My Life Without Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Life Without Me Reviews

October 28, 2012
There are a few films that you watch that are so emotionally powerful, once they are over you can't remember the flaws. Like our life, it is the high points that we cling to in our hearts. It is that perfect ray of sunlight that strikes at just the right moment, in just the right place, and you carry it with you the rest of your life.

For me, the film is just about as perfect as a film gets. MY LIFE WITHOUT ME tells the story of a woman that about to die. Instead of being a sad film, the diagnosis of death is used as a platform for a heroic embracing of life. Sarah Polly does a wonderful job playing the dying Ann. Mark Ruffalo is great.Even Deborah Harry delivers a stellar performance.

I am sure critics can pick this film apart. But for me this is an amazing, inspiring tale that is worth seeing. Seriously, I believe in this film. I have had soooo many copies of it stolen by lending it out. Track it down. Watch it.

You will be better for having seen it.
September 20, 2012
Horrible, narcissistic movie. This woman thinks she is making it easier on her family and friends not to tell them she is dying of cancer. It's not easier when someone's death comes as a surprise! It's so much better for everyone to be able to know, to savor the time together and to share each other's heart and emotions.Think of the professor "Last Lecture" - He died of cancer too, and he lived life to the limits with his family, friends, and colleagues all aware. And his woman needlessly cheats on her husband who loves her, to get involved with another man, and get him involved in her life when she has 1-2 months to live. How selfish to her husband! How selfish to this other man! The movie is so unrealistic at the end. Playing that "trick" on everyone, and getting sick and dying when your family did not know you had terminal cancer, is the utmost of selfishness and disregard for people you love and who love you. I'd like to give this movie a zero or negative number. I will never get this 2 hours back. Complete waste of time. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME OR ENERGY.
½ August 27, 2012
Poignant and touching without being sentimental. One of Polley's finest performances.
August 26, 2012
Sarah Polley is superb.
½ July 27, 2012
Real. Real Sad. Real and Sad.
July 23, 2012
A very good movie. A must see.
June 28, 2012
Drawn in; and eventually captivated by Sarah Polley's performance. Totally feel Lee's (Mark Ruffalo) pain in the end.
½ June 24, 2012
You don't know who or what you're praying to, but you pray. You don't even regret the life that you're not gonna have, because by then you'll be dead. And the dead don't feel anything. Not even regret.
½ May 26, 2012
Sarah Polley became my favorite actress after this performance of a terminally ill mother who becomes selfless for her family. What would you do if you knew you were going to die? Beautiful story.
May 13, 2012
Good acting, good casting, overly sentimental.
May 10, 2012
Besides moving very slowly, I don't know how believable this is.... you're 24, with 2 young children, loving husband... and you are capable of being sick, still working, and remaining unemotional (and silent) that you will be dying in 2 months?......
½ May 9, 2012
I would see this one again. It wasn't that bad. I liked seeing Mark Ruffalo in this. Definitely watchable.
March 31, 2012
A movie will make you think so much about your life, and find within some lost good aspects of human nature.
March 29, 2012
This film tries to stir up deep questions about death but instead just comes across as selfish and shallow. Polley and Ruffalo make the most of their challenging parts but their performances are wasted on this story. It should have been called "A Young Person's Guide to Dealing With Death".
½ March 5, 2012
Although the main character is kind of egocentric, the movie experience was good as it. A very sentimental drama which probably has more success on women than men. If you're the kind of man that enjoys transformers probably it's not for you, on the other side if you liked The Reader, then you might like this one to.
February 28, 2012
Ann: This is you. Eyes closed, out in the rain. You never thought you'd be doing something like this, you never saw yourself as, I don't know how you'd describe it... Is like one of those people who like looking up at the moon, who spend hours gazing at the waves or the sunset or... I guess you know the kind of people I'm talking about. Maybe you don't. Anyway, you kind of like being like this, fighting the cold, feeling the water seep through your shirt and getting through your skin. And the feel of the ground growing soft beneath your feet. And the smell. And the sound of the rain hitting the leaves. All the things they talked about in the books you haven't read. This is you, who would have guessed it? You.
½ February 27, 2012
Melancholic without being Melodramatic... The beauty of this film lies in the fact that it doesn't indulge in over-sentimentality which it could have easily fallen prey to...
February 13, 2012
Sad and slow story of what a Young Woman is thinking and how she prepares for her death
½ January 19, 2012
You know what to expect when we have a terminally ill female lead.
Thankfully, this did'nt turn out to be the usual tear-jerking melodrama. Emotions were decently real and was well acted throughout.
January 4, 2012
Hermosa película con momentos depresivos, la actuación de Polley es tan perfecta que solo por ella vale la pena, Mark Ruffalo se luce. Una cinta en donde los sentimientos están a flor de piel, en donde los colores, sonidos, miradas y silencios juegan un papel importante. Imprescindible y favorita.