My Reputation Reviews

• Sep 24, 2017

My Reputation is an okay film. It is about a recent widow meets an army major while skiing. Barbara Stanwyck and George Brent give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Curtis Bernhardt did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the romance.

• Aug 15, 2017

Barbara Stanwyck uplifts this fine melodrama. She is terrific as always. Great supporting cast, good screenplay. Nicely produced, a fine classic.

• Mar 13, 2017

Stanwyck performance helps a mediocre script. A nice way to spend 90 minutes.

Stanwyck performance helps a mediocre script. A nice way to spend 90 minutes.

• May 15, 2016

To me, Barbara Stanwyck is such the prototypical noir femme fatale, but her Pre-Code works like 'Baby Face' are masterpieces, and her other works, in which she shows her vulnerability, are just as appetizing to the cinephile. Excellent for fans of drama or melodrama, especially from that era, when a widow who's nagging, overbearing mother won't let her find happiness because of what the neighbours would say, just can't take it any more. To a certain extent, with current society, our constantly trying to fit in and get approval from others makes this just as relevant today. She had a decent, not great, supporting cast to work with, and though director Bernhardt wasn't A-list (my favourite of his is 'Possessed' with Joan Crawford), he's all right for this material, and the Warner Brothers' production values, including Max Steiner doing the score and gorgeous photography from James Wong Howe, make this a lesser-known, under-the-radar, hidden gem you might enjoy.

• Apr 23, 2015

A recent widow is besieged with gossip and innuendo when she begins dating again. Bland performances and typical period censorship keep this from being the sharp social criticism it was surely meant to be.

• Apr 20, 2015

Widowed socialite in her early 30s, expected by her two boys, her mother, and her friends to grieve her husband's death for a lengthy period of time, instead meets and falls in love with a randy, masculine soldier--a man who clearly informs her he's not the marrying kind. Although she isn't quite the motherly type, Barbara Stanwyck gives yet another of her sterling performances in the lead. Whether standing up to the gossipy biddies in her town or trying to explain her definition of love to her sons, Stanwyck never hits a false note. Warner Bros. apparently had little faith in the film's appeal, keeping it on the shelf for two years, and yet it's a solid example of the 'woman's picture', a classy nosegay with one of those beautiful Hollywood finales at the train station.

• Jan 12, 2013

It's not a very complicated story, which Stanwyck seems to revel and shine in.

It's not a very complicated story, which Stanwyck seems to revel and shine in.

• Dec 27, 2012

"I'll give those ol' bitties something to gossip about!" Barbara Stanwyck bucks sexist decorum by daring to date a man after being widowed. And if that's not risqué enough, this was the first film since the inception of the "Production code" in the 1930's to show a double bed in a married couple's bedroom. A soaper to be sure, but a pretty entertaining one. And don't worry, Barbara does learn at the then, "Young people resent conventions, but as you grow older, you learn conventions were established because there was a need for them."

• Sep 30, 2012

A good performance but a soap opera feel.

A good performance but a soap opera feel.

• Jul 13, 2012

barbara stanwyk is both beautiful and charming, and she does her best with the material she's given, but "my reputation" is only mediocre at best.