My Neighbor Totoro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Neighbor Totoro Reviews

April 19, 2018
Capturing the beauty of childhood through nature with heavy doses of spiritualism, this enchanting animation is everything that a children's movie should be. It proves that experience can be gained from non threatening situations, and that learning can occur while preserving innocence. It's a welcome break from Western approaches to the genre, avoiding any gloom whatsoever in favor of playful wisdom.
April 9, 2018
Just a really pleasant kids movie.

I had no idea what to expect from this movie, went into it just knowing that there's a big creature in it and that it's a famous Ghibli movie.
Slowly came to realize that it's pretty much a movie directed at mostly kids. There was no dark twist or big crisis.

The animation was extremely well done. It's always good to see. The music was for me the highest point of this movie. It was always beautiful and mesmerizing. The story was very adequate, worked well enough. The characters were pretty much all good people. The magical elements of the movie were beautifully done, very creative.

The tone of the movie really worked for me. Felt very languid and relaxed. It felt like I was soaking up the summer. This movie was a pretty good reminder of what it's like to be a kid. Nice little nostalgia inducing movie.

They only thing that maybe disappointed me a bit was the rather flat nature of the plot progression here. All the story elements were pretty much tame, if we take everything we're shown at face value. I guess that's due to the unambitious nature of the movie. It's not out to tell a heartbreaking human drama or something of the sort, it just captures its own little tame tale. And that's fine. But because of this it also didn't really stay in my mind a whole lot.
March 30, 2018
Totoro was barely in this movie. Extremely underwhelming, barely any plot. The animation was amazing but overall this should not have been a full-length feature film. I am a huge Studio Ghibli fan but after watching this movie again for the first time in a few years I have realized how little Totoro you see for a movie that is called 'My Neighbor Totoro'.
½ March 26, 2018
A beautifully drawn heartwarming masterpiece, some of studio Ghibli's finest work.
½ March 17, 2018
An instant classic & standard setter for anime films, "My Neighbor Totoro" is an amazing portrait of childhood innocence.
February 17, 2018
While it will require some research into Japanese customs to get, even on a family level, this is hands-down one of the most adorable films you will ever see, plus it has many fun elements and moments that will foreshadow Miyazaki's future work (such as the bus stop scene later making a brief similar appearance in Spirited Away).
½ February 8, 2018
Fun fantasy cartoon about a sick mother and 2 girls moving to a new place. At times the monsters are in my opinion are little scary for kids. The story is simple enough and told well enough that it makes it believable.
February 2, 2018
easily the best miyazaki film. this is because it brought immense nostalgia with it soooo this review is biased !
February 2, 2018
True it does not exceed Spirited Away when put side by side, but still a masterpiece nonetheless. It's gentle. It's soothing. It's enchanting. It's everything I wanted in my childhood.
½ January 26, 2018
a brilliant work of art and story
½ January 24, 2018
Very impressive animation and scenes of awe and wonderment make My Neighbor Totoro an enjoyable anime movie for kids and adults.
January 21, 2018
What a fun, creative, and colorful way to open with credits. Really cool to see how old fashioned it still is the way the family in the movie is living. The way they wash their clothes and dry them and even how they take a bath. The family seems very happy and tight knit but I wonder if they do have a mother. It's really cute and funny to see how the big sister looks like her mother and the little sister looks like her father.

Of course, as always, the animation is wonderful and the artwork and colors are beautiful. Again, you can see in this movie, the love, respect, and fascination that Miyazaki has for nature. The creatures in this movie are really cute. The music is brilliant. It compliments what's on screen so well. Both beautiful and whimsical.

Being that the little sister is very young, and still has an active imagination and has nothing to do, I start to wonder if she's creating these creatures in her head. Kind of like what children do when their outside playing.

To see how Totoro enjoys the raindrops falling on his umbrella put a smile on my face. And then his reaction afterwards. The cat bus! Oh my god. When I saw that, that was amazing. When they made the plants grow, that was so beautiful. Almost teared up.

