Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie Reviews

July 12, 2016
I love MST3K and this is basically an above-average episode.
July 5, 2016
When a movie is based on a television show, a major concern, usually by it's hardcore fandom, as to how faithful the adaptation will be. It also doesn't help that MST3K (as it's referred to by the fandom) as one of the most loyal and passionate fan base in tv history. Lucky, for them and me, it's just like the show.

I've always loved MST3k, and to be able to see it on the big screen doing what they do best, making fun of bad movies, is a joy to behold in a real theater venue. The only thing of note to say is, while it does follow the same format as every other episode of the series, the movie itself is actually far shorter than any episode on tv, running just 75 minutes as apposed to the normal 93 or so minutes. Many scenes where edited out and the ending was changed around to. Not only that, but there was much more of the movie, This Island Earth, that was not used. However, that can pretty much be accredited to the studio not really knowing what to make of this little Midwest puppet show they where investing into brining to the big screen.

With all that said, with all the years passed since their original debut in 1988, the crew of the Satellite of Love, remind us of must fun t can be just to sit down with a few good friends and do what many of us have always done, talk back at cheesy movies.
January 24, 2016
As much as I loved the television show, this movie is pretty much pointless. It's pretty much just an episode made with a higher budget. Nothing exceptional happens here, and the jokes are further apart (due to anticipation of the audiences laughter). Frankly, making a movie about their ultimate escape from space at the end of the series would have been a more ideal idea. However, growing up with the show makes me still love it nonetheless.
September 30, 2015
The people involved with this film have stated it's not as good as the show, but I disagree. I think it's just as good, and could've been a hit, if Gramercy Pictures hadn't been involved.
Like with Mallrats, they had gold, but treated it like a straight-to-video release promotion wise, dooming it before opening night.
My only complaint about this movie and the show is that trying to show this to someone not used to 100 laughs-per-minute is extremely hard to do. It's not like a standard comedy, where there's a setup, into a process, ending in a punchline. This film is joke, joke, joke, joke, joke, one after another until the film ends. Us fans LOVE it, but people who don't get it, just think we're nuts for liking it..lol
½ July 26, 2015
Apparently my sense of humor has shifted as I've grown up. Back when I was in college I first saw MST3K: The Movie without having seen any of the show and I laughed until I was crying. I wanted to check out the whole series and bought the VHS of this film within days of that first rental. Watching it now, more than 15 years since I last saw it, I found myself chuckling rather than outright laughing. I still appreciated the humor, but for some reason it felt too scripted and rehearsed instead of having the off-the-cuff feel I experienced as a naive teenager. The movie is also ridiculously short. It seems they seriously cut some of This Island Earth in order to get MST3K in under 1 hour and 15 minutes. The movie also lacked a lot of really great stuff to joke about. At times I thought they were straining to make a solid joke and kind of fell back on the same gags again and again. I feel like I'm really bashing MST3K, which is not my intent, because it still provided some good humor. Also I can't criticize something that made me laugh so heartily as a teenager. Perhaps if I was watching with the right crowd the laughter would be infectious again, but for now I seem to only have a passing interest in these methods of poking fun at bad cinema. I'd certainly watch it again if asked, but I no longer feel that MST3K is something I need to explore further.
June 5, 2015
It's good because it's just like the show.
April 20, 2015
I didn't think it was very funny. Their first mistake was choosing to watch a movie that's actually pretty good. I guess they figured people who don't watch the show will hate the movie if they go with their usual routine. It seems a lot of amateur shows do that. They forget that fans of the show get hooked the first episode. I first watched the episode with The Pod People. I had no idea who anyone was but I had a great time watching it. All that matters is the jokes are funny. Making fun of a good movie is just obnoxious. It won't win over any new fans. I highly recommend you skip the movie and watch any episode on YouTube.
April 18, 2015
Not even as good as their best episode, but not bad
February 1, 2015
If for some reason you're concerned about plot-holes and all that in this, just repeat to yourself: ''it's just a film, you should really just relax.''
January 7, 2015
Best movie ever made. EVER.
January 5, 2015
The usual fare from this group with a few scenes added in to make its own film with the test subject and his two robots. The movie being skewered here is a 1955 sci-fi film "This Island Earth". Personally, I'd rather watch the show's feature without the running comedy commentary, which I've never found overly funny.
August 16, 2014
Lots of laugh with Mike and the bots. The movie is much like the good old classic TV shows.
August 11, 2014
81%
Funny when it's not too cheesy.
July 7, 2014
The movie that peaked my interest in this series to begin with, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie is a laugh-out-loud funny spectacle that's quotable and recommendable to most audiences.
June 26, 2014
Me And My Brother Jesse Were 2 Years Old In 1996.
½ June 8, 2014
I was in tears. This is too funny. ENOUGH!
April 24, 2014
Great movie based on the greatest TV show of all time.
½ March 7, 2014
It's MST3K. If you like the TV show, there's a good chance you'll like the movie, although admittedly it feels a bit less edgy than the television version.
February 17, 2014
Genuinely hilarious, effectively a higher budget episode, resulting in some great comedy.
½ November 8, 2013
manos hands of fate, it was not.