My Neighbor Totoro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Neighbor Totoro Reviews

½ September 17, 2017
Wildly imaginative with catchy songs, it will delight younger kids for whom things don't really need to make sense. The story of the genesis of this classic in the DVD extra materials is interesting in that it reflects the origins of the animator - and has led to a real Japanese Land Trust. (The Extras show video of real scenes recreated in the film.) It's not the classic that is "Grave of the Fireflies," heartrending & poignant adult animation ABOUT children that never leaves you; this is FOR children - and is delightful in its own unique non-Pixar world. I mean really, a cat-bus? But that's what makes it unique & fun & imaginative in a way appreciated by those for whom everything & anything is possible! | - Norm de Guerre
September 8, 2017
Pure Children Fantasy. The faintest memory of my childhood connected to this film are the following words: "The Dragon Cat"; As described in Chinese by my father to me.
½ September 7, 2017
A truly magical & whimsical film focused on children but no doubt with catch the wonder of adults alike.

The story of two girls who move with their father to outside Tokyo in rural Japan & quickly spark a friendship with Totoro (A mythical creature that I believe was the inspiration for the Pokémon Snorlax) in a nearby forest.

This film is just wonderful, the animation, the playful mood & just the fun & excitement of being a kid. A truly beautiful & memorable film & must see of Studio Ghibli.
August 10, 2017
Very good movie.
Rating: 8.5/10.
½ July 23, 2017
The film that launched legendary animation director Hayao Miyazaki on the road to success and there's a reason why: it is simply a delightful masterpiece that demonstrates Miyazaki at his absolute best. In terms of plot this flick can be summed up in a single sentence (Two innocent little girls move into a rural town where they encounter the lovable forest spirit: Totoro) and there are zero conflicts or villains to speak of. This sounds off-putting at first but upon watching; the simplicity of the plot is what contributes to Totoro's charm.

Instead of focusing on plot, the film follows the various life situations faced by the film's adorable and lifelike little girls in the form of Satsuki and Mei. Most of the situations involve the two sisters settling down into their new homes and meeting their neighbors (both human and spirit). Sometimes the film is funny, sometimes it's scary, sometimes it's wondrous, and quite sad a few times but it all is held together by how it stays true to the essence of life in general. Kazuo Oga's beautiful background art gives great nuance to the forest settings and emits a warm nostalgic feel of nature's beauty. Even though some zany fantasy elements persist in the film (one highlight is the crazy but awesome cat-bus), the film never loses its sense of realism or emotional center. The big, silent, and playful Totoro is immediately endearing and it is very clear how he became the Winnie the Pooh of Japan.

The animation is absolutely exquisite and the music is simply wonderful. Sure to leave a smile and warm fuzzy feeling in anybody (If it didn't then you have no soul).
½ July 22, 2017
Despite the fact I used to watch anime in my youth, I have never seen a Studio Ghibli film (I tried watching "Spirited Away" back when it came out in theatres but its grotesque visuals scared the shit out of my 4 year old self). But due to their popularity I finally decided to catch up and I have to say, what a solid and memorable beginning for a studio. "My Neighbor Totoro" tells a simple but effective story filled with imagination, the animation is top notch, the creature design is simple but memorable, the setting is quite beautiful, and overall it is quite charming and entertaining.
½ July 10, 2017
Classic, if not a little dull.
July 9, 2017
My Neighbor Totoro is not merely a children's film, but a looking-glass scrutiny of a child's mind. Themes of innocence, imagination, and visual memories ooze from the film's beautiful images.
June 25, 2017
It's definitely resumed Ghibli's run of great masterpieces at A-level. It's the most gentle with cuteness, along with the same fun, wonders and imagination and creativity to a story that's smaller than previous works prior - hence the gentleness. The exhilaration returned within the lovable Totoro character - who represents the usual imagination for a kid(s) to have a fun adventure with real/fictitious imagination.

But here's something I'd realized: Miyazaki's "Totoro" has a target audience of mostly young girls and kids. (And there's a scene where you don't want to hear any crying.)

However, it's for everyone to enjoy this another storytelling masterpiece from the master storyteller Hayao Miyazaki, being like a Japanese version of Walt Disney. The heartening atmosphere returned in this since "Castle in the Sky" after the grimly "Grave of the Fireflies." (A-)

(Full review TBD)

The film's 2006 dub (obviously better than the first dub by 20th Century Fox in 1998) by Disney stars the Fanning sisters Dakota (from The Twilight Saga, "Dreamer," and "Coraline") and Elle ("Daddy Day Care," "We Bought a Zoo" and "Maleficient").
June 24, 2017
The first few minutes may be a bit cutsy with these two little girls running around, but overall, My Neighbor Totoro is a classic, it captures childhood and living in the countryside so well, it feels real though its animation. Miyazaki puts such amazing detail in how these characters move. I understand some people not liking it after hearing all the hype, but I think this is a must watch.
½ June 22, 2017
A great anime classic! Great voice work as well as animation.
June 19, 2017
I love this movie so much. It has a good atmosphere and the characters are extremely likable. This story is also creative. This movie can capture your emotions and feelings too. The animation is really nice too. I just really love this movie. Definitely worth a watch. It has something for everyone. It's also pretty relatable too. They did a really good jobs with this movie. A+
June 19, 2017
Totoro is so chill. It is for young kids mind you, however the subtlety and beauty is why this is a classic.
June 15, 2017
Odd anime tale #amsterdam #imdbtop250
June 13, 2017
Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, with a very large Cheshire cat. A simple story of a young girl dealing with own family struggles, with the fantastical animals aiding her along the way.
June 12, 2017
A family in Japan went to live in the mountain because the mother needs natural remedies to cure her disease. Her husband is in a rural house with his daughters. But the youngest gets lost in the forest and her sister run after her. They meet an animal called Totoro who is a god of of the forest, then they have a fantastic adventure.
In my opinion is an artwork and a fantastic choice for a day out with the family, or if you don't know what film to see.
The best moment is the end, but you need to see it to know why.
½ June 10, 2017
My Neighbor Totoro is a gentle, leisurely, simple slice of life film that offers you a heartwarming look into the eyes of a child without ever succumbing to clichéd conflicts and villains and thus it led to an original, more realistic take on an animated film. The characters are lovable, the creatures even more so and the animation is as brilliant as you would come to expect from the studio with a painstaking level of detail. It is a beautiful movie that is timeless in quality and it's one of Studio Ghibli's best.
June 3, 2017
A sweet and heart-warming story. Beautifully drawn with rich colors. It makes me want to relive my childhood once again..
May 21, 2017
Beautiful, magical animated film!!!
½ May 13, 2017
The story doesn't have much substance and the two main characters can get a little annoying at times, but the very pretty animation, really lovable animal side characters (particularly the titular character), and the overall positive atmosphere are enough to make this a decent Miyazaki flick for kids.