My Science Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Science Project Reviews

January 1, 2019
Ok mid-80s sci-fi comedy. The best part is probably Dennis Hopper's science teacher who is fixated upon the 1960s.
November 15, 2018
I enjoy this movie. The acting and effects are not very good but I still enjoy it, I think its the car.
August 16, 2018
This movie is amazing and not just bc it is cheezy, it's an awesome must see 80s movie. I love watching this and Real Genius.
April 3, 2018
I love this movie. It is hilarious and the GTO is an Awesome car. Fisher Stevens is the comedian in this movie and makes it fun to watch. I rented this video from a video store and I was completely surprised how I enjoyed it and it was no were near a bust of a movie.A great 80's "B" movie. Lots of one liners and I love it.
February 23, 2017
Kid finds an engine pulled from a spaceship and tries to pass it off as his science project but it causes unexpected problems.
January 1, 2017
Cheesy 80's film, but I enjoy it. Well worth a watch if you've never seen it. John Stockwell and Fisher Stevens are good and Dennis Hopper has a small supporting role. The VFX are cheesy, but add to its charm. A must watch for fans of 80's films!
December 17, 2016
I dont know who copied who but this is so much like Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure-just the low budget version. Great fun. I had so much trouble finding a copy of this in video stores.
Horror Movie Project
October 16, 2016
Not the greatest movie. Dennis Hopper was the best part.
September 8, 2016
i love this movie got great cars and cool story
May 2, 2016
I enjoy cheesy 80's science fiction-esque films, and don't demand anything more then a fun vibe from them, but this film isn't all that fun, and feels cheap. Characters and their relationships are developed poorly at the film's start, they form as they do without much explanation. In an effort to find a science project to pass his class, a boy finds a gizmo in a junkyard that causes disruptions in the time continuum and leads to havoc and his science teacher disappearing. Dennis Hopper as the teacher is fairly amusing in some moments (but he's enjoyable in anything), and Fisher Stevens as the slick oddball friend of the main character delivers an overload of bad wise-cracks throughout the film, which oddly and kind of unfortunately, becomes one of the more enjoyable aspects. The rest is a display of potential going down the drain. The film cheaply avoids locations and makes the time disruption take place in the high school, where Vietnam soldiers, aliens, warriors, etc. come out. Nice special effects and prod. design here, but its just encounter after encounter with the high schoolers taking them out with weapons one after one. It's not exciting at all really, and feels restricted with little else to do. If time travel was involved, sure, but restricted to a high school, there's nothing to do, and the film falters. By the end, its disappointing with little to attain from it. It has it's 80's charms here and there, but with many science comedy offerings out around the same time period that were far better like Weird Science, I can't recommend this at all. Forgettable.
March 16, 2016
I still love this movie
July 25, 2015
This is a great movie for its day> It is remarkably accurate in theory.
½ April 30, 2015
Zombie Critics Not Allowed. Was it a great movie? No. Was it as horrible as some critics would like to make it out to be? No. This appears to be one of those movies that for what ever reason all the bullies or cowards jumped on the band wagon and refused to stand on their own two feet. Perhaps it is Dennis Hopper? Is it true that no critic will give any movie with Dennis Hopper in it a good rating. Wonder what they are afraid of? Heaven forbid the zombies go against the powers that be. As for fun factor I give it a four, continuity rates a 2, effects a 2 and in some places and a 5 so an over all 3. Acting skills were all over the place from "Outstanding" to "What the heck" It is a solid Saturday after noon movie. I rate a lot of my movies by would I watch this again and on the watch again scale of 1 to 10 it comes in at a solid 4.5 to a 5. So come on guys there are a lot of other movies out there that are much worse than this with much better ratings. Grow some intestinal fortitude and stop acting like zombie critics.
August 2, 2014
Fond memories of this movie from my childhood. My brothers and I loved Vinnie!
June 10, 2014
This is a good underrated 80's movie and I find it stupid that there's people that hate it.
May 13, 2014
Normally I love cheesy 80s movies, but this film just more boring than cheesy to me. Only the adult cast was made up of memorable actors, and that's not a good sign in a teen flick. The story is like a nerd's day dream, and not a very funny one at that. There are some good scenes, and a few laughs here and there, but nothing memorable. I can barely remember this film as I'm writing this, so excuse me if I get something wrong. This was a so-so attempt at a time traveling teenage movie. With so many other great movies in that category, though, this one doesn't shine through.
October 29, 2013
great 80's flick that didn't get enough credit imo.
March 25, 2013
This is a quirky movie I saw when it came out. It's worth a second look not for the special effects but for it's surprisingly solid storyline. Ask yourself this: Wouldn't this have qualified as one of the better Twilight Zone episodes? The teenage protagonist isn't a horn-dog nerd using magical powers to get sex (e.g., WEIRD SCIENCE), but a guy with a feeling for machinery but not an aptitude for traditional academics--not that he wouldn't like to be able to do that stuff, too. And not to be missed is the cameo of President Eisenhower explaining how the flying saucer got thrown in a junkyard.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
December 5, 2012
Forgotten eighties teen/sci-fi mash up. Not particularly good but an interesting premise. Funny that a film called My Science Project still pushes the 'geeks' to the background, though it redeems itself toward the end. Mostly a mess, this is the type of film that could benefit from a remake. And yes, that is the same John Stockwell that would go on to direct an abnormal number of films that feature water. I give it a extra half star for nostalgia and for Dennis Hopper's pre-Blue Velvet gas inhalation.