My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done Reviews

September 6, 2016
A different take on a hostage situation, with the flashbacks just making Brad (Shannon) look even crazier. No real rhyme or reason to anything in the film, with it seeming to be weird for the sake of Herzog's whims - staring into the camera, frozen, for 30sec at a time, a score that doesn't fit, flamingos and ostriches... Also a waste of Dafoe's talents - felt long @ 87min.
March 13, 2016
The worst of geniouses Lynch and Herzog. Mental illness of boredom.
September 30, 2015
This rough picture flits from mockumentary to weirdness that borders on self-parody. The few glimpses of dark beauty couldn't save a rushed and mediocre thriller.
½ April 11, 2015
It does not really work, but I would take a flawed Herzog film over most good films. Michael Shannon is perfectly cast. I'm not sure if that is a good thing, but it is true.
March 15, 2015
This is the fifteenth movie I've seen by the incomparable Werner Herzog, who, based on his overall body of work, remains one of my top 5 favorite filmmakers. This movie, while embodying a number of typically Herzog elements, is probably the least effective work of his that I've seen. It's still got plenty of insanity going on, and it's more interesting than a lot of movies; but compared to Herzog's other works, it feels jumbled and doesn't have as strong a flow or thematic cohesion as one might hope. I would recommend it, but only to people who have already liked a bunch of Herzog's other films.

The story follows a disturbed man (Michael Shannon, who was excellent in the film Take Shelter and one of the only good things about Man of Steel) who lives with his overbearing mother and, one day, murders her with a sword. Most of the movie plays out as a hostage situation, with him inside his house hiding from the police, as his girlfriend (Chloe Sevigny) and drama teacher (Udo Kier) tell a detective (Willem Dafoe) stories about him, which we see in flashbacks.

Parts of the movie play like a remix of other elements from better Herzog movies. Insane protagonist? Check. Scenes shot in the Amazon jungle? Check. Lingering contemplative shots of animals? Check. There's a lot of Herzog-ian stuff here, but compared to his other films it largely feels tossed-off and/or inelegantly incorporated. The acting is agreeably strange, and there are a few long takes where I felt true brilliance shining through. On the whole, though, it's not one of Herzog's stronger films, and feels like an afterthought relative to, say, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. If you love Herzog already, go ahead; if you've never seen Herzog before, I've got 14 other movies I recommend first.
½ February 5, 2015
An unconventional police drama film by Herzog. Also a film about madness, a situation well performed by Michael Shannon.
August 4, 2014
I have no idea how his boring ass movie got my attention in the first place. Apart from Willem Dafoe, there wasn't much to watch. Even though it's only a 2010 movie, it felt like an 80's movie, a dull atmosphere and depressing acting.
July 29, 2014
Michael Shannon is crazier than usual in this bizarre film. How could Kier and Sevigny fail to report so many clear red flags? Impressive cast, strange script.
½ June 21, 2014
just could not get into this movie.
½ June 8, 2014
absolutely terrible! couldn't get past first 20 minutes.
½ May 31, 2014
Produced by David Lynch, Directed by Werner Herzog and starring Michael Shannon, Chloe Sevigny, Willem Dafoe and Udo Kier... this was going to be the best movie ever made. At least that's what I thought before I actually watched the film.
The end result isn't exactly bizarre. It's not mainstream. It doesn't boast much drama. And it's about as horrific and suspenseful as an episode of Dora the Explorer. Everything this film should have been, it isn't.
Worth checking out for completists but not really the most enjoyable of watches otherwise.
May 21, 2014
Even when it fails to actually come together, Werner Herzog can never be called a boring filmmaker. And, Michael Shannon is a fascinating actor.
½ May 8, 2014
herzog directs a scary michael shannon in this flawed yet effective bizarre character-study.
January 26, 2014
Werner Herzog weirds out to such an extent that not even Michael Shannon can rescue the film. Started to fall asleep. Total nonsense.
January 25, 2014
I liked Michael Shannon and also when everyone just stood still
½ November 29, 2013
Considering the talent involved, I was really looking forward to see this movie. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a total train wreck. The quirky/surreal tone either doesn't match this kind of story, or Werner Herzog didn't know how to pull this off. It essentially plays out as a bizarre comedy, and not a funny one. I doubt it was even intended as a comedy.
October 27, 2013
i have no idea why the reviews are so mixed for this movie. sure, it's very experimental at times, but isn't that usually a good thing? personally, I loved it. I love any movie that takes a risk and breaks the plane, having the actors look at the camera for no particular reason. there was lots of cool cinematography and the plot was interesting. the acting was great - perfect role for chloe sevigny. i don't think i've seen any other herzog movies, and after i watch a few more movies starring michael shannon (see Take Shelter!), i think i'm gonna go on a herzog marathon.
½ October 17, 2013
David Lynch produced this and it shows. It's more of a Lynch style film than a Herzog one. It builds tension well and has a nice balance of surreal humor but it doesn't come close to either Lynch or Herzog's best work. Michael Shannon is great in this though. I'm really starting to like him.
September 4, 2013
This Interesting & Very Well Made Crime Drama Was Inspired By True Events. This Crime Drama With A Difference Has Got A Somewhat Charm To It. The Teaming Up Of Director Werner Herzog & David Lynch Are Excellent. The Film Also Boasts A Great Cast. The Film Looks Great But Like All Others Has It's Flaws. One That's Worth A Viewing, But One That Is Probably Easily Forgotten.
½ July 24, 2013
Fans of "Twin Peaks", "Blue Velvet," or "Mulholland Drive" (basically David Lynch fans) might like this movie, but the average viewer will be bored quickly. Some great scenes though and Michael Shannon and Willem Dafoe are normally good in anything. Definitely weird at times.