My Side of the Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Side of the Mountain Reviews

October 14, 2016
If you must see this - read the trilogy first.
½ July 16, 2016
I learned about myself.

Sam is a child that wants to go into the mountains and study alternative forms of survival on his own. His family asks him to wait till next year, so he runs away from home and lives in the mountains, not far from Quebec Canada, on his own researching wildlife and conducting experiments. He builds his own campground and forms friends in the wild to help him succeed.

"The idea of living inside a tree was perfect."

James B. Clarke, director of The Little Ark, And Now Miguel, Flipper, Drums of Africa, Misty, The Big Show, One Foot in Hell, The Sad Horse, and A Dog of Flanders, delivers My Side of the Mountain. The storyline for this picture is compelling and amazing. The settings and story are remarkable and I adored the way the characters were delivered.

"My training of Frightful began.'

I randomly came across this on Netflix and thought it was worthwhile and well done. I was amazed at the resources used by the kid and loved how the humans and animals interacted. I strongly recommend this picture to young adults or even to adults who forget how amazing humans survival tactics can be.

"The only way to know nature was to live with it."

Grade: A
½ January 7, 2016
Spoiler alert: sucks shit
February 16, 2015
A slender, honest study of a boy learning to be a man his own way.
½ January 13, 2015
The only reason it receives even this rating is for the sentimental value I have toward this story and the novel. Fast forwarded through most of it. Definitely needs a modern remake to breath life into it again.
November 8, 2014
Heartwarming story for the whole family, it teaches us to enjoy nature and its gifts but also to respect it.
July 19, 2014
I found this tale extremely irresponsible and very farfetched. In reality, this boy would have died and caused his parents untold heartbreak. But the story told had the added danger of making the situation seem very appealing to boys who like the outdoors, without stressing the danger of hypothermia, sickness, accidents or attack by either animals or humans. And what the parents were suffering was never given adequate expression. Not to mention the fact that Theodore Bickel's character should have immediately reported the kid. The only thing I approved of here was the anti-hunting message. Oh, I forgot to mention that this kid could not act his way out of a paper bag.
January 5, 2013
I remember watching this movie when I was younger with my family and falling in love with it. It's a movie that I'll never forget, great for all ages. Based on the age old story of a boy becoming a man but with a new take. Full of adventure that will thrill your young children and amuse yourself and your teens.
December 9, 2012
A cute adaptation of the beloved book. This was fun and of course cute.
½ June 3, 2012
One of the sweetest stories!
April 15, 2011
This mis-understood masterwork has long been seen as a bad adaption of the Jean Craighead George's novel. This misunderstanding has long plagued the work, miring critical appraisal to a simply a forgettable failure. By setting the film in Canada rather than Upstate New York James B. Clark has created a clear satire of the pioneering isolationist American Ideal which Sam Gribley typifies. In the fatalist universe of the Canadian wilderness, Sam's quest to survive alone in the forest fails based on Nothop Frye's concept of the Garrison Mentality . A Canadian Classic in the tradition of Roughing it in the Bush this film is a must-see!
January 20, 2011
worst movie everrrrrr
½ January 13, 2011
I can not believe I wasted one hour and forty minutes of my life watching this awful movie!!!
August 23, 2010
Very well done adaptation, we enjoyed it!
½ March 20, 2010
Considering when it was made, it was a good movie. It's takes you on a wilderness adventure with a lot of precious animals along the way!
November 16, 2009
By the screenplay, this back-to-nature adventure was set in the fall/winter of 1968 Quebec (source was a novel). A simple and remarkable tale of self-reliance. Highly recommended.
½ August 4, 2009
As a kid movie goes, I thought this movie was the coolest movie! When I saw it ... as a kid! I guess it just couldn't live up to my own hype!
I'll let you judge for yourself.
½ June 21, 2009
The pedophile that made this movie apparently thought kids would like it more if he added something that wasn't in the book. So he added algae? That's right, the young hero of the movie is obsessed with algae. It is his passion. He elaborates this sentiment several times in voice-overs.

Sometimes I think about this movie at night, and I have to bite my pillow to keep from screaming in horror.
April 18, 2009
a youthful and inspiring tale of growing up and of nature! Sweet. innocent. bright.