My Neighbor Totoro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Neighbor Totoro Reviews

January 9, 2018
My favorite Studio Ghibli movie of all time and a great child hood memory.
January 1, 2018
When I was a kid, anime was never part of my entertaining rutine and to be honest it never interested me. However, things have changed, and as a self-declared cinephile you have open your mind to more movie genres. Being said that a while ago I started watching Studio Ghibli films. This one was the first I ever watched and have to say it hooked me in from start to the ending. The lovable title character and the adorable sisters made this trip even more fun. Innocent and heart-warming. I loved it.
Rating: 8.5 out of 10.
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Una de las películas más sobrevaloradas de la historia, el argumento de esta película es extremadamente infantil y no digo que no se puede disfrutar, siempre y cuando no seas mayor de...no se, mientras aun seas un nińo inocente.
½ December 1, 2017
Lovely and simple, but contains a lot more that what meets the eye. My Neighbor Totoro is one of those movies that you don't watch just to watch it, there will always be a new motivation and new meanings to be found.
November 27, 2017
One of the best children's movies of all times, and by "children's movie" I mean it has something for all of us.
November 21, 2017
7 7 8 7 8 8 7 8 8 7 = 75
November 14, 2017
I watched "My Neighbor Totoro."This movie was Japanese animation and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli in 1988. It is the very famous movie in Japan. And this is one of the popular movie in Ghibli and also loved by many generations of people.
This movie's main characters are "Totoro, and it is a mysterious animal, "Satsuki", she is a girl who is very steady, and"Mei", she is younger sister of Satsuki.
Firstly, Satsuki and Mei and their father moved to countryside for their sickly mother. In the new their house, they were surprised because suddenly "Makkuro Kurosuke" appeared. "Makkuro Kurosuke" is black dust however they has eyes and also move anywhere. It's very mysterious... However the two girls were enjoying the house. One day, Mei found a very small load while playing alone and she walked through the load. In the place that she reached, she found a very big animal that has never seen. The animal named "Totoro" by Mei. After that they sometimes met Totoro, and they helped by Totoro.
I personally think the best scene of this movie is the scene that Satsuki was searching Mei. Satsuki tried to her best running to find Mei. And Totoro & Nekobus helped her and she could find Mei. I was very moved in this scene, and you will be too.
I think the writer wants to tell you children's pure heart. This is because only children who have pure heart can see and meet Totoro. There is a phrase in the music "Kodomo no toki ni dake anata ni otozureru fushigina deai". This means A mysterious meeting while only you are child. I love this phrase so much and the phrase make me excited. Adults can't see Totoro. I am 19 years old yet, so I might be able to see Totoro. I really want to see Totoro. If you want to remember your pure heart, I recommend "My neighbor Totoro."
November 13, 2017
Hayao Miyazaki is the famous movie director of Studio Ghibli and My neighbor Totoro is one of the most famous movies in Japan especially. When I watched this movie, I could feel nostalgic because the movie reminded me of hanging out with my friends during my childhood. For example, I often played with my friends in a park which is called KAIGARAYAMAKOUEN(shell mountain park) or in Tokyo when I was a child and there was some trouble. The movie of Totoro also has one big problem, so I personally think if you watch My neighbor Totoro, you can connect the movie with some your memory.
Besides, the story is written by child's perspective so I could back to my childhood while I was watching it.

Totoro also has a lot of unique expression of Ghibli. For example, the movie has beautiful green pictures and many emotions of characters. Especially, "Wind" is one of the most important things in Totoro because when the emotions of characters are changed by something, "Wind" will blow. This is my most interesting point in Totoro. I can enjoy watching the movie every time.
Satsuki, Mei and their father moved to a farm village because of the their mother's disease. One day, when Mei played by herself, she found Totoro and she built a good relationship with Totoro and another day, Satsuki also found it. So far the story had progressed smoothly but in their summer vacation, they received a bad message about their mother from a hospital. Then Mei tried to go to the hospital by herself. I think this part was the most important section because the atmosphere of this story was changed. (of course, "Wind" was blowing.) Besides, as I wrote, I could remember my childhood and feel the pure heart of Mei because children usually love their mother. Incidentally, I will go to see my mother even in my case. lol

