Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie Reviews

• Jul 11, 2018

I remember seeing the TV show once, and I loved it. This movie I can really enjoy seeing.

• Jun 24, 2018

MST3K has always been one of my favorite TV shows, so I decided to check out their film adaptation. I liked it overall. The host segments are cool, and getting to see more of the SOL was an awesome treat. The film choice was too good for MST3K standards. This Island Earth is really not a bad film, its definitely one of the more tolerable of the MST3K catalog. Overall, MST3K: The Movie is a funny, well-done adaptation even if the movie choice could've been better. (But I understand why they chose the film they did choose)

• Apr 27, 2017

Even better in movie format!!!

Even better in movie format!!!

• Apr 14, 2017

Funniest show on TV has been revived. Nuff said

Funniest show on TV has been revived. Nuff said

• Nov 19, 2016

Honestly a pretty good movie adaptation of one of my favorite TV shows of all time, MST3K! While the movie choice wasn't NEARLY as funny as the show usually covers, the riffs and story are good, and its still funny enough to worth recommending it.

• Sep 11, 2016

I was not aware that this was a TV show and I went into this not knowing what to expect and that was just as well as if somebody would have explained the film to me first, I definitely would not have watched it. As it dawned upon me that this is just a bloke with two puppets talking over an old sci-fi film I began to hang my head but I was very pleasantly surprised as it's very clever and very funny. If this was not done so well then it would have been a disaster. Likewise, if they'd just taken the opportunity to swear over the top of the film which I can imagine they had to force themselves not to do just to get the adolescent fans on-side. Thankfully, they got it just right.

• Jul 12, 2016

I love MST3K and this is basically an above-average episode.

I love MST3K and this is basically an above-average episode.

• Jan 24, 2016

As much as I loved the television show, this movie is pretty much pointless. It's pretty much just an episode made with a higher budget. Nothing exceptional happens here, and the jokes are further apart (due to anticipation of the audiences laughter). Frankly, making a movie about their ultimate escape from space at the end of the series would have been a more ideal idea. However, growing up with the show makes me still love it nonetheless.

• Sep 30, 2015

The people involved with this film have stated it's not as good as the show, but I disagree. I think it's just as good, and could've been a hit, if Gramercy Pictures hadn't been involved. Like with Mallrats, they had gold, but treated it like a straight-to-video release promotion wise, dooming it before opening night. My only complaint about this movie and the show is that trying to show this to someone not used to 100 laughs-per-minute is extremely hard to do. It's not like a standard comedy, where there's a setup, into a process, ending in a punchline. This film is joke, joke, joke, joke, joke, one after another until the film ends. Us fans LOVE it, but people who don't get it, just think we're nuts for liking it..lol

• Jul 26, 2015

Apparently my sense of humor has shifted as I've grown up. Back when I was in college I first saw MST3K: The Movie without having seen any of the show and I laughed until I was crying. I wanted to check out the whole series and bought the VHS of this film within days of that first rental. Watching it now, more than 15 years since I last saw it, I found myself chuckling rather than outright laughing. I still appreciated the humor, but for some reason it felt too scripted and rehearsed instead of having the off-the-cuff feel I experienced as a naive teenager. The movie is also ridiculously short. It seems they seriously cut some of This Island Earth in order to get MST3K in under 1 hour and 15 minutes. The movie also lacked a lot of really great stuff to joke about. At times I thought they were straining to make a solid joke and kind of fell back on the same gags again and again. I feel like I'm really bashing MST3K, which is not my intent, because it still provided some good humor. Also I can't criticize something that made me laugh so heartily as a teenager. Perhaps if I was watching with the right crowd the laughter would be infectious again, but for now I seem to only have a passing interest in these methods of poking fun at bad cinema. I'd certainly watch it again if asked, but I no longer feel that MST3K is something I need to explore further.