Reviews

• Nov 03, 2021

Needs to go somewhere

Needs to go somewhere

• Nov 03, 2021

This movie was very suspenseful and an emotional rollercoaster. James McAvoy does an amazing job with this one and I definitely recommend this to anyone who may be interested.

• Oct 31, 2021

My Son (2021) is a mystery thriller about a divorced father trying to deal with the situation of his son going missing. I love James McAvoy and Claire Foy, so seeing them starring in a movie together made me curious to check this out, and also apparently the fact that McAvoy wasn't given a script or dialogues and instead improvised throughout the movie. Now, it's not a groundbreaking achievement in filmmaking or anything like that, or at least I didn't feel it. The way the movie is penned and directed, McAvoy's improvisation doesn't really stand out even if the performances from both the main actors were strong, especially McAvoy's but that's hardly a surprise since he's good-great in pretty much everything I've seen him in. It's slowly paced but it's also short so it doesn't get boring and there are sections that are thrilling or tense as you do start to care for the main character but they are too few and far between. Since you're going through the story from the father's POV, when things get interesting, you're strapped up for the ride but the movie hardly touches on the plot points it sets up as the story unfolds and just sorta wraps it up, which leaves you wanting for more. It sure does look pretty, fully utilizing the Scotland Highlands in its cinematography (I hope I can visit it one day). The soundtrack was also pleasing and fitted the mood/tone. Overall, My Son is a small mystery thriller that didn't give me enough for me to say it's particularly good but at the same time, it had enough material in it for it to be a passable watch. Give it a shot if you're curious or are a fan of James McAvoy. And if I were to rate it, I'd give it a 6/10.

• Oct 10, 2021

A good movie for most scenes being improvised but just an okay movie overall. I think this is an amazing showing of these actors abilities and how this type of thing can be done. I would say this was ambitious and well done, a great piece of art, and I'm glad it was created this way, now never do it again. My biggest problem with this movie is that the story feels extremely hollow. The story is just thrown together and leaves a lot unexplained. They have scenes of things that seem like they would be of some significance at all but then never even mention them again. The runtime is 1.5 hours and I feel like a lot of shots were drawn out and a bunch of scenes were thrown in as filler. But I wouldn't be apposed to watching it again and I think that speaks for itself.

• Sep 25, 2021

This was really slow and drawn out. It took 3/4’s of the movie to even start getting anywhere. There wasn’t much put in this film at all. Pretty dull. James McAvoy is an amazing actor no matter what just a bad choice to star in this.

• Sep 23, 2021

I thought it was a really good movie, suspenseful at times but also a bit predictable. The fact of McAvoy not having a script made me more aware of his actions during the movie which I enjoyed. He is a great actor. The setting was amazing as well, just beautiful. There were some questions left unanswered for me and the end was a little disjointed. With that said, I did enjoy it, the mood, the way it was shot, the actors, all really good!

• Sep 23, 2021

I really enjoyed this movie. I felt it was intriguing and dark and had such amazing acting. It's not a perfect movie, but it had me at the edge of my seat a few times.

• Sep 21, 2021

Great cast and scenery, so-so story with lots of red herrings and weird leaps of logic.

• Sep 19, 2021

I wish I would have put subtitles, because I missed a lot of the dialogue due to the heavy accents. That being said, the movie is a simple, character-driven story that left me on the edge of my seat. Nothing was gratuitous in this film, as every line of dialogue and scene moved the story. I don't know if I believe that McAvoy had no script or idea about the unfolding story, but it matters little. The ending was a little off because I did not understand the final conversation taking place in the vehicle, but after looking up a conversation on line about it...it made total sense.

• Sep 19, 2021

I often disagree with movie reviews and that is the case here. I loved this movie!!