Mystic Ball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mystic Ball Reviews

May 30, 2012
Is Greg Hamilton lucky to be so obsessed with this 'sport' (perhaps lifestyle is more accurate) or is something missing in his life? Still, it is a beautiful film and thoroughly engaging.
May 30, 2012
The sport and the footage thereof was awesome. I did not really care for Greg Hamilton, which is too bad because he is in the whole thing. This movie made me feel fat and lazy.
½ May 30, 2012
The film is strongest when it is focusing on the Burmese Chinlone players. Greg Hamiliton's narration is at times quite annoying, and his own journey never seems as compelling as those of the other players that we only glimpse. That said by the end one finds oneself rooting for "Mr Greg" and happy that he has found joy in this sport, seeing as his life seems to have been missing something up until his discovery of it.
What the movie does best is in shedding light on this aspect of Burmese culture. So often Burma is only looked at in terms of its oppressive government, and it is important to see the joy and the love that the Burmese are able to find in life.
½ May 30, 2012
last movie that made me well up
½ May 30, 2012
A deeply enriching experience! Follow this Toronto man's social and spiritual journey through his meditative process mastering the demanding physical skill in the game/dance of Myanmar's traditional sport of chinlone! Magic on so many levels.
½ May 30, 2012
Great documentary on the Chinlo sport of Myanmar. Great visuals and personal/sports story from a fellow Torontonian.
½ May 30, 2012
In Myanmar, an obscure sport called 'Chinlone' is played there obsessively. This film follows one man's discovery and infatuation with the pastime. This 'Sport' (although I totally dispute this claim) is very similar to hackysack (although the director disputes THAT claim too, he doesn't mention it in the movie) except it's done with a larger lighter, hollow-sized, volleyball shaped ball. The art of bouncing it around with your feet is tricky, and is all quite interesting, and the tourney Myanmar has for this is really quite spectacular, as with the images of the country itself. but the film gets bogged down from the tepid children's sing-song narration, done by the director himself EG "I was soooo tired! It was sooo beautiful!" I don't know, I didn't like the film as much as other people it seems, I think this one is just a touch overrated.
May 30, 2012
Unbelievable talent in this game. Average narratin brings it down a peg.