Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase Reviews

½ March 18, 2019
Great movie! Very exciting and entertaining. Very family friendly and reccomend seeing it!
½ March 18, 2019
The best film Nancy Drew yet. She captures the charm and timelessness present in the books, with a slightly sassy modern edge.

Fans of Nancy Drew can expect to see series regulars Bess, George, Helen Corning, Chief McGinnis, Hanna Gruen and Carson Drew all in the same movie for the first time.
March 17, 2019
nice clean fun... very good not great but worth your time
March 17, 2019
Great movie! Very impowering to young girls. Nancy Drew is someone who stands by her friends and does not let bullies get away with it. This movie has great twists and turns. Excellent suspense movie for young viewers and also fun for the whole family. I truly appreciate any movie I can enjoy and my kids enjoy too. Can not wait for the next one. Love this portrayal of Nancy Drew more than previous movies.
March 17, 2019
Sophia Lillis is the perfect Nancy Drew, giving a performance filled with humor and freshness. Any child will enjoy the movie, and the adults at the theater did too!
½ March 17, 2019
Not the Nancy Drew I've known. And as just a regular movie, bad plot.
March 17, 2019
This movie has not gotten enough attention! I went to see this because I used to love Nancy Drew but I'm glad I watched it because it was a good movie! Likeable characters, plot twists, good mystery. What's not to love! I recommend this one.
March 16, 2019
Delightful movie, which honors the spirit of the original books while updating Nancy's world.
½ March 16, 2019
Good movie with a decent plot, strong women, real emotion, and few plot holes. Basically it had everything Captain Marvel was lacking. What it didn't have is Disney money and a PR department saying you're a horrible person if you don't like it. So again, it wasn't Captain Marvel.
½ March 16, 2019
This is an adolescent movie, which has its own scale by which to judge. The lead has a fun and even performance but her younger costars do not fair as well. The saccharine, Scooby-Doo plot never builds real suspense but I yield that it is a kids film. My rating is being over generous to make up for the genre.
½ March 15, 2019
The movie was generic and overall pretty boring.
March 15, 2019
So it was a slow weekend at the movies (since I had already seen Captain Marvel twice) and I saw a trailer for this movie and thought it looked cute so I'd give it a look-see.  I am glad I did.  I really enjoyed this pre-teen movie about the famous junior detective.  When I rate a movie, I judge it by the genre that it is as opposed to trying to rate this against an Avengers or Green Book or any other type of movie.  So, for a pre-teen mystery movie, this one gets 4 Icees.

I have a friend of mine (Jessica) that has two daughters that I think might enjoy this movie.  There are almost no male "main" characters.  The men in this movie (the father, the sheriff, etc..) are supporting characters and you know what?  That works just fine.  I like that the ladies are the sole focus of the movie.

The plot is sometimes predictable but otherwise engaging enough for young audiences.  However, one word of warning.  There is one scene that frightened a couple of the younger girls in the audience.  So if you bring youngins in, be wary of the "haunting" scene.  To avoid spoilers, I won't go any further into explanation.

The actresses all did a good job, with a special shout-out to Linda Lavin.  She, as always, played her role amazingly.

As many know, Nancy Drew had many adventures in the literary world.  I can only hope that this movie does well enough to warrant a sequel.  I for sure would watch it!  All in all, this movie was enjoyable to watch and I think it was a good movie for the pre-teens out there.

So if you're looking for an alternative from Captain Marvel and you have young kids (or just want to see a nice movie), this one just might be the right one.

No scene during or after the credits

Enjoy...