My Voyage to Italy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Voyage to Italy Reviews

January 6, 2016
random choice of the day, Marty's distcinive voice and its signature passion guides us thru his love of Italian cinema...a must see for fans of Scorsese and film in general
November 12, 2014
Review:
Man, this 4 hour documentary really seemed to go on forever. It's full of footage from the early years in Italian cinema, but I don't think that I have ever watched an Italian movie. At first, I did find it quite interesting because it was good to see how far the world of cinema has progressed, but I lost interest after a while. I liked when Scorsese was talking about his family and how it was to grow up in America back in the early years, but once he starts to get into the various directors and actors that influenced him to make movies, I did drift off a couple of times. My main problem with the documentary was that I hadn't seen or heard of any of the movies that Scorsese was talking about, so I didn't have a clue why the movies were so important back in a day and age when I wasn't born yet. I can understand how the movies had changed his life, but it's a world that I really can't relate to. In all, it's a well put together documentary which gives a deep insight into a Italian cinema, but you have to have an interest in this genre to be able to find the whole 4 hour experience interesting. Average!

Round-Up:
Scorsese really hasn't lost his touch nowadays, and he is still pulling in huge audiences at the box office. This documentary really does show that he was a lover of movies at a really early age and it gives a complete different point of view about the world of cinema. With movies like the Taxi Driver "You Talking To Me", to films like Goodfellas and Casino, I doubt that were ever going to get a director that can mix deep drama with heavy violence so well. After watching were he got his influences from, it really doesn't seem like he would ever make movies the way that he does. Maybe thats because of his unique vision which your everyday person well never be able to create, write or direct, because he is coming from such a different angle which is deeply rooted inside him. As I director, I rate him highly, but as a documentary, it's just way too long.

Budget: N/A
Domestic Gross: $11,600

I recommend this movie to people who are into there documentaries which show the many movies and actors which have influenced Martin Scorsese to make movies. 4/10
July 2, 2014
Being a huge fan of Italian cinema and Scorsese this was a film that I really needed to see. It's pretty essential stuff for the movie buff.
½ February 23, 2014
Partially directed and hosted by Martin Scorsese, this 4 hour long documentary is Martin Scorsese taking you through several films that have influenced him over the years, that inspired him and made him the great filmmaker he became. Scorsese has a passion for film and cinema more than probably any of his contemporaries. Tarantino's passion is the only filmmaker of the more modern era who seems to rival him now for passion. This is an interesting look at American filmmaking, with one of the great auteurs (who has a passion that makes the subject come alive) taking you through it all.
February 2, 2014
The film is a voyage through Italian cinema history, marking influential films for Scorsese and particularly covering the Italian neorealism period.
March 7, 2013
Simplemente Scorsese sabe como dirigir un documental, aun mas si es de cine!
January 10, 2013
This might become my favourite documentary of all time. I can watch Scorsese talk about his favourite films ALL DAY.
November 14, 2012
Seriously one of the best things Scorsese's ever done. It just doesn't get any credit because it's a documentary about other movies. OH WELL.
½ September 21, 2012
Have your pen and paper ready, or your computer or whatever, because you're going to want to end up seeing a lot of the movies Scorsese presents here.
September 2, 2012
Una leccion de cine impresionante, 4 horas que se sienten como 40 minutos donde Martin Scorsese te lleva en un viaje intimo e interesante atraves de el cine que lo marca como persona y cineasta. Sin duda una JOYA para todos aquellos que gustamos del cine y en especial si te gusta la grandiosa obra de el mejor de todos Martin Scorsese.
½ August 9, 2012
I don't think I'd call it a good documentary, but it's like a Reader's Digest of Italian classics I haven't seen, and given my recent attention span, that's a close second to the "Microserfs" strategy of only watching subtitled movies so you can watch them at 2x or 3x speed [this actually worked for us for one remarkably slow Japanese film a while ago, making the dance sequences among the best I've ever enjoyed]. Only after about 2 hours did it occur to us to find out that it will be 4 hours long, so we're saving installment 2 until one day when we're awake again.
½ April 13, 2012
A Journey of Cinema, Not Flesh

As I've said before, I don't always know what movies are about before I bring them home from the library. Sometimes, it's because they are movies I've heard of long since but never actually knew the plot. Sometimes, as in this case, it's because I looked at the title and was intrigued, sometimes but not always in combination with a name attached to it. I had assumed, not unreasonably, that this would be the story of Martin Scorsese visiting his ancestral home in Sicily, walking the roads his ancestors walked and so forth. And that would have been an extremely interesting story. This, however, is also an interesting story, and it's one not everyone would think to tell. It is a curious fact that, while I don't generally care for Scorsese films, I am still interested in the story of what made him make the kinds of films he makes. The more so because it is a genuine love of quality film, a thing I admire even in directors I don't.

