My Stepmother Is an Alien Reviews

• Jul 14, 2022

Oh man! Was this always soo corny? Feels like another sitcom reject. I mean, it's got some fun moments for a kids movie, but there is far too much adult humor to make any sense of the balance here...

• Dec 05, 2021

Back when this site was young, I wrote something called "Kim Basinger: Professional idiocy, circa 1987 and 1988" in which I wondered why the very capable Basinger resigned herself to playing morons in movies like Blind Date and this movie. But man — I watched this tonight and maybe I was in the right mood, but when Basinger is giggling and imitating Jimmy Durante? That's some prime romantic comedy material and it made my heart sing. Widowed astronomer Steve Mills (Dan Aykroyd) screws up and causes a gravitational disruption in deep space, sending a race of hyper-advanced alien lifeforms to investigate. That would be Celeste (Basinger), who wins over the scientist in a day. But even though she's been sent to get his research, she falls for him. The film's screenplay was written by Herschel Weingrod, Timothy Harris (Weingrod and Harris wrote Trading Places, Twins, Kindergarten Cop and Space Jam together) and Jonathan Reynolds based on an earlier script by Jerico Stone, who originally pitched the film to Paramount Pictures as a drama called They're Coming that would serve as an allegory about child abuse. But hey, it gets weirder than that. Jerico would tell the Los Angeles Times that as a kid in Brooklyn, he had a friend — that he pretended to be a superhero with and they called each other the Black Jacks — showed up badly beaten. "He said we couldn't do anything to stop his father because he was an alien. And he said he couldn't see me again–and he never did." This would happen to him again years later, when he made friends in Los Angeles with another street kid who had a similar story. Jerico said he followed him to a supermarket parking lot, where the boy hopped into an abandoned car. "It didn't have any wheels and its windows were spray-painted black," Jerico recalled. "I rushed up and started kicking the car when the door opened and it was an alien. It wasn't a man. It wasn't a person. It looked so strange I couldn't even describe it. I just froze. The next thing I knew this huge hand leaped out and dug into my stomach, grabbing a hold of my spine. The pain was so intense I just collapsed to the ground. The alien creature stood over me and said, very gently, "Sorry, Black Jack." Then the car started to shimmer, very brightly, and I blacked out from the pain. When I came to, the car — and any traces of it — was gone." The next paragraph of this story sends me into fits of ecstatic happiness: Not long afterwards, Jerico had a chance meeting with Orson Welles: "I cornered him walking into Ma Maison and he told me, ‘My boy, "The War of the Worlds" was just a dress rehearsal." Stone would also write the movie Matinee. The film debut of Juliette Lewis, as well as the first time Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green would pair up, My Stepmother is an Alien is silly fun that I probably thought too much about the first time I wrote about it. Also, if you're making a Letterboxd list of movies where Aykroyd has supernatural sex and then gets a weird smile on his face, you can add this one.

• Feb 05, 2021

Dumb Story ? Yes. Bad Acting ? Absolutely ! Guilty 80's pleasure ? Hell Yeah !

Dumb Story ? Yes. Bad Acting ? Absolutely ! Guilty 80's pleasure ? Hell Yeah !

• May 11, 2020

As a 80s child and lover of all things 80s, this may not appeal to those born after the millennium. Only the older generation may get the comedy and appreciate a classic such as this.

• Mar 20, 2017

This movie certainly isn't gonna go down as one of the greats. It is cheesy and kind of dumb. That being said, it made me laugh often anyway. I can't recommend this movie, but I think those who can appreciate cheesy movies for what they are might be able to have some fun with it. This is a guilty pleasure, but certainly not quality cinema.

• Jan 09, 2017

see kids, back in the olden days we didn't have internet. if you wanted to get your rocks off, you had to either do the walk of shame and buy one of those dirty magazines, while the store clerk judges you. but if you were rich and lived/worked in hollywood, you wrote a comedy script and hired a sexy lady.. I think Dan Aykroyd just really wanted to see Kim Basinger's boobs. that's basically it. there's some subplot about an alien trying to figure out if a scientist tried to kill their planet, but that's only 10 minutes of the movie. you can laugh at the absurdity and how "innocently" sexist it is, but that doesn't make it not sexst. or filthy. and don't get me started on Ayson Hannigan having a giggle, because her dad has orgasms...

• Jan 02, 2017

Interesting as Kim Basinger has to attempt comedy acting but there's not much else going for it.

• Aug 08, 2015

My Stepmother is an Alien n'est pas forcément un film détestable. C'est juste une comédie 80's tout ce qu'il y a de plus pathétique, répétitif et abruti. En effet, en faisant jouer la comédie à Kim Basinger et le straight man à Dan Ackroyd, Richard Benjamin aurait dû vite comprendre qu'il partait à l'encontre d'une belle déconvenue. Malheureusement, c'est ce dont on doit se contenter ici, avec des scènes qui tombent comme un cheveu sur la soupe et Jon Lovitz qui est aussi agaçant que d'habitude. Le score est plutôt réussi.

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Jun 26, 2014

A comedy that's out of this world, My Stepmother Is an Alien is an '80s cult classic. The story follows a scientist named Steven Mills who falls for an eccentric woman who's fascinated by his work at an astrological research center, but his daughter suspects that there's something not quite right about her. Starring Dan Aykroyd, Kim Basinger, Jon Lovitz, and Alyson Hannigan, the cast is quite impressive and does a good job at delivering the comedy; which is mostly a bunch of slapstick routines and fish-out-of-water jokes. And although the comedy may seem a bit rote, there's a certain sort of charm to it. My Stepmother Is an Alien is a little silly and formulaic, but it's also kind of fun.

• Dec 28, 2013

One of his worst. I didn't enjoy this one.

One of his worst. I didn't enjoy this one.