Mystery Date - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mystery Date Reviews

July 11, 2016
With an even balance of thrills, comedy and romance, Mystery Date benefits with an entertaining narrative that anchors a solid and talented cast that includes Ethan Hawke, Teri Polo and Brian McNamara.
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ February 15, 2014
From the director of the excellent "Pow Wow Highway" and the producer of the cult classic "Repo Man" comes a bland teen comedy. I suppose it doesn't help that the script is written by the team who brought us the "Super Mario Bros." movie and "Sweet Valley High." The story involves Ethan Hawke getting advice (and a suit and car) from his snaky brother before a big date with Teri Polo, but when he's mistaken for his brother by Chinese mobsters, the film tries really hard at becoming a quirky, screwball comedy. I think I was most entertained by the early 90s period details, like UB40 posters, Jane's Addiction t-shirts, giant cell phones and the pre-grunge 90s fashions. You also have some regular 80s character actors here, including Fisher Stevens, BD Wong, James Hong and Victor Wong, but those elements of nostalgia can only carry a dull film so far.
½ September 12, 2011
Knew nothing about this film, so at first thought it was going to be some god-awful rom com. And then all hell broke loose. Great concept.
August 27, 2011
That's two hours I'll never get back.
½ April 20, 2011
"Mystery date" is an unbelievable comedy with very few funny moments and a screenplay that reminds an average sitcom episode. Teri Polo is OK as the pretty girl, but Ethan Hawke doesn't have the charm and charisma to carry a movie like that. The lack of a more inspired supporting cast hurts too.
March 19, 2011
The abstract said a boy takes his new dream girl on a date with a dead body in the trunk of the car. OK, not your typical date movie. The boy takes the identity of his older brother--thats where the trouble started. The brother seems to be wanted by everyone from gangs to the police to the FBI. This fun movie had twist after twist. A very good movie. Fun to watch and only needs a bag of popcorn to complete.
January 23, 2011
Don't worry, there's more to this chick flick than it seems. Mistaken identity, plot twists and murder shape this dark comedy.
December 22, 2010
"Never let the law stand in the way of a good time."-Craig McHugh (Brian McNamara)

82% A date flick where the shit keeps piling up. Uneven with its comedy to violence (just how I love it, keeps it fresh) just like the movie SOMETHING WILD. GWAR makes an apearance, I cried when thrash metal died.
½ October 20, 2010
STEPHEN CHANG - As the BOSS in this movie - captured lead actress and fought ETHAN KAWKE in a kung fu gym....Click my photo to see more.
August 16, 2010
Definitely a guilty pleasure for me. Earns an extra star for the nostalgia factor.
August 15, 2010
Big rip off of license to drive with Corey Haim. Plus Teri Polo looks alot like Heather Graham from license to drive also.
January 16, 2010
Highly underrated work of art. Do not miss this one. It's really good.
November 16, 2009
It was dull and kind of predictable film. I did not find the supposed funny bits, funny as got hooked to this movie why a number of cops, crims chased him and his date. Ended a little bad.
½ June 17, 2009
Much better than I thought it would be. Interesting movie and pretty funny too!
March 21, 2009
Pretty stupid 80's love story but it works for me and it provides some laughs.
½ July 22, 2008
Teen flick from 1991, is looking a little dated, but still has punch and remains quite watchable, surprisingly dark and offbeat with a sense of humor to match, ridiculous to be sure, but entertaining.
½ April 22, 2008
I haven't seen all of it. But it was on tv, and I had to see it until it finished. There was this one part and it cracked me up so bad!!
March 11, 2008
I didn't know what to expect, but I ran across this randomly on T.V. one afternoon, and couldn't stop watching it. It's funny, bizarre, entertaining... the only downfall is the appearance by the worst band in the world: GWAR.
February 14, 2008
Okay, this movie is waaaayy out there and crazy. If you like the unexpected, you'll like this movie.