My Neighbor Totoro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Neighbor Totoro Reviews

½ June 14, 2018
I was really skeptical when I first started watching because the pace of the movie was so slow going in, but by the end I was in love with the story. It can be a little bit weird at times, but it has to be one of the most charming animated movies I've ever seen.

There's a really strong heart at the core of this movie that just reminds you how it was to be a little kid, since most adults just can't remember anything after they were six years old
June 5, 2018
I can't describe how delighted am I after I've just finished watching this movie. This is the best movie that captured the childhood very accurately. The children characters behave so realistically that I couldn't believe my eyes while watching them play, cry, laugh, or doing anything. I didn't felt like I was watching a child in front of me, but I felt like I was watching my younger self. I felt like I was watching myself as a child. As if my childhood memories were being displayed before me. Even if I haven't done that thing the characters did, I feel that my younger self would do the exact thing. That doesn't mean anything but that Hayao Miyazaki is a real genius!

But the greatest thing about My Neighbor Totoro isn't how realistic it feels, but it's the fabulous message it delivers, and the thing that is more fascinating is the way it delivers this message. I really shouldn't spoil anything about this gorgeous film, but it delivers a message about facing the fear; the fear of everything, and the fear in all its kinds and levels. Miyazaki merged this message with this story that almost has no plot! I shouldn't call it delivering the message, instead, I should call it merging or combining the message with the story, or rather I should say that Miyazaki created an entire story from a message!

Hayao Miyazaki proved that it's not even necessary for a movie to have an antagonist, or at least not a common one, as I mentioned above, the story itself is about a message about facing the fear. And I didn't feel at any time throughout the movie that I need a common antagonist or a usual problem to be invested in the movie. I was engaged and hooked from the very beginning of the movie till the end credits scene, which is very cool, by the way. The thing is that at the third act the movie changed completely in terms of the plot; it turned from a plot-free movie to a movie that has a real plot and a very serious problem. The plot and its problem didn't come from nowhere; they are attached very well to the story from its beginning, and it's been appeared later that the plot is kinda share the same message of the story, but the problem is that the movie changed a great deal when it moved from its second to the third act. It was like the movie betrayed itself after promising that it well keep the audience on the edge of their seat without using any problem or obstacle. Yes I've been engaged again and invested in the story with its plot because I cared about every single character, but it took me a little time, and I really felt disturbed and annoyed with this inconsistency.

Overall, I can say that My Neighbor Totoro is an imaginative tale that every parent should take his child and watch it with him or her. Because it's message is actually more important to the adults.

I prefer My Neighbor Totoro to Spirited Away, but let's face it, Spirited Away is the best Miyazaki movie!

(8.5/10)
½ May 24, 2018
If a bit long at first, My neighbor Totoro's charming character moments more than makes up for its early flaws.
May 9, 2018
this is one of the best movies I have ever seen! I cannot recommend this cinematic masterpiece more!
May 3, 2018
While it will require some research into Japanese customs to get, even on a family level, this is hands-down one of the most adorable films you will ever see, plus it has many fun moments that are found in Miyazaki's later works (such as the bus stop scene later making a brief similar appearance in Spirited Away).
April 27, 2018
Simple and charming.
April 19, 2018
Capturing the beauty of childhood through nature with heavy doses of spiritualism, this enchanting animation is everything that a children's movie should be. It proves that experience can be gained from non threatening situations, and that learning can occur while preserving innocence. It's a welcome break from Western approaches to the genre, avoiding any gloom whatsoever in favor of playful wisdom.
April 9, 2018
Just a really pleasant kids movie.

I had no idea what to expect from this movie, went into it just knowing that there's a big creature in it and that it's a famous Ghibli movie.
Slowly came to realize that it's pretty much a movie directed at mostly kids. There was no dark twist or big crisis.

The animation was extremely well done. It's always good to see. The music was for me the highest point of this movie. It was always beautiful and mesmerizing. The story was very adequate, worked well enough. The characters were pretty much all good people. The magical elements of the movie were beautifully done, very creative.

