My Wife Is an Actress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Wife Is an Actress Reviews

½ April 5, 2013
hillarious! actress charlotte gainsbourg was really at the top of her game!!
½ August 31, 2011
It's a French romantic comedy. Pre-marital and extra-marital relationships are serious subjects of French Cinema. Then what could be the subject of a romantic French Comedy? ...yes it's about a 'marital affair' between a sports journalist and his wife, starred by a real life couple. Acts out of obsession, jealousy and doubt are the materials of comedy. The subject is old fashioned but popular indeed. However, don't miss the 'birth of a flower scene'.
½ June 4, 2011
c'est dr├┤le parce que c'est vrai?... "Yvon" Attal es muy gracioso y Charlotte es Charlotte (un aburrido review de mi parte como siempre, yay), a lo mejor le falta un Guy/Alain Chabat, a veces, fin.
April 11, 2011
A bit slow at times, but overall a very interesting character piece that works well on almost every level. This one may not be for everyone, but for the film lovers out there, it should be something that is enjoyed for what it is.
hunterjt13
March 18, 2011
The marriage between a successful actress and a sportswriter suffers as a result of jealousy, distance, and the nature of her profession.
After watching this film, you shouldn't wonder why relationships in Hollywood last as long as milk on a hot day. Yvan Attal's deft, comic story-telling renders all the awkwardness a man might feel while watching his wife naked on screen. And the scene in which he surprises her on set only to find the entire cast and crew naked is truly hilarious. I'm glad that the film stopped at sexual jealousy and didn't suggest that Yvan was emasculated because his wife's success eclipsed his own. Such a plot would have been cliche and reduced Yvan's character to nothing more than a typically insecure male.
Terence Stamp is perfectly cast as the cad co-star who crosses the line between creating "on-screen chemistry" and seducing another man's wife. His lecherous looks make him dangerously charming, and there is the right amount of self-aggrandizing to make his character worthy of comic ridicule.
I was fully prepared to go as high as four stars until the end. I don't know what Attal was thinking, but the story never resolved. We never know what motivates this couple's decision, and as a result, it's difficult to determine what exactly Attal is saying about these characters or the business of filmmaking.
Overall, though, My Wife Is an Actress provides some brilliant moments and is filled with charming performances.
February 17, 2011
Real life husband and wife star as husband and wife AND use their real first names? That's a bit much...but I still enjoyed it.
½ November 28, 2010
I could never forget the expression of Yvan while he suddenly reached at her wife's shooting spot and saw every body naked, what a face !!( I m still laughing!), really a scene to remember.! ........nice and cute little romantic french comedy.!
½ October 29, 2010
very nicely-paced, dual-accented, effectively bilingual romcom about the "difficulties" of marrying an actress (or marrying a non-actor, depending on which way you look at it), and ultimately, love prevailing amid the mess. the plot is somewhat simple, but it's the hilarious script and brilliant acting that carries this movie through.
October 27, 2010
very entertaining & Attal was very convincing as a jealous husband. the part when he was "traumatized" by a filming set in the nude was quite funny :D
½ August 6, 2010
As Far as the comedy scenes yes; it had some funny moments, and serious drama scenes; yes some of the scenes had some feeling behind it. But honest it doesn't have enough of those elements to really make it seem like anything from american types or Romantic comedy. Unfunny, Unmoving but it had some soul. Just not enough of it.
½ April 22, 2010
sonuna kadar izledigim en kotu fransiz filmi.
March 28, 2010
This movie is absolutely charming. Yvan Attal has many subtle, hilarious jokes and original surprising moments. I like how they are talking about how Yvan doesn't want Charlotte to keep kissing and doing sex scenes with other actors, then turns around and has sex with her and us, as the audience, sees the nudity and movements. Throughout this film he does this, makes comments then does it in the movie itself. I loved that aspect. It goes through all the movements of a romantic comedy, but it's still surprisingly refreshing. However, I do feel like it tries to be overly serious in moments, and some scenes I couldn't tell whether they were joke fighting or if I should be nervous for their marriage. I never really felt too worried about them falling apart until the last 10 minutes. I loved the sister and brother-in-law side story. Plus the very last scene was hilarious for Charlotte. I wonder if any of this ever happened between Charlotte and Yvan in real life?
½ March 9, 2010
The two main characters, particularly Yvan, were just plain annoying. But a little Terrence Stamp is never enough.
September 6, 2009
adorable and sweet, but the ending seemed to leave something...unfinished. parts were very funny, but there's also a sort of...depressing...fog that's cast over the entire thing that doesn't feel lifted by the end.
½ July 20, 2009
There's not a whole lot to say about My Wife is an Actress. Like Happily Ever After, it's Yvan Attal and wife Charlotte Gainsbourg reminding the world how wonderful they are on screen together as they (probably) work out some of their own relationship issues through their art.

Like Happily Ever After, it's light and fun, but not TOO lightweight, and the story's compelling enough and the characters likable enough to keep you watching. The humor's fine-tuned, and with Gainsbourg, Attal, Stamp, and Sagnier on-screen as the film's core, you've got enjoyable performances across the board.

Strong cinematography and numerous well framed shots again remind of Attal's talent as a director (And that he's been working with a damn good cineatographer), and the film's soundtrack stands out as another reason to say he's got good taste in music.

All in all, My Wife is an Actress is predictable and doesn't really take any risks, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable for what it is. See it, laugh, and bask in the warmth of the storytelling and characters. It won't change your world or life, but you'll enjoy yourself.
½ July 11, 2009
A modern take on antiquated misogyny itself almost becomes antiquated and misogynist in turn. A few too many short cuts to a happy ending.
½ May 15, 2009
i liked this attal/gainsbourg combo much more than happily ever after. this one was far less po-faced and had some moments of genuine hilarity. terence stamp really creeped me out though.
½ April 21, 2009
A terrifically charming and deft film about the thick line that separates film glamour from the real world, and the thin line between common sense and paranoia. It's a pleasure to watch the two leads - Yvan Attal and the fabulous Charlotte Gainsbourg - act out their psychodrama - be it 'faux' or genuine - for the big screen, and though it's not much more substantial than Woody Allen's similar Hollywood Ending, Attal's briskly paced film has a lot more energy. Not too fancy, not too filling, not too fluffy, but definitely tasty and sweet.
April 3, 2009
fun, light-hearted movie.
March 16, 2009
This film has everything going for it...great acting, great cinematography, directing by Attal...problem is, I really don't care about the metafiction -- I don't care about the 'poor, difficult' lives of film actresses, nor actors, nor directors, et al. (unless it's in the context of censorship, or some such). A movie is in trouble when I care more about the subplot and its resolution than the main storyline.