The Mysteries of Pittsburgh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh Reviews

½ February 5, 2015
Nothing you haven't seen before and, in fact, poorly told.
January 26, 2015
A lifeless and poorly executed comedy-drama.
September 28, 2013
I allowed this movie to pull me in and was so confused and shocked by the ending that I stared at the credits for 10 minutes before turning off the TV. I at first found myself liking this movie very much but soon found myself looking at a confusing and depressing cinematic mess. The plot was flawed and did not do any justice to the book. The show had an interesting and likeable cast, but the performance was unimpressive. I regret that this movie was portrayed in the way that it was and think the filmmakers could have done a better job.
August 24, 2013
It really stirred so many forgotten thoughts, feelings, and emotions I myself let time bury.
September 21, 2012
all flash and no substance.
½ September 16, 2012
Dunyanin en kotu filmiymis. Inanilmaz sahte klise karakterler Aptal bir senaryo ve ne diyim peter saarsgard naptin sen ya.
½ September 9, 2012
not interesting at all
½ August 2, 2012
a mobster's son decides to have a meaningless summer as a means of escaping his directed fate, and learns things could get a lot worse.
July 20, 2012
I really dig this movie. Peter Sarsgaard and Nick Nolte steal the show and this is really touching :)
June 21, 2012
This could have been a lot better.
½ June 12, 2012
Compare this to ADVENTURELAND and weep. Or feel angry, whichever. Me, I want to kick this fucking movie in the fucking teeth. I hate its bullshit indie movie fucking pretensions, I hate its goddamn use of period inappropriate musical cues just because they're hipster-fabulous (nice fucking Iron & Wine in 1983, jackasses), I hate Sienna Miller's manic pixie dream girl and Peter Sarsgaard's manic pixie dream bisexual and Jon Foster's -- who was already way in trouble with me for being in THE INFORMERS -- blank fucking slate of a sleepwalking goddamn main character. This movie fucking sucks. Sorry I cursed so much.
March 29, 2012
Bechstein(Jon Foster) is a young man with many problems...His dad is a Gangster under investigation from the FBI..he's taken a crappy summer Job at a book store where he is also happens to be banging his boss(Mena Suvari)on a regular basis..and he's studying to be an accountant a job he really has no desire for...Until he meets Jane & Cleveland thats when things get exciting and complicated..I really like this movie..I thought it was one of the better coming of age stories to come out.
March 21, 2012
I like Michael Chabon's work, and this is certainly an interesting adaptation, if a little by-the-book. Peter Sarsgaard gives the best performance of the bunch.
½ January 20, 2012
The cast was brilliant in this. There may not have been much real life application to the plot, but it was a solid idea with a realistic ending.
December 11, 2011
Way to ruin the book. Cut out the main theme and plot of the book and turned it into a bore. A huge disappointment.
August 6, 2011
this film was a waste of time. It gave no sense or perspective of the time or place, it might as well have been in any average city in America circa 2010 and you would havase not noticed any diffference. I suspect as this was based on a first novel, the storyline was auto biographical for the boring parts with some drama thrown in. Same bullshit as 100 other coming of age stories. Get the hell out of wherever you are.
July 11, 2011
Based very loosely on the book by Michael Chabon (also wrote Wonder Boys) the screenplay holds the essence of the book but over-all is still lacking here. What is good is the chemistry between Jon Foster as ivy league college student with a high profile criminal of a father (Nick Nolte) and his two "friends" in the movie played very well by Peter Sarsgaard and Sienna Miller. Mena Suvari as his hottie boss/girlfriend lightens the story line, but despite the good performances over-all this felt half baked and deserved more from pen to paper.
April 10, 2011
Can be a little entertaining. It was a little funny, but it moved very slow.
½ April 7, 2011
A movie that you never need to see....