My Summer of Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Summer of Love Reviews

October 16, 2016
Realism, acting drive this movie. Style and music not necessarily hurting the movie but don't seem to fit.
½ February 22, 2016
english accent movies.....ewwwww.
July 18, 2015
I started off absolutely hating this movie but, after 30 minutes in I paused it and read some reviews and went back realizing that this is no romance movie but an art house film and one of the vest I've ever seen.
Emily Blunt is amazing in this.
April 24, 2015
What a complete waste of time. A rich troublemaker and an orphan discover some romance while wreaking a bit of havoc on each other and those around them for a few weeks. That's all you need to know. I had high hopes for this movie based on critics' reviews but it was actually the worst film I had seen in a long time.
April 6, 2015
A mesmerizing film about the summertime friendship between two teenagers, one dealing with the sudden religious conversion of her ex-convict brother, the other living in a gilded cage with wealthy though absent parents. They seem so lucky to have found one another and begin to depend on each other for the support they get nowhere else in their lives, as Tamsin, the wealthy one, teaches Mona about Nietzsche and Freud while Mona brings her spontaneous instinctual values to Tamsin's attention. The acting here from a young Emily Blunt and Natalie Press is very impressive as the pair bring to life the relationship which grows and develops amid the simple diversions of rural English life in the early twenty first century.
½ February 11, 2015
so so teeny bopper pic
December 23, 2014
Two girls in a summer unforgettable story.
December 20, 2014
The British movie draws affairs of two immature and unstable teen-aged girls in a summer in Yorkshire. It leaves a little pain probably associated with growth in one's life. Emily performed as a beautiful and haughty girl and won a good reputation to extend her career as an actress. Natalie's performance as a troubled but honest country girl also is also amazing. Beautiful sceneries in Yorkshire and their performances make the movie very attractive and entertaining.
December 17, 2014
Liked the soundtrack a LOT
September 20, 2014
Filme muito gostoso de se assistir, com uma ótima atuação da Emily
September 18, 2014
I think the character contrast was almost too strong. We expected violence somewhere sometime. How was the first hour believable? The characters stayed true to form? But I was pleasantly surprised by the last two turns. Lots of good moments from both leads.

Definitely made me want to start on a honest script about religious people. This was too caricature
½ September 4, 2014
What a little gem. Great characters that reveal themselves to you at the right pace. Nice performances too. A few predictabilities. That's ok though, they're not obtuse. I was thrown on the age level of the two leads because of the casual boozing. I'll chalk that up to my lack of European-ness.
September 3, 2014
Emily Blunt stars in the British coming-of-age drama My Summer of Love. Loosely inspired by the novel of the same name, a working class girl named Mona, who feels alienated by her brother's recent conversion to religion, befriends a rich girl named Tamsin who opens her up to art and culture. Blunt gives a strong performance, but her co-stars don't bring much to the table. Also, the script is rather unfocused, and doesn't seem to know where its going half the time (especially given the final twist). My Summer of Love is a rather typical rich/poor relationship film, except that it lacks a point.
August 31, 2014
My Summer of Love is a great romance film. The chemistry between Emily Blunt and Natalie Press are really good. I really like how unpredictable the ending is. When I thought it was going to go through the route it's taking which I wouldn't like, it doesn't and it takes a different route which I really like. The drama is really touching too and I felt sorry for them. The only thing I didn't like, is how Mona made fun of his brother's Christianity. I'm not saying that she can't make fun of Christians at all, she can do that, I get a laugh now and then from her making fun of it. But she took some extreme ways to just get a laugh out of it, it wasn't funny, but very mean-spirited that for a second I was glad something bad happen for her as she deserve it. It just made me feel bad for her brother. The acting is good, and when they made fun of them, you can see that he is really hurt from it. I always like Emily Blunt, and she's great in this. I think with a bit faster pace and less extreme ways of making fun of them, it could've been a masterpiece of a romance film. But consider that it took some of it away, its just a great movie.
August 1, 2014
the story gets better and better as it goes on and the cast gives amazing performances.
July 22, 2014
Different but not so bad I loved the actress!!
July 4, 2014
A bittersweet piece of queer cinema about two unlikely lovers, that is modest yet thematically rich, dark yet joyful, and uneventful yet stirring.
June 6, 2014
Almost every movie ever made about first love and the heartbreak that ultimately comes along with it have been lightweight pieces of fluff that depend primarily on the chemistry between the two stars for their success. Even though the lovers in "My Summer of Love" are both females, that is nevertheless the case here as well.

There's no point to it that I could discern, but the two leads are effective and the beautiful photography and languid pacing make up for the film's other shortcomings. Natalie Press and Emily Blunt are both brave and sincere in the lead roles. Their friendship is formed chiefly out of convenience and boredom, in equal doses, but their love affair is a little more complicated than that. Their bond becomes sexual rather swiftly, and it doesn't always feel authentic especially when you discover the tragedy that is initially responsible for bringing them together is a lie.

The screenplay seems to shortchange Blunt's character, as you never really understand why she does some of the things she does, like perpetuate that lie and attempt to seduce Press' religious brother. That character is much better realized and becomes the one you sympathize with throughout the picture. It continually reminded me of Peter Jackson's superb "Heavenly Creatures" but without the sophistication.

Despite some deep reservations, I enjoyed "My Summer of Love" because of the performances. The leads have some tender moments together, but the filmmakers could have dropped the Harlequin romance title and fleshed out the characters more. This is pretty basic.
December 16, 2013
Everything is OK. Everything goes along with my interests... But wait.. that's what I call the Sh*tty ending!

What makes the two teenagers (Mona and Tamsin) so close to each other is the disaffected way of dealing with things (even with God), we easily notice that Tamsin is not that clear with Mona as we don't see her family really, While Mona at the contrary, we can see how much she suffers the way of life her brother want to lead as he want to restitute his "sins". The dreamy summer which become a nice lesbian love story looks awesome and brat, with a charming chemistry between the two girls (Natalie Press & Emily Blunt). As love is foolish (I hadn't read the novel) I predict that end but I wish she killed her! Because emotions is not a game, and what she were attracted to is something missed in her life (The real brotherhood and motherhood). The other thing in the script which need more work is the exploration of the nature of faith, I don't get the point here, I feel there is something incomplete or random.

Locations are great, nice cinematography, lovely performances, something unusual.. yeah, it's nice, but really I can't say I love it!
December 6, 2013
The premise sounds a bit silly, but this is a surprisingly enjoyable movie about friendship between two teenage girls bored to death with their lives in British countryside. Superb acting, beautiful cinematography, and clever plot make it a captivating watch.