Overall, wonderfully beautiful and meditative film about childhood and family relationships and a big bear-looking creature called Totoro. I love Miyazaki films. They have this almost magical and whimsical feel about them that no other types of movies have. They also feel nostalgic. All I know is that I will keep watching his movies again and again.
January 9, 2018
My favorite Studio Ghibli movie of all time and a great child hood memory.
January 1, 2018
When I was a kid, anime was never part of my entertaining rutine and to be honest it never interested me. However, things have changed, and as a self-declared cinephile you have open your mind to more movie genres. Being said that a while ago I started watching Studio Ghibli films. This one was the first I ever watched and have to say it hooked me in from start to the ending. The lovable title character and the adorable sisters made this trip even more fun. Innocent and heart-warming. I loved it.
Rating: 8.5 out of 10.
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Una de las películas más sobrevaloradas de la historia, el argumento de esta película es extremadamente infantil y no digo que no se puede disfrutar, siempre y cuando no seas mayor de...no se, mientras aun seas un niño inocente.
½ December 1, 2017
Lovely and simple, but contains a lot more that what meets the eye. My Neighbor Totoro is one of those movies that you don't watch just to watch it, there will always be a new motivation and new meanings to be found.
November 27, 2017
One of the best children's movies of all times, and by "children's movie" I mean it has something for all of us.
November 21, 2017
7 7 8 7 8 8 7 8 8 7 = 75
November 14, 2017
I watched "My Neighbor Totoro."This movie was Japanese animation and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli in 1988. It is the very famous movie in Japan. And this is one of the popular movie in Ghibli and also loved by many generations of people.
This movie's main characters are "Totoro, and it is a mysterious animal, "Satsuki", she is a girl who is very steady, and"Mei", she is younger sister of Satsuki.
Firstly, Satsuki and Mei and their father moved to countryside for their sickly mother. In the new their house, they were surprised because suddenly "Makkuro Kurosuke" appeared. "Makkuro Kurosuke" is black dust however they has eyes and also move anywhere. It's very mysterious... However the two girls were enjoying the house. One day, Mei found a very small load while playing alone and she walked through the load. In the place that she reached, she found a very big animal that has never seen. The animal named "Totoro" by Mei. After that they sometimes met Totoro, and they helped by Totoro.
I personally think the best scene of this movie is the scene that Satsuki was searching Mei. Satsuki tried to her best running to find Mei. And Totoro & Nekobus helped her and she could find Mei. I was very moved in this scene, and you will be too.
I think the writer wants to tell you children's pure heart. This is because only children who have pure heart can see and meet Totoro. There is a phrase in the music "Kodomo no toki ni dake anata ni otozureru fushigina deai". This means A mysterious meeting while only you are child. I love this phrase so much and the phrase make me excited. Adults can't see Totoro. I am 19 years old yet, so I might be able to see Totoro. I really want to see Totoro. If you want to remember your pure heart, I recommend "My neighbor Totoro."
November 13, 2017
Hayao Miyazaki is the famous movie director of Studio Ghibli and My neighbor Totoro is one of the most famous movies in Japan especially. When I watched this movie, I could feel nostalgic because the movie reminded me of hanging out with my friends during my childhood. For example, I often played with my friends in a park which is called KAIGARAYAMAKOUEN(shell mountain park) or in Tokyo when I was a child and there was some trouble. The movie of Totoro also has one big problem, so I personally think if you watch My neighbor Totoro, you can connect the movie with some your memory.
Besides, the story is written by child's perspective so I could back to my childhood while I was watching it.

Totoro also has a lot of unique expression of Ghibli. For example, the movie has beautiful green pictures and many emotions of characters. Especially, "Wind" is one of the most important things in Totoro because when the emotions of characters are changed by something, "Wind" will blow. This is my most interesting point in Totoro. I can enjoy watching the movie every time.
Satsuki, Mei and their father moved to a farm village because of the their mother's disease. One day, when Mei played by herself, she found Totoro and she built a good relationship with Totoro and another day, Satsuki also found it. So far the story had progressed smoothly but in their summer vacation, they received a bad message about their mother from a hospital. Then Mei tried to go to the hospital by herself. I think this part was the most important section because the atmosphere of this story was changed. (of course, "Wind" was blowing.) Besides, as I wrote, I could remember my childhood and feel the pure heart of Mei because children usually love their mother. Incidentally, I will go to see my mother even in my case. lol

If you watch a movie of Ghibli, you can see beautiful pictures, changes in emotion of characters and so on as I wrote above but My neighbor Totoro teaches us "What is the pure heart of children."This meaning is that we can just feel it but it is usually difficult for us, adults, to remember the feelings of children in our life. However, Totoro has an ability to remind us of our own childhood. So I want you to watch this movie to feel the same feeling as me. Also, children and adults can enjoy watching it together and be moved by the movie. I hope you will watch My neighbor Totoro.