My Reputation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Reputation Reviews

½ May 15, 2016
To me, Barbara Stanwyck is such the prototypical noir femme fatale, but her Pre-Code works like 'Baby Face' are masterpieces, and her other works, in which she shows her vulnerability, are just as appetizing to the cinephile. Excellent for fans of drama or melodrama, especially from that era, when a widow who's nagging, overbearing mother won't let her find happiness because of what the neighbours would say, just can't take it any more. To a certain extent, with current society, our constantly trying to fit in and get approval from others makes this just as relevant today.

She had a decent, not great, supporting cast to work with, and though director Bernhardt wasn't A-list (my favourite of his is 'Possessed' with Joan Crawford), he's all right for this material, and the Warner Brothers' production values, including Max Steiner doing the score and gorgeous photography from James Wong Howe, make this a lesser-known, under-the-radar, hidden gem you might enjoy.
April 19, 2015
year s/b 1946 not 2007
April 29, 2012
year s/b 1946 not 2007
½ December 30, 2008
Barbara Stanwyck uplifts this fine melodrama. She is terrific as always. Great supporting cast, good screenplay. Nicely produced, a fine classic.