Mystery Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mystery Men Reviews

December 19, 2015
Saw this when it first came out, and sorta liked it. I felt the same watching it again, they have a lot of great actors, but it feels lacking. I had higher hope considering the cast including Stiller, Macy, Azaria, Rush, Kinnear, Studi, etc. Worth a watch, but not great.
December 11, 2015
I rented this with a group of friends back in high school. During the movie, I kept reminding my friends periodically that we wasted $3 on renting this film. Those times were pretty much the only times we laughed. Needless to say, I didn't like it back in 2000.

Fast forward to 2015. I was looking through the movie channels during a free preview weekend and saw this was going to be on. I became curious as to whether my teenage self was right or if I was too immature to get the humor. So I set my DVR to record it and give it a second chance. I'm sure you already guessed by my rating that I still didn't like it.

It's amazing how so many funny people could come together to make such an unfunny film. It was just plain dumb. The only thing I found remotely funny was when Ben Stiller's character would get furious and then goof up instead of kicking ass. Even that wasn't exactly laugh out loud funny.

I don't get why this film has as much praise as it does. Seems like it should be universally panned. Judging by the fact that this is the only film this director EVER made, I think it pretty well sums up how bad it is.
½ November 3, 2015
74%
Crude but humorously effective, Mystery Men is one example of juvenile comedy done mostly right.
½ October 26, 2015
I couldn't remember if I liked this movie or not. While it has its moments, I feel the genre of B-List superheroes has been done a lot better in movies like "Kick Ass," "Super," and "Kick-Ass 2." Also, the discotheque villain/finale were done much, much better in "Kingsmen." Stiller is pretty funny in this movie and whatever happened to Claire Forlani? That chick was hot.
October 19, 2015
Good cast, stupid, goofball characters. Good for a larf or two.
October 5, 2015
Silly and ridiculous, but fun and amusing. A good quirky off-beat parody on superhero movies. It knew what it was and didn't try to be anything else. Of course Ben Stiller was the worst part, as always.
½ September 28, 2015
What it lacks in discipline, it makes up for in originality. It's quirky cast (which includes a largely A-list principle cast and many amusing cameos) and the conviction with which they play such goofy characters is not only funny and engaging, it is almost hypnotizing. This is a superhero caper that not only works as a brilliant spoof, but also a unique ensemble adventure comedy in its own right.
September 27, 2015
An underrated movie that spoofs the superhero genre.
August 13, 2015
Mystery Men is an overstretched, indistinct, unrestrained bouncy castle of a movie.
July 28, 2015
I love this stupid little movie. Critics (and even a large portion of the film's cast!) trashed it, but I think it's a fine spoof of superhero flicks. This one has a well-deserved cult following, of which I"m a proud member. Now I'm going back to community college.
June 19, 2015
Still wacky,silly, and occasionally romantic. This has some mishaps like the generic costumes, Special effects, and SFX. But all in all Ben Stiller makes this an accurate, funny quest to defeat evil.
June 13, 2015
If you have a passing knowledge of comic book superheroes you'll find this satire hysterical. It seems that all of the superhero powers are lampooned hysterically.
½ June 6, 2015
Delightfully cartoonish and fun to watch.
June 1, 2015
One of the best movies all time! Cult classics! Original story not a remake..
½ May 26, 2015
Goes for the joke but there is no flow to the action and the story falls rather flat.
½ May 18, 2015
Even though realising it's a 1999 film, NO!
½ May 15, 2015
Absolutely TERRIBLE. Yes I watched it. All the way through, argh
April 26, 2015
Like Batman and Robin - except it knows it's a joke. Big difference!
March 26, 2015
the first half seems like a comedy movie but the rest turns into a stereotypical superhero movie with an strange amount of absurdness