The tone of the movie really worked for me. Felt very languid and relaxed. It felt like I was soaking up the summer. This movie was a pretty good reminder of what it's like to be a kid. Nice little nostalgia inducing movie.

They only thing that maybe disappointed me a bit was the rather flat nature of the plot progression here. All the story elements were pretty much tame, if we take everything we're shown at face value. I guess that's due to the unambitious nature of the movie. It's not out to tell a heartbreaking human drama or something of the sort, it just captures its own little tame tale. And that's fine. But because of this it also didn't really stay in my mind a whole lot.
March 30, 2018
Totoro was barely in this movie. Extremely underwhelming, barely any plot. The animation was amazing but overall this should not have been a full-length feature film. I am a huge Studio Ghibli fan but after watching this movie again for the first time in a few years I have realized how little Totoro you see for a movie that is called 'My Neighbor Totoro'.
½ March 26, 2018
A beautifully drawn heartwarming masterpiece, some of studio Ghibli's finest work.
½ March 17, 2018
An instant classic & standard setter for anime films, "My Neighbor Totoro" is an amazing portrait of childhood innocence.
½ February 8, 2018
Fun fantasy cartoon about a sick mother and 2 girls moving to a new place. At times the monsters are in my opinion are little scary for kids. The story is simple enough and told well enough that it makes it believable.
February 2, 2018
easily the best miyazaki film. this is because it brought immense nostalgia with it soooo this review is biased !
February 2, 2018
True it does not exceed Spirited Away when put side by side, but still a masterpiece nonetheless. It's gentle. It's soothing. It's enchanting. It's everything I wanted in my childhood.
½ January 26, 2018
a brilliant work of art and story
½ January 24, 2018
Very impressive animation and scenes of awe and wonderment make My Neighbor Totoro an enjoyable anime movie for kids and adults.
January 21, 2018
What a fun, creative, and colorful way to open with credits. Really cool to see how old fashioned it still is the way the family in the movie is living. The way they wash their clothes and dry them and even how they take a bath. The family seems very happy and tight knit but I wonder if they do have a mother. It's really cute and funny to see how the big sister looks like her mother and the little sister looks like her father.

Of course, as always, the animation is wonderful and the artwork and colors are beautiful. Again, you can see in this movie, the love, respect, and fascination that Miyazaki has for nature. The creatures in this movie are really cute. The music is brilliant. It compliments what's on screen so well. Both beautiful and whimsical.

Being that the little sister is very young, and still has an active imagination and has nothing to do, I start to wonder if she's creating these creatures in her head. Kind of like what children do when their outside playing.

To see how Totoro enjoys the raindrops falling on his umbrella put a smile on my face. And then his reaction afterwards. The cat bus! Oh my god. When I saw that, that was amazing. When they made the plants grow, that was so beautiful. Almost teared up.

Overall, wonderfully beautiful and meditative film about childhood and family relationships and a big bear-looking creature called Totoro. I love Miyazaki films. They have this almost magical and whimsical feel about them that no other types of movies have. They also feel nostalgic. All I know is that I will keep watching his movies again and again.
January 9, 2018
My favorite Studio Ghibli movie of all time and a great child hood memory.
January 1, 2018
When I was a kid, anime was never part of my entertaining rutine and to be honest it never interested me. However, things have changed, and as a self-declared cinephile you have open your mind to more movie genres. Being said that a while ago I started watching Studio Ghibli films. This one was the first I ever watched and have to say it hooked me in from start to the ending. The lovable title character and the adorable sisters made this trip even more fun. Innocent and heart-warming. I loved it.
Rating: 8.5 out of 10.
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Una de las películas más sobrevaloradas de la historia, el argumento de esta película es extremadamente infantil y no digo que no se puede disfrutar, siempre y cuando no seas mayor de...no se, mientras aun seas un niño inocente.