Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie Reviews

½ November 8, 2013
manos hands of fate, it was not.
October 5, 2013
As a fan of the show this is disappointing. The movie isn't very bad (though it does get pretty silly towards the end), so the riffs are slow and not very funny, and the host segments just feel completely wrong being shot on film and actual sets. Oh well. Onwards to season 7.
September 28, 2013
More like an average episode of the show than a feature length film, "MST3K: The Movie" is still very entertaining and hilarious at times.
September 11, 2013
If only there were more movies like this.
September 6, 2013
A lite version of the fantastic series. This film version was good but kind of watered down.
September 2, 2013
Seems like just another episode of the show which is just fine to me.
½ September 2, 2013
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, although critically acclaimed by many, was seen by fans as not the best that MST3K had to offer, but it was good enough to get some new fans into the fold. I pretty much feel the same way. What's fun about MST3K is when the movies that they spoof are just completely incompetent, haven't aged well or lack any quality whatsoever. Everything from 50's sci-fi B movies to 80's sci-fi train wrecks are really the bread and butter of the show's focus, and the film featured in the movie, This Island Earth, doesn't reach those sort of levels. We appreciate the heck out of it for the effort, and we genuinely laugh along with it, but it wasn't the olive in the martini. A lot of it had to do with the studio that they were working with who noted it quite a bit and pressured them into cutting a big portion of it out. The movie is actually shorter than episodes of the original TV show. Regardless of that, it's still a fun movie.
August 15, 2013
as a fan of MST3K it is just the TV show in that 1 man and 2 robots roast a crappy movie and I could not ask for any more
June 12, 2013
It was okay even though it was like the shortest of the MST3K series.
June 3, 2013
Not as funny as I remember it I but still laughed.
May 13, 2013
Quirky commentary at its finest!
April 25, 2013
I can see this being a television special rather than a movie. It is a bit short compared to the TV episodes, but it's still funny as hell. This is what introduced me to the MST3K franchise.
April 17, 2013
About as good as an average episode of the series where the cast and writers might've been a little off their game that week. Part of the problem is that the movie they review isn't nearly as mind numbingly stupid and horrible as many of the other movies they riffed on. And while I don't loathe or hate Mike like some do, I've always been more of a Joel guy. The "host segments" are a little more varied than the show ever had, with a better budget...but I think I just prefer the really cheap sets and style of the show. Really the show was nearing the end of it's best days creatively when the movie was made, Beaulieu was just leaving the series, and Joel and Frank had already left. I think the series ultimately works better on the small screen, but fans of the show can really just watch the movie like it is just another episode, it really isn't too different.
February 24, 2013
Amazing! A classic cult classic. Keeps you laughing with it's never-ending wit and uber-quoatable delivery.
February 22, 2013
the film and the show are legendary all together
February 17, 2013
It's an episode of the show and it's funny! If you've never watched MST3K, this is a good place to start.
February 17, 2013
It may not contain the legendary team's best work, but there are still plenty of solid laughs to be had for fans of the original series.
February 14, 2013
the movie isnt as great as the tv show but techincally, its still a ton of fun.