My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done Reviews

• Sep 06, 2016

A different take on a hostage situation, with the flashbacks just making Brad (Shannon) look even crazier. No real rhyme or reason to anything in the film, with it seeming to be weird for the sake of Herzog's whims - staring into the camera, frozen, for 30sec at a time, a score that doesn't fit, flamingos and ostriches... Also a waste of Dafoe's talents - felt long @ 87min.

• Mar 13, 2016

The worst of geniouses Lynch and Herzog. Mental illness of boredom.

The worst of geniouses Lynch and Herzog. Mental illness of boredom.

• Sep 30, 2015

This rough picture flits from mockumentary to weirdness that borders on self-parody. The few glimpses of dark beauty couldn't save a rushed and mediocre thriller.

• Apr 11, 2015

It does not really work, but I would take a flawed Herzog film over most good films. Michael Shannon is perfectly cast. I'm not sure if that is a good thing, but it is true.

• Mar 15, 2015

This is the fifteenth movie I've seen by the incomparable Werner Herzog, who, based on his overall body of work, remains one of my top 5 favorite filmmakers. This movie, while embodying a number of typically Herzog elements, is probably the least effective work of his that I've seen. It's still got plenty of insanity going on, and it's more interesting than a lot of movies; but compared to Herzog's other works, it feels jumbled and doesn't have as strong a flow or thematic cohesion as one might hope. I would recommend it, but only to people who have already liked a bunch of Herzog's other films. The story follows a disturbed man (Michael Shannon, who was excellent in the film Take Shelter and one of the only good things about Man of Steel) who lives with his overbearing mother and, one day, murders her with a sword. Most of the movie plays out as a hostage situation, with him inside his house hiding from the police, as his girlfriend (Chloe Sevigny) and drama teacher (Udo Kier) tell a detective (Willem Dafoe) stories about him, which we see in flashbacks. Parts of the movie play like a remix of other elements from better Herzog movies. Insane protagonist? Check. Scenes shot in the Amazon jungle? Check. Lingering contemplative shots of animals? Check. There's a lot of Herzog-ian stuff here, but compared to his other films it largely feels tossed-off and/or inelegantly incorporated. The acting is agreeably strange, and there are a few long takes where I felt true brilliance shining through. On the whole, though, it's not one of Herzog's stronger films, and feels like an afterthought relative to, say, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. If you love Herzog already, go ahead; if you've never seen Herzog before, I've got 14 other movies I recommend first.

• Aug 29, 2014

An unconventional police drama film by Herzog. Also a film about madness, a situation well performed by Michael Shannon.

• Aug 04, 2014

I have no idea how his boring ass movie got my attention in the first place. Apart from Willem Dafoe, there wasn't much to watch. Even though it's only a 2010 movie, it felt like an 80's movie, a dull atmosphere and depressing acting.

• Jul 29, 2014

Michael Shannon is crazier than usual in this bizarre film. How could Kier and Sevigny fail to report so many clear red flags? Impressive cast, strange script.

• Jun 21, 2014

just could not get into this movie.

just could not get into this movie.

• Jun 08, 2014

absolutely terrible! couldn't get past first 20 minutes.

absolutely terrible! couldn't get past first 20 minutes.