In short, Martin Scorsese is giving us an overview on the history of Italian cinema as it influenced his own filmmaking. It seems that the Scorsese family owned a TV earlier than a lot of other people, and a local New York channel played subtitled Italian movies on Friday nights. Young Marty watched them with his family, and he soaked in their style. This is not, therefore, intended to be any kind of comprehensive overview of the entire history of Italian film. With few exceptions, he is discussing post-war Italian film, Italian Neorealism, essentially ending with Fellini's [i]8 1/2[/i], which came out just about the time young Marty Scorsese was attending film school. But this, too, was a kind of film school for him, not to mention a way of absorbing the culture of his family's homeland. Some of the films are better known than others, but all helped to define the films of Martin Scorsese, and by extension every filmmaker who came after him.

With few exceptions, I can agree with much of what Scorsese has to say about the various films. I respect and admire the quality of his own body of work, even when I don't necessarily like the movies much themselves. I feel much the same about many of the movies he discusses here, though I do quite like a few of them. And certainly, now he comes to mention some of them, I can see their influence on his own film. I approve of film school training, but I think it works best to polish and refine a love and a talent which already exists. The defining characteristic of Martin Scorsese that matters relevant to today's film is that Martin Scorsese has loved film all his life. Yes, he mentions briefly the movies he saw in the theatres at the same time, but Italian cinema combines with Scorsese's connections to family and religion in a way the Hollywood product of his childhood cannot. Italian cinema helped him learn that he could do that, and film school taught him how.

Of course, you have to really care about Scorsese, Italian cinema, or for preference both to get into this movie. It is, after all, just over four hours long. It includes extremely detailed discussions of some of the films--a little too detailed in places; either I'd seen them and gotten bored or else I hadn't seen them and he gave away too much plot. However, every film considered to be an Italian classic of the era gets at least a mention. Scorsese even fills us in on the shocking-for-the-time relationship between Roberto Rossellini and Ingrid Bergman and how it relates to the changes in Rossellini's films. (Bergman, being Swedish, is a bit outside the scope of the documentary.) There is a bit of conversation about how Bergman caused Rossellini to "sell out" in the eyes of other filmmakers and why Scorsese doesn't agree with that assessment. And he dabbles a little in discussion of censorship, both in Italy and in the United States. It's a subject with which Scorsese has at least passing familiarity, after all.

The main place where I disagree with Scorsese is about Fellini. I have decided that, when I get to [i]Nights of Cabiria[/i], I will watch the whole thing and review it so I can get my rant about Fellini out of the way. (I have a lot to say about Fellini.) Therefore, I will not do it here. But I will say that I could write a pretty interesting paper about the evolution of the Guy Movie including some obvious parallels between Scorsese and Fellini. In their treatment of religion and family, yes. In their analysis of authority figures, yes. But particularly in their treatment of women. Oh, Scorsese is better than Fellini by a long shot. But I can't help wondering what it says about everyone concerned that not one of these movies is directed by a woman, that I noticed it, and that Martin Scorsese either did not or did not feel it worth mentioning. True, there are three or four guys who directed most of these movies, three or four leading lights of the Italian Neorealism movement. But these movements are almost all pretty much boys' clubs, and if you notice that, you get accused of being shrill.
½ December 8, 2011
reat look at itaian cinema
November 13, 2011
An absolutely MUST for any cinema lover. Marty goes over some of the All-time greatest films that came out of Italy and had a profound influence on him and his career. The documentary is filled with extensive clips and an enlightening commentary from Marty as to the deeper meanings of the films and also how they influenced him. A real treasure!
September 14, 2011
Scorsesse hace un recorrido por las pelculas que ms le impactaron de nio, est bien para conocer un poco de cine italiano pero llega un momento que acabas hasta las pelotas de tanta imagen en blanco y negro y comentarios sobrevalorando una simple escena o secuencia.
July 24, 2011
Classic Italian film primer with Martin Scorsese.
June 10, 2011
Italian cinema 101 with Professor Scorsese. I just wish he would have talked about specific parallels between these movies and his own.
January 23, 2011
Martin Scorsese's very personal views on classic Italian cinema. Not only does it provide very informative insight on the differences between classic Hollywood and Italian films, it also serves as a great documentary to motivate me to watch more European films. I've watched some of the films he introduced here, but I never noticed the depth or details in some of them. Having watched this makes me want to rewatch all the Italian movies I've previously watched.
October 3, 2010
½ September 14, 2010
[review of part 1 only] Alternate Title: "Martin Scorsese Ruins the Climax of Some of the Greatest Films of All Time". The information he divulges on these films is interesting, if basic and oft-repeated, and it's wonderful that he's using his popularity in an attempt to open the world up to these classics; however, by resorting to their climaxes in order to interest audiences, he kind of insults their very, story-deemphasizing form.