Le Château de Ma Mère (My Mother's Castle) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Château de Ma Mère (My Mother's Castle) Reviews

October 25, 2015
Pure escapism and delightful to boot. The costumes, scenery, set, music lighting are gorgeous and the gentle plot glides like a butter knife. No need for CGI, people going 'OMG' every few seconds, car chases - just a sweet film that cradles you throughout.
½ November 18, 2013
Oddly enough I found this preferable to La Gloire de Mon Pere. It's an impressive feat for a film with, to be honest, not very much plot, to be enjoyable and meaningful nonetheless. The final scene, with the guard's come-uppance from the lock-keepers, is extremely funny.
June 14, 2012
La aussi je sais que ca casse le rythme mais bon... j'aime ces films tres simples et legers et en meme temps porteurs d'emotions
½ May 18, 2012
The second of two remarkable memory-films based on the childhood of the great French writer Marcel Pagnol
February 22, 2012
Beautiful scenery.....and French childhood memories. A charming film.
January 21, 2012
Nice nostalgic look at a French family in the early 20th century.
November 3, 2011
This gets high ratings here on Flixter, & it's a period piece, so it's my kinda Flick
½ October 10, 2011
Way better than its prequel... at least I got a more interesting plot to follow. A light-hearted but realistic piece.
June 13, 2011
Part too of a wonderful film.
I always balled like a baby at the end... it might be a sad ending but it is also the real story of Marcel Pagnol.
March 13, 2011
Almost as charming as the first film (My Father's Glory), and with a devastating conclusion to tie the memories together. The passage with Isabelle was not quite of a whole with the rest of the story, but that's the only weak point.
October 8, 2010
A perfect companion to the "The Glory of My Father", and if your really
like Marcel Pagnol...why not add "Fanny", The Baker's Wife, The Well-Diggers Daughter" I can assure you,---your will just heave a big sigh of amazement at the true emotions of the characters. It appeals to the heart more than the brain, a true Mother's Day treat any time of the day!--vil Santos
August 14, 2010
Nice to look at. A little boring at times. Nothing special but better than lots.
April 21, 2010
Love this movie want to see it again ! ;)
½ April 12, 2010
Follow-on from My Father's Glory, developing the story further. Celebrates life, love, family. Another video I'll be watching again and again.
February 18, 2010
Thursday, Febraury 18, 2010

(1991) My Mother's Castle

ADVENTURE/ DRAMA (French with english subtitles)

The second of two films starring Marcel Pagnol's autobiographical novels originally released in 1957 about experiences upon growing up while visiting the countryside. All I can say is that this film cannot be watched unless the first film had been looked at first which is called "My Father's Glory". If you enjoy that film may also enjoy this second installment as well.

4/4
October 9, 2009
nominated for best foreign film by NBR
½ October 5, 2009
Absolutely wonderful ,timeless
September 20, 2009
A simple story about loving life and family from Marcel Pagnol's memories of his childhood in the hills of Provence, France.
August 28, 2009
Some what of a dissapointment after the amazing Glorie of mon Pere
½ August 24, 2009
From the way the critics talk, you'd think this was some light-weight piece of fluff. It's not. Far from it. I think some critics may be deceived because this seems so much a children's story, but just because the story appears to be told from a child's perspective, does not make it a piece of juvenalia. The narrator is actually a full grown adult ala CInema Paradiso, and the story he tells, while it is perhaps not as powerful as Cinema Paradiso, is definitely powerful enough. This seems to be a cross between a slice-of-life and a coming-of-age film. It is both, but it is also a story of a mother who endures much with no complaint in order for the members of her family to succeed. She truly is their their bedrock, their stable foundation, and she pays the price for this fortitude.