Naked in New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Naked in New York Reviews

½ April 8, 2015
This film tries hard but a romantic comedy without a soul is hard to watch.
December 17, 2014
A movie of somewhat indulgent introspection, a confection of twentysomething ambivalence.
½ June 5, 2011
Pretty good. This is about a man and a woman who love each other, but their lives move in different directions as both want to advance their careers. I didn't love the ending, it just kinds of drops off with the hope that everything will work out, but I don't feel that anything was truly resolved.
November 24, 2010
Mary-Louise Parker was even more gorgeous when she was young
October 29, 2010
Mary-Louise Parker was even more gorgeous when she was young
August 19, 2010
"Naked in New York" begins with the main character Jake (Eric Stoltz) sitting in his car, looking directly ahead and narrating as if the audience is the windshield. I liked that. The movie is essentially about a college graduate trying to make it in New York City, and keep his relationships intact at the same time.

As Jake tells us in his car-scenes, his father walked out when he was a baby, he had to look after his mother. She was very emotional. "Clearly, having no men around made me sensitive to women." he says. Jake is a playwright, telling the story of his life and his attempts to become successful. His friend Chris (Ralph Macchio) describes him as an "artsy New York jew". Chris is an actor and friend of Jake's. Unlike Jake he has a pretty normal family. From the beginning it seems as if Chris might have a bit of a thing for Jake, and they explore that a bit in the movie. Poor Chris. Mary-Louise Parker plays Joanne, a girl Jake meets at college who Chris calls a "whitebread WASP". When Joanne and Jake get series, she becomes a successful photographer.

In terms of the supporting cast there's Timothy Dalton as Elliot, a family friend who Joanne's mother tries to push on her. And who helps Joanne with her photography. Tony Curtis! As a producer of plays. Kathleen Turner as an actress. A pretty good cast really. So funny seeing a very young Mary Louise Parker, since I've only really seen her in Weeds. And in general I quite like Eric Stoltz. Naturally ever since "The Outsiders", I adore Ralph Macchio, the karate kid. "Naked in New York" is really just about Jake's life, his career, his relationships... It's occasionally funny. Interesting. Well-acted, well-written. A cool movie. About people. And life. Really, it isn't as boring as I'm probably making it sound. Decent 90s flick that I think is worth a watch, if you can get your hands on it.
½ July 19, 2010
omg that guy is ugly, soo stupid
June 27, 2010
Le film n'est pas mauvais en soi, mais il ressemble tellement à Annie Hall, qu'on frôle vraiment le plagiat!! Le personnage principal reste attachant.
October 20, 2009
Normally I would of given this movie a 3 star rating because it was very slow, however, Eric Stoltz's full monty....I have to give the perfect score!"
October 16, 2009
good movie !! funny and relateable
½ October 4, 2009
missleading title much?
March 23, 2009
The only reason i saw this was because i wanted to see Ralph Macchiano. How crazy can you get with this film it just has no center of idea in the characters or in the plot. It may be good for professional film critics, but it's bollocks for me
January 12, 2009
It was quite intresting movie..
January 12, 2009
A sleeper of a film---you should check it out only for the pleasing duo of Stoltz and Parker, plus delightful appearances from Jill Clayburgh and Calista Flockhart (screen debut).
October 9, 2008
This movie was strangly wonderful. It is like no other movie i have ever seen befor me and my best friend watched it and had to leave the room a few times. Ralph Macchio as a Gay Guy was just about the weirdest thing in the world. I'm going through my Ralph stage right now so to see him kiss Eric Stoltz was in Ralphs words "That was Pretty Wierd"
haha. But I love this movie i own it i own all of Ralph's Movies. I just think he is the best Actor ever!
September 23, 2008
An Awesome Movie !

Afun Loving Comedy !
December 10, 2007
I really love this movie. An idie gem. I highly recommend it.
November 21, 2007
a woman + man have sex, vagina,kissess
October 6, 2007
filiminho bobo, meio sessão da tarde (não fossem as cenas de nudez). retrata aquele período bem característico do pessoal de 20 e poucos anos, sofrendo com a pressão pelo sucesso profissional e pessoal... mas, não adianta nada a ansiedade: "as coisas simplesmente acontecem. não é culpa de ninguém".
½ June 26, 2007
Four and a half stars simply because of the execution. This movie was done in such an honest and realistic style that one forgot that it was a movie at all. Rather, it seemed much more like a real situation into which we have found a magical window. Definitely a fascinating pick.