If you watch a movie of Ghibli, you can see beautiful pictures, changes in emotion of characters and so on as I wrote above but My neighbor Totoro teaches us "What is the pure heart of children."This meaning is that we can just feel it but it is usually difficult for us, adults, to remember the feelings of children in our life. However, Totoro has an ability to remind us of our own childhood. So I want you to watch this movie to feel the same feeling as me. Also, children and adults can enjoy watching it together and be moved by the movie. I hope you will watch My neighbor Totoro.
½ November 12, 2017
A pure fun movie that will make even the most cynical of movie goers happy My Neighbor Totoro is one of Studio Ghibli's best work to date
½ November 3, 2017
My Neighbor Totoro is not merely a children's film, but a looking-glass scrutiny of a child's mind. Themes of innocence, imagination, and visual memories ooze from the film's beautiful images.
October 24, 2017
This is a very good movie for all ages
½ October 12, 2017
My Neighbor Totoro doesn't go to the creative lengths of some of Miyazaki's other work, but it is nonetheless a beautifully animated and sweet feature that's a lot of fun to watch.
October 9, 2017
My Neighbor Totoro is an animated movie that was produced by Hayao Miyazaki that was released in Japan during 1988 and then re-released in America during 1993. My Neighbor Totoro was released through Studio Ghibli, a company that is famous for what most would call masterpieces like Spirited Away, and Ponyo that has swayed the hearts of many through a combination of story, music, and animation. While the movie was not heavily received during release it is now considered an international phenomenon. My Neighbor Totoro is a film about two girls and their first days moving into a new house so that the girls and their father could live closer to their sick mother. It then delves into the girl's adventures of moving in and meeting their neighbors, spiritual and human. When they are first coming into the house they meet soot sprites, reminiscent of dust bunnies, but living creatures. These soot sprites are their first experience with spirits before they end up meeting three Totoros, these creatures whom are said to be guardians of the forest, as the girls go upon their day, along with a cat bus that is reminiscent of the Cheshire cat from Alice in wonderland.

Despite being a Studio Ghibli film, My Neighbor Totoro is oddly different from the usual formula of using music and animation to progress a great story that can hit at the hearts of young adults. Instead, it seems like Miyazaki had designed this to hit at an emotion that was forgotten by many animators, nostalgia. This focus on nostalgia and letting the audience know that you can grow up without losing that innocent mindset causes Miyazaki to focus more on character building and world building.
To start it off, almost all the story is told from the point of view of children characters, and the few times that you see it from adults they talk about the situation from what they imagine as a child. By choosing this direction, Miyazaki sets the feeling of the being a child's perspective and be so tolerant of the kid's talking about spirits bringing in the idea that they can still grow up and mature without having to lose the imagination that they would have. You also have the choice of a watercolor background to be reminiscent of what we would imagine in a flashback to childhood and maybe even the magical nature that is the childhood imagination. On top of the water color background you have the music which while simple, in lyrics and sounds, lets you know exactly what mood the scene is supposed to bring in. The design of the spirits that they meet bring this in too, though one might not imagine.

The biggest complaint about this film is that critics will say that there is little to no plot in the story. While I cannot say that I disagree with this statement, I will say that having a plot like what most people expect from a Studio Ghibli film is perfect for this film. What most people tend to forget about when watching this is that this is a story of Miyazaki's past, and this story is meant to remind people of the past that one will most certainly forget about as an adult who is busy working. Forcing this movie to have a more intricate plot would backfire and be less nostalgic than the movie ended up being. The second issue that people talk about is that people think that the movie is childish, and while it is true that it is a childish piece, it is a piece that is supposed to bring out the magical nature of childhood, so this has to be expected. What these people miss is that unlike other cartoons, this is a movie that does not talk down to its adult audience, but in fact brings them in by being there.

