Nagareru (Flowing) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nagareru (Flowing) Reviews

½ August 6, 2012
Naruse is a taste that I've yet to acquire.
Keiko A. --Samurai--
August 14, 2011
A favourite throw cinema here and i can see why as it exsplores someones personality and style that makes up us. I can somewhat call it overrated but still good.

I liked the direction and acting but it good very slow most times and near the end. Still it's filming techniques kept me right their.

Nice setting and music, and if your a fan of this stuff i say see it.
½ January 11, 2011
This film, I feel is a little overrated; I liked it, and the actresses are good, esp. Sugimura and Takamine, but otherwise, meh! The story is okay, and that for me is a fault in an otherwise good film.
November 16, 2010
I don't care if I didn't get it. It's fucking boring.
½ July 17, 2010
Naruse allows us special access to the backstage workings of a geisha house under financial duress through the eyes of an older maid (Oharu). As debts mount, the predominantly female cast squabbles and suffers. Yet, life goes on, some characters drift away, and everyone must resign themselves to changes.
½ October 9, 2009
A fine film that is kind of midway between Ozu's gently-paced domestic drama and Mizoguchi's stories about prostitutes. Naruse takes a snapshot of a brief period in the decline of a geisha house, as post-war society in Japan shifts to a more modernized mindset. It's not a particularly subtle or ground-breaking work, but it is agreeably well-done. Not a bad performance in the bunch, and it's got a nicely rounded set of characters. Occasionally confusing, though.
September 9, 2008
I have to stay, it is interesting to see Naruse as a director with a delectable tableau of styles. I mean, sometimes sombre, sometimes jazzy. His style surprises me more than any other director from Japan. I found this film to be poignant in its display, almost a discovery, of various generations, of people and of the different clashes and yet, never surprising me in tis lack of cliches. Also, the Naruse films have a form of comedy and humour that is so unique and really make you smile.
May 9, 2008
5 of the greatest actresses in Japanese film history. One of the supreme masterpieces of the cinema.
January 22, 2008
Last days of a Geisha House, felt more like a documentary than a fiction...
½ September 11, 2007
Fascinating movie about the changing role of a geisha house in Japan before and after the war.
January 9, 2007
Dying to see this film, will be getting that MoC box set soon.