Nameless Gangster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nameless Gangster Reviews

½ September 2, 2012
Choi Min-Sik's greatness fails to save this lifeless, endless supercut of gangster film clich├ęs.
½ August 20, 2012
Interesting story, at its best fascinating and deadly cool, at its worst a bit slow (the duration is 2 h 13 min).
August 16, 2012
Satu lagi film korea yang tidak boleh dilewatkan. Setelah sukses membuat kita geram di I Saw The Devil, Choi Min Sik kembali menunjukan kualitas aktingnya yang memukau dengan menjadi seorang penjilat didunia gangster.
August 16, 2012
Not a bad gangster film, though it feels like it needed a stronger script. You can tell this film was inspired by Scorsese's gangster films like Goodfellas. Choi Min-shik was amazing as usual, I wish he can star in a Hollywood film one of these days.
½ August 15, 2012
Loved this korean gangster flick......brings about two of my favourte actors Choi Min Sik ( old boy/ i saw the devil) & Ha Jung woo( chaser/ yellow sea).... Choi plays the shrewd character who uses his intelligence to survive all end an move up the ladder along with Ha Jung woo who provides all the brawn and power.... game of deceit / corruption and whatever it takes to get you to the top..... watch it!!!!!!
DragonEyeMorrison
August 12, 2012
While the movie seems to depend on too many coincidences the exploration of loyalty and greed is effective, along with the performances from both Choi Min Sik and Ha Jung Woo. Watch it before it gets a....yeah, you know what i'm talking about.
July 25, 2012
This is a movie about a wannabe gangster who is a survivor. He repeatedly wriggles out of tight spots without knowing how he got there, or how he got out. He is a civil servant at the docks of Busan, So. Korea, who stumbles upon a robbery, chases off the robbers, and discovers they were after several pounds of heroin. His co-worker is 'connected' and knows a big-time dealer. One thing leads to another (see the above review), and he becomes a kingpin - a neophyte in the drug trade.

The film was interesting, but a few things worked against further appreciation of the film. I couldn't grasp the significance of the importance of family relationships and how this could save him from death numerous times. This was very crucial to one's understanding of the story, because in an American gangster movie, he would have been toast quickly, and this would have been a film short.

Over and above that, he is beaten up several times and emerges with nary a scratch. In addition, he (Choi) is a rumpled and unattractive man who lacks a moral compass; as a result, I was unable to generate any sympathy or rooting interest, and the supporting cast fell into the same category. I also think there was an occasional continuity lapse. For instance, in one scene, one of the major drug dealers is stabbed in the abdomen and bleeds profusely. In the next scene, he is his old, menacing self, as if nothing happened to him. Many meetings and dinners take place seemingly without relevance or time frame; who are these people, and why are they there? And where are they?

I did the best I could to keep up and there were several violent scenes with fights and beatings and apparently no one in Korea uses guns, which would have ended some of those fight scenes pretty quickly. Sound was amplified for the fights and beatings - having seen many gangster pictures, the slaps and blows are never that loud.

I rated it a six - perhaps I would have appreciated it more if I had a better understanding of Korean customs and culture. Or maybe if I were given a reason to root for the protagonist.
½ July 18, 2012
Engaging crime drama about loyalty and betrayal!!
July 1, 2012
The gangster film genre, especially period pieces, is one that is always threatening to go stale. So it's good to see that people can still infuse it with fresh stories and interesting characters. Choi Min-Sik proves that his turns in Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, and I Saw The Devil are not flukes, and that he is indeed one of the finest actors working today.
½ July 1, 2012
wouldn't have watched it if it weren't for Ha Jung-woo and Chi Min-sik....
½ June 23, 2012
In the gangster world, is there such thing as loyalty?
½ April 19, 2012
Great character movie with Min-sik Choi giving a terrific performance! If you're a gangster film fan, this is mandatory viewing.
April 16, 2012
its crazy how they made the movie seem like it was actually filmed in the 80~90s good move definitely watch it
½ April 12, 2012
A solid mix of gangster lifestyle and family dynamics. After being ousted by higher officials, Choi Ik-hyun finds a kilo of heroin and sells it to his relative, Hyung-ae. After jumping into the criminal lifestyle, Ik-hyun uses his contacts to make some money. But petty rivalry and misunderstandings turn their bond into a bitter betrayal that leaves no one unharmed. A well acted crime thriller that could have used more conflict, but a nice character study with top actors.