Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase Reviews

• 2d ago

My grandchildren loved it!!! It does an exceptional job at respecting the character in the Novels while placing it in today's world!

• 2d ago

This movie is very entertaining which is why we go to the movies. Even though I have no nostalgic attachment to the Nancy Drew books, I really enjoyed this film. The story is about Nancy Drew who has just moved to a small town called River Heights. She meets an elder woman named Flora who claims her house is haunted. Nancy decides to investigate with the help of her friends, George and Bess, and Flora's "mean girl" niece, Helen. My biggest issue with this movie is the mystery. I understand that this movie is aimed at younger kids, yet I feel the mystery is too easy to solve. However, that is my only major problem with this film. Plus, I didn't mind this that much, since even though the mystery is obvious, I mostly let it slide as I enjoyed the characters so much. One thing I really like about this film is the typical mean girl character, Helen. At first it seems like Helen is just a stereotypical popular girl. Instead, she's only mean for a little bit of the movie. Halfway in she actually goes through a character arc. I really like this as I honestly feel mean girl characters are so overdone at this point. So it is nice to see this character done differently. However, my favorite character is hands down Flora. She is a very funny and so memorable. Everyone needs to have an Aunt Flora in their life. Flora had some of the best lines in the movie. I really like the cast of this film. Sophia Lillis as Nancy Drew is fantastic. She is very engaging and I hope to see more of her in the future. Linda Lavin as Flora is amazing. She brings so much charisma and humor to every scene she is in. Zoe Renee as George and Mackenzie Graham as Bess are also pretty good supporting characters. I wish they were in the movie more. Now, it's no secret that Nancy Drew is timeless. The books were first written in 1930 and they have been inspiring women ever since. I believe Nancy Drew is timeless and we all need a little girl power! I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 7 to 18. This film comes out on March 15, 2019 so look for it. Reviewed by Calista B., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, visit kidsfirst dot org.

• 5d ago

It was pretty bad. The writing was awful and most of the acting was terrible. Actually, I thought the adults did an especially bad job while some of the kids were better. The age range of people cast the same age was confusing. E.g. the main girl is actually a kid while her new friend is actually like 28 or something. The story was fine for a kid's movie and I'm sure kid's would enjoy it. I don't recommend it for adults.

• May 18, 2019

I loved the actress who played Nancy, it really felt like her. I was engrossed the entire movie! The teenagers actually feel like teens instead of most modern movies where I can't relate at all. I think this is a great step in reviving Nancy Drew into the new generation. I hope so much they do make a sequel!!

• May 06, 2019

my kids loved it, even my 8 year old son watched it several times because of the haunting scene

• May 02, 2019

Bad acting combined with outdated sayings (not of the Nancy Drew era but of the 80s) make this painful to watch. As a long time Nancy Drew fan I was excited about the movie but watching it with the horrible music, none of the main actors having any true acting ability and a very poorly written script make this a disappointment. We get that Nancy is supposed to be young and hip but her clothes are painful, the skateboarding is overdone and the delinquency is such a turn from the true Nancy Drew that they should be ashamed of themselves.

• Apr 13, 2019

The movie itself was entertaining and I imagine non-Nancy Drew fans really enjoying it. However, as a hardcore Nancy Drew fan, it was painful to watch them completely change Nancy's character, almost every other character in the story, and the key qualities that make up the fictitious River Heights setting. The only two characters they got right were Bess and Carson Drew. Allow me to briefly list some of major changes that brazenly made. First off, Nancy has lived in River Heights her whole life and sincerely loves the town and the people who live there. This detail is specifically intricate to Nancy's character because her mother actually died when she was very little. In almost every book Nancy participates in community events, constantly volunteering, and always helping anyone who asks for her help, because aside from Hannah, the Drew's housekeeper and mother figure in Nancy's life (NOT her aunt) she considers her friends and neighbors her family. While Nancy is bold and often breaks a few rules, she's close allies with the River Heights police and stays within the law; a model citizen.

• Apr 12, 2019

Wow. From watching the trailer to watching the movie. Was it the same movie?? Had this been an original movie the interest in Nancy would never have taken off at all. Horrible storyline, amateur acting and just plain blah all around. So glad it was only a waste of Redbox fees and not a movie ticket price

• Apr 08, 2019

Its a kids movie and its cute but thats about it. The main actess knows what she is doing but the rest of the performances seem forced and a bit cheesy. Okay family movie but certainly not something you would want to watch twice.

• Apr 05, 2019

I found the film to be entertaining and engaging. I feel like they found the perfect cast for each role. As a fan of all things Nancy Drew I was happy when I heard that the film was being made and happy when I saw the trailer. I have to say that it did not let me down. I would recommend this to any Nancy Drew fan.