My Side of the Mountain Reviews

• Feb 04, 2018

Corny but enjoyable nature story about a young boy who decides to run away from his life in the city to live in the woods for a year like Thoreau. If you can get past the premise that there are 12-year olds out there who are into Thoreau, the film is compulsively watchable as we watch the boy learn how to make shelter, find food, train a falcon, and other survival skills to live off the fatted land. This is the film's main charm because the rest of the film was awfully trite, such as the boy visiting town and being teased by locals, or the kindly librarian who helps him research wildness skills, or his a friendship with a folk singing also living in with woods. However, most anytime a film shows someone making or learning something, it grabs an audience and is interesting to watch, whether it's Rocky chasing chickens to train for his big fight or Freddy Krueger building his clawed glove to do what he does, this is a filmmaker trick for sucking an audience in that always seems to work. Remember those Mr. Rogers segments where he show how crayons or boxes get made? Those are just inarguably fascinating to watch, but I digress. Overall, "My Side of the Mountain" could easily have been a Disney nature film, though less silly and cutsy than Disney, and if that sounds like a good thing to you, you'd probably enjoy this film.

• Oct 13, 2017

This movie was very disappointing and annoying. I read Jean George's incredible novle My Side Of The Mountain which I loved. The movie had nothing to do with the book besides the fact that Sam ran away. I wish that the kept important parts and characters in the movie because it would make my rating 4 stars instead of 1/2 a star. Overall this was a poorly made and terrible movie.

• Oct 14, 2016

If you must see this - read the trilogy first.

If you must see this - read the trilogy first.

• Jul 16, 2016

I learned about myself. Sam is a child that wants to go into the mountains and study alternative forms of survival on his own. His family asks him to wait till next year, so he runs away from home and lives in the mountains, not far from Quebec Canada, on his own researching wildlife and conducting experiments. He builds his own campground and forms friends in the wild to help him succeed. "The idea of living inside a tree was perfect." James B. Clarke, director of The Little Ark, And Now Miguel, Flipper, Drums of Africa, Misty, The Big Show, One Foot in Hell, The Sad Horse, and A Dog of Flanders, delivers My Side of the Mountain. The storyline for this picture is compelling and amazing. The settings and story are remarkable and I adored the way the characters were delivered. "My training of Frightful began.' I randomly came across this on Netflix and thought it was worthwhile and well done. I was amazed at the resources used by the kid and loved how the humans and animals interacted. I strongly recommend this picture to young adults or even to adults who forget how amazing humans survival tactics can be. "The only way to know nature was to live with it." Grade: A

• Jan 07, 2016

Spoiler alert: sucks shit

Spoiler alert: sucks shit

• Jan 13, 2015

The only reason it receives even this rating is for the sentimental value I have toward this story and the novel. Fast forwarded through most of it. Definitely needs a modern remake to breath life into it again.

• Nov 08, 2014

Heartwarming story for the whole family, it teaches us to enjoy nature and its gifts but also to respect it.

• Jul 02, 2014

I found this tale extremely irresponsible and very farfetched. In reality, this boy would have died and caused his parents untold heartbreak. But the story told had the added danger of making the situation seem very appealing to boys who like the outdoors, without stressing the danger of hypothermia, sickness, accidents or attack by either animals or humans. And what the parents were suffering was never given adequate expression. Not to mention the fact that Theodore Bickel's character should have immediately reported the kid. The only thing I approved of here was the anti-hunting message. Oh, I forgot to mention that this kid could not act his way out of a paper bag.

• Jan 05, 2013

I remember watching this movie when I was younger with my family and falling in love with it. It's a movie that I'll never forget, great for all ages. Based on the age old story of a boy becoming a man but with a new take. Full of adventure that will thrill your young children and amuse yourself and your teens.

• Dec 09, 2012

A cute adaptation of the beloved book. This was fun and of course cute. GRADE:B+