In the end, My Neighbor Totoro is still a magical piece of Miyazaki's that will last upon the ages like that of Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh. With the biggest message of this piece telling us that while we can grow up in age that we do not have to lose the innocence and love in order to do so.
½ September 17, 2017
Wildly imaginative with catchy songs, it will delight younger kids for whom things don't really need to make sense. The story of the genesis of this classic in the DVD extra materials is interesting in that it reflects the origins of the animator - and has led to a real Japanese Land Trust. (The Extras show video of real scenes recreated in the film.) It's not the classic that is "Grave of the Fireflies," heartrending & poignant adult animation ABOUT children that never leaves you; this is FOR children - and is delightful in its own unique non-Pixar world. I mean really, a cat-bus? But that's what makes it unique & fun & imaginative in a way appreciated by those for whom everything & anything is possible! | - Norm de Guerre
September 8, 2017
Pure Children Fantasy. The faintest memory of my childhood connected to this film are the following words: "The Dragon Cat"; As described in Chinese by my father to me.
½ September 7, 2017
A truly magical & whimsical film focused on children but no doubt with catch the wonder of adults alike.

The story of two girls who move with their father to outside Tokyo in rural Japan & quickly spark a friendship with Totoro (A mythical creature that I believe was the inspiration for the Pokémon Snorlax) in a nearby forest.

This film is just wonderful, the animation, the playful mood & just the fun & excitement of being a kid. A truly beautiful & memorable film & must see of Studio Ghibli.
½ July 23, 2017
The film that launched legendary animation director Hayao Miyazaki on the road to success and there's a reason why: it is simply a delightful masterpiece that demonstrates Miyazaki at his absolute best. In terms of plot this flick can be summed up in a single sentence (Two innocent little girls move into a rural town where they encounter the lovable forest spirit: Totoro) and there are zero conflicts or villains to speak of. This sounds off-putting at first but upon watching; the simplicity of the plot is what contributes to Totoro's charm.

Instead of focusing on plot, the film follows the various life situations faced by the film's adorable and lifelike little girls in the form of Satsuki and Mei. Most of the situations involve the two sisters settling down into their new homes and meeting their neighbors (both human and spirit). Sometimes the film is funny, sometimes it's scary, sometimes it's wondrous, and quite sad a few times but it all is held together by how it stays true to the essence of life in general. Kazuo Oga's beautiful background art gives great nuance to the forest settings and emits a warm nostalgic feel of nature's beauty. Even though some zany fantasy elements persist in the film (one highlight is the crazy but awesome cat-bus), the film never loses its sense of realism or emotional center. The big, silent, and playful Totoro is immediately endearing and it is very clear how he became the Winnie the Pooh of Japan.

The animation is absolutely exquisite and the music is simply wonderful. Sure to leave a smile and warm fuzzy feeling in anybody (If it didn't then you have no soul).
½ July 22, 2017
Despite the fact I used to watch anime in my youth, I have never seen a Studio Ghibli film (I tried watching "Spirited Away" back when it came out in theatres but its grotesque visuals scared the shit out of my 4 year old self). But due to their popularity I finally decided to catch up and I have to say, what a solid and memorable beginning for a studio. "My Neighbor Totoro" tells a simple but effective story filled with imagination, the animation is top notch, the creature design is simple but memorable, the setting is quite beautiful, and overall it is quite charming and entertaining.
½ July 10, 2017
Classic, if not a little dull.
June 25, 2017
It's definitely resumed Ghibli's run of great masterpieces at A-level. It's the most gentle with cuteness, along with the same fun, wonders and imagination and creativity to a story that's smaller than previous works prior - hence the gentleness. The exhilaration returned within the lovable Totoro character - who represents the usual imagination for a kid(s) to have a fun adventure with real/fictitious imagination.

But here's something I'd realized: Miyazaki's "Totoro" has a target audience of mostly young girls and kids. (And there's a scene where you don't want to hear any crying.)

However, it's for everyone to enjoy this another storytelling masterpiece from the master storyteller Hayao Miyazaki, being like a Japanese version of Walt Disney. The heartening atmosphere returned in this since "Castle in the Sky" after the grimly "Grave of the Fireflies." (A-)

(Full review TBD)

The film's 2006 dub (obviously better than the first dub by 20th Century Fox in 1998) by Disney stars the Fanning sisters Dakota (from The Twilight Saga, "Dreamer," and "Coraline") and Elle ("Daddy Day Care," "We Bought a Zoo" and "Maleficient").