September 3, 2015
Good in moments, and with some good performances in spite of some truly awful dialogue and irritating characters. I'm all for unlikeable characters in my fiction, but Anne is just an asshole and a martyr and everything she does is kind of stupid and annoying and seems to be in pursuit of making everybody else's life easy and conventional. The romanticising of the idea of shielding everyone from pain turned a decent movie into a frustration.
½ December 29, 2014
Besides a few minor hiccups that sort of make the film steps out of its comfort zone, this is almost as well done as it can be given the material. typically not really my kind of movie, it had me caring for the story and the characters.

Kudos to not spoiling the mood to have the two man have a dramatic encounter, it would have been aweful and i was really hoping it wouldn't go there. Nonetheless, her decision to engage another person is a little bit troublesome to me. does that mean that she always want to do that but since she's dying anyway so she excuse herself to actually cheat? i tried hard in my mind trying to justify for the act, it still bothers me.
½ May 19, 2014
The cast was great, but the movie was so slow that I really had a hard time caring about what was going on.
May 1, 2014
Even though it fails to make you sympathize with the characters and gives a rather unnatural mechanism of story development (a "what to do before I die list), it shows a human and understandable reaction from a person that knows her death is imminent. Fantastic performance my Sarah Polley. If they could manage to keep inside the borders of realism this could have been a great film.
½ January 3, 2014
November 3, 2013
It's amazing. One of my favorite films of all time.
½ July 6, 2013
A poignant story of life that dwells on the imminence of untimely death. Have your handkerchief handy.
April 11, 2013
What could have been a total clichée movie wasn't but instead it was quite brilliant and entertaining despite the serious theme.
½ March 24, 2013
yo le doy un 10 es una pelicula excelente y te lleva a reflecxinar sobre la tonta vida ke abeses nos parese ke es tan dificil de llevar..yo la recomiendo mucho...
February 6, 2013
I've wanted to see this film for a while because Sarah Polley is an amazing actress. I'm happy I finally got around to watching this film - it's amazing. Slow moving and incredibly intense, this almost depressing story of a 23 year old mother of 2 dealing with her last few months alive is nothing short of a life altering film experience - it has reignited my belief in the potential of modern cinema. It tackles the idea of making the most of your life in an honest, cliche free manner. Low levels of sentimentality ultimately result in the audience caring more for the protagonist and her family. Exceptional performances from the entire cast, particularly Mark Ruffalo, Deborah Harry and of course Sarah Polley. What impressed me most about this film was the screenplay. Beautifully written dialogue, seamless transitions and an ultimately happy ending despite the downbeat nature of the film. If you are prone to tearing up in films beware, this one packs a punch but it is very much worth it, a beautiful film.
January 21, 2013
No creo que sea mala pelicula, sencillamente es injusta para cualquier espectador desinformado, porque no esta bien hacerlo pasar tan mal al personal, joder, el cine puede transmitir muchas cosas, pero no veo motivo para sufrir innecesariamente
December 19, 2012
Intriguing drama of a woman facing her own death without tons of melodrama.
December 16, 2012
That's more like it, nice and depressing.
December 7, 2012
Wouldnt mind seeing.
November 24, 2012
Bitter Sweet, Poignant!
½ November 24, 2012
Bitter Sweet, Poignant.
November 20, 2012
If it wasn't for the believable tortured-soul performances of Sarah Polley, Mark Ruffalo and Leonor Watling, this could have been a crass piece of sentimental junk. Weirdly, it's not.
November 18, 2012
Sarah Polley broke my heart in this. What a magical film.
November 1, 2012
Love this film. Beautiful and very real.