The Myth Of The American Sleepover - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Myth Of The American Sleepover Reviews

½ March 24, 2016
Slow and boring, if this movie moved any slower it would have gone backwards.
March 19, 2016
Unrealistic and boring.
December 12, 2015
I won't say all of the time, but sometimes its just like that. The Myth of American Sleepover is largely in the title. Not knowing what the movie was about it takes me about 30 minutes to figure out exactly where this was going. As flat as it may be it is easily realistic. As a teen sometimes things are a huge deal but in the grand scheme of things not much is going on. That's sort of what happening here. Then there are the vast majority of the times as a teen when you sit up anxious for something exciting to happen and nothing at all really occurs. Lame, I know but also very realistic. Especially in contrast with many teen dramas where teens are portrayed as heathens who sex, rape, humiliate, party, break laws, abuse drugs and alcohol and carry themselves to untimely deaths. The truth of the matter is that not much of anything is happening and your kids will almost certainly come back in one peice aside from the occasional necking and drinking Boones Farm.
August 29, 2015
"Special But quiet Boring".
½ July 31, 2015
A really interesting and real movie about the teenage life. More and more you see these coming of age movies with their popy soundtracks blasting in the background or a bunch of stereotypes written from the point of view of adults but here non of these characters feel like stereotypes. They are all real teenagers I knew growing up. Though it holds off on some things, this movie takes a lot of great chances and I applaud them for it. David Robert Mitchell is definitely a director on the rise with his wonderful horror hit It Follows earlier this year and with both of these films, it shows that he really knows how to A. Discover great young talent and B. Find realistic performances out of these teens. From the conversations they have to the actions they do, he isn't for stereotypes and I love that about him. It is a little slow at times and a little too quiet but it does capture the eeriness of suburban summer nights. Really great indie gem that I hope more filmmakers will make in the future
June 3, 2015
This movie shows the adolescent years of these 4 people.They are just in search for love or just maybe kisses.Everyone just wants to sleep with the next attractive person they see.Acting is not that great,characters are sometimes dull,you just don't connect with anything in this movie.I would not recommend this.
½ May 31, 2015
This reminded me so much of Dazed and Confused, and American Graffiti. Such coming-of-age films are rare, probably once a decade. This is it!
May 22, 2015
Moody. That's what teenage feels like, right?
May 20, 2015
A huge young ensemble cast give uneven performances in a rather slowly-filmed story.
May 13, 2015
A strange movie that effortlessly flits between selfawareness and nonchalence of the genre. Thematically the four stories are tied by the expectations and realisation of what is essentially the American Dream.

The result lands somewhere like a modern rendition of John Hughes movie
½ April 27, 2015
#americansleepover shares some keen insight into the mind of the American teen, and with plenty of well-written moments, it justifies its run time.
December 11, 2014
As someone who generally appreciates small stories of human connection and can handle a fair share of mumblecore quaintness, this film is just flat out, flat. Maybe I just don't personally relate to these characters, but I have seldom spent time with such a boring batch of straight faced mumblers. The thing that struck me as most dubious about this film was that the portrayal of these young people felt completely inauthentic. No young person I have met, (or at least VERY few) are as dry, and devoid of emotion outside of whimpering quiet sadness and loneliness than the characters portrayed in this film. I do not remember the names of any of them, and they had almost no character traits other than a clear desire to be loved and accepted. Adolescence is a time of a emotional irrationality and acting out, yet almost all of the characters in this movie act like depressed middle age people in their humble pursuit of pathetic nothingness. Also, unless things are wildly different in the area that this film takes place, the activities that these teenagers involve themselves in seem strangely dated, as if your grandfather was talking about what he used to get up to with his friends. A fucking make out maze? extreme cases of third wheeling, kisses so mechanical and forced that they might as well be under a mistletoe, etc.. This film comes off like some distant, vague, completely impressionistic and unrealistic memory of a childhood that is distorted by the current depression of the old man telling a story. I did not find this sad, uplifting, funny, engaging, or really anything. I sat there for 90 minutes as a massive wave of curious indifference washed over me. I also found the dialogue to be very questionable at times, as well as the acting; especially by the twins (again, I remember no names). I apologize if I am wrong about the authenticity of these characters relative to the area and culture, but I got a strong vibe of bullshit from this movie. Not only did this massively disappoint me considering that I am a huge fan of coming of age films such as Dazed and Confused, or more recent films such as The Spectacular Now or Boyhood, but it severely dampened my interest in this director's work. The Myth Of The American Sleepover feels hollow, unspeakably boring, inauthentic and nearly condescending in it's oh so sweet, subtle sentimentality. I only gave it two stars based on the fact that I was half asleep when i watched it and may have missed something, unfortunately I don't think there's nearly enough here to justify revisiting it.
June 11, 2014
David Robert Mitchell's naturalistic approach to telling this story is something to behold. He sidesteps the tropes of the coming-of-age genre successfully, which makes "The Myth of the American Sleepover" an minor success. There needed to be a bit more depth to the characters and overall plot to make it a truly memorable experience.
½ May 16, 2014
gorgeous little movie . Subtle take on the teen genre which is quite refreshing after movies like Mean Girls or Thirteen. Much more realistic although the scene where they go to what must be some straight teen beat was odd and the twin sex fantasy as well , but even these subplots were handled with a light a nieve touch that made them totally enchanting and believable.
½ May 16, 2014
Natural and beautiful.
½ April 13, 2014
oh boy another coming of age tale
January 30, 2014
I want to see this.. where can I find it?
½ November 15, 2013
Mom: This is better than Fox Movies
Me: Uh.....
August 18, 2013
another movie which I'm not surprised has a high critic rating. critics eat this nostalgic coming-of-age type of crap up. well I'm not drinking from the communal punch! another bland film laced with nothing to say. someone somewhere is regretting funding this one.