Mysterious Skin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mysterious Skin Reviews

½ December 29, 2014
Araki make a consistent movie from beginning to end, everything helps you to understand the plot and the ambience, the mood of Neil and his perception of life. The soundtrack, with a Sigur Ros' theme at the end, is just great.
½ November 22, 2014
Somebody told that this is a difficult film to watch, for the first part of the film, that's a bit of an understatement. I can't help but feel that kids of that age should not be asked to act in scenes like this, I hope that they were doing so unknowlingly. In general the story is not too bad, pretty harrowing but interesting. I'm all for people making challenging films, I don't think that taboo topics like those in this film should be brushed under the carpet, but I think that to portray them in the way it was done in this film is a bit weird. It's almost like the filmmaker was saying "these sort of things happen so let's just accept that, while it's an ordeal for some, for others it's not that bad, so let's build a story around it".
SPOILER ALERT - I'd feel a bit better about it if the ending, which seemed to show a moment of clarigy had involved some sort of justice being done against the coach.
November 20, 2014
a really beautiful flick. i'm not sure that i had any complaints about it whatsoever. great soundtrack, great acting, great story. poignant as all hell. quirky, touching, disgusting, shocking, intense, raw/whatever.
October 7, 2014
extremely powerful depiction of the effects of childhood abuse on different children with separate memories and views on it.
September 23, 2014
Great acting, powerful plot, not a dull moment, cannot fault it.
September 16, 2014
Requiem for a Dream: Drugs as Mysterious Skin: Pedophilia
½ September 16, 2014
This is the worst movie I have ever seen. Yes it deals with child abuse; this should be noted on the cover.
September 15, 2014
I don't know why, but what stood up most to me in this movie is friendship -- newfound and old -- that held the characters together along the thorny path of understanding the harrowing experience of child abuse and its consequences. The soft lights and even softer music make a startling contrast to the subject matter, while no one could have done a better job than JGL for the main role. This is the second time I watched it, and I'll watch it again.
½ September 13, 2014
A very touching eloquent film that is ultimately heart wrenching. The two protagonists give a superb performance that makes this film very emotive and powerful. Joseph gordon-levitt gives an outstanding performance that carries this film through its entirety. His performance is the shining star in this ultimately troubling film and sustains the viewer throughout. He pours his heart and soul into the role and his immense acting talent is made very obvious.
September 12, 2014
Meh. Gordon-Levitt is subpar, as usual. The story is pretty bland and dry until the end. It has a nice ending, but it's too little too late.
½ September 2, 2014
If you are loving JGL now, go back and watch his early stuff. This one is a beauty.
August 29, 2014
High on emotion and featuring some subtle work from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, 'Mysterious Skin' is uneasy viewing but given the subject its done with a nuance and eye for detail. The story has a detectable trajectory and it's certainly a drawback and given the clear message, some of the secondary story lines could have used more work. The direction is clear and uses some interesting techniques in the more emotionally delicate scenes. Despite being a tough watch, and some length and pacing issues, this is an interesting film worth your time.
July 29, 2014
Such a sad story. So messed up. So disturbing. Great performances by the entire cast. Shocking scenes.
½ July 28, 2014
Tragic, disturbing, stunning lead performance.
July 18, 2014
It will stay with you forever- powerful, disturbing, and brilliant
July 2, 2014
Must see movie. thoroughly thought provoking
½ June 30, 2014
Mostly poorly acted, had a hell of a lot of potential but was just badly done. The best word to describe this is probably just 'brave'.
June 17, 2014
Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives an unforgettable performance in this unnerving tale of self-acceptance and self-destruction.
June 13, 2014
aside from a jolting pace, flawless
May 25, 2014
A brave film and director! Outstanding performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt!