Nate and Hayes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nate and Hayes Reviews

August 12, 2017
Not a great movie but one that's hard not to enjoy! This John Hughes written, Tommy Lee Jones starring, Indiana Jones inspired, Pirates of the Caribbean inspiring swashbuckler really is a rollicking good time. Tommy Lee Jones is so damn charming! I expected to be absolutely horrid but as Indy rip offs go, this one ain't half bad.
April 2, 2016
A great rollicking adventure, amazing action, amazing actors, probably one of the finest films ever produced. Above all though, the locations were phenomenal - someone has done their recces. Buzzy/10
March 25, 2016
More of a misadventure than an adventure with tongue-in-cheek moments missing the mark. An attempt by Paramount to recreate the magic of Indiana Jones. Title had me fooled into thinking this was a buddy cop film. Conscripted by John Hughes.
January 23, 2014
This movie is silly but a lot of fun. Highly recommend it. :)
October 31, 2013
I watched this movie a lot as a kid. Goes to shows ratings don't mean squat. It's all about personal preference and as a kid all that jabber critics discuss, means nothing to someone who simply likes something just because.
March 18, 2013
Sympathique film de pirates porte par un Tommy Lee Jones en pleine forme constituant un bon duo avec Michael O'Keefe, Nate & Hayes n'a pas vraiment autre chose a apporter, tant le film manque d'originalite. Efficace et divertissant, rien de plus. La musique de Trevor Jones est particulierement reussie.
½ October 27, 2012
Unimaginatively titled adventure film that consistently fell short of its own seemingly grand aspirations. I never really cared what happened to any of the main characters. Subpar to even most of the Italian adventure films of the time that tried to capitalize on the success of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
½ July 11, 2012
A forgotten and under-appreciated gem, with a fairly young Tommy Lee Jones in the lead. As far as pirate movies go, it's pretty darn entertaining.
½ May 18, 2012
½ May 13, 2012
½ August 20, 2011
½ July 4, 2011
Algo dispensável. Não consegui entender seu sentido e muito menos ter paciência para assistí-lo. Não basta ter bons atores. A história é a principal.
½ May 27, 2011
Finally! I have enough time to write a review of this movie since I watched it THREE WEEKS AGO! This movie popped up in my recommended Netflix titles because I liked "Pirates of the Caribbean" and a couple movies that involved Tommy Lee Jones, who is teh awesome, by the by. So I was very curious when I looked into this..... a Swashbuckling movie... from the 80's.... with Tommy Lee Jones...???

Winning!

So I got it immediately and watched it. Twice. Of course most of the reason why I watched it a second time was because the first time I watched it I got interrupted and had to finish it the next day. So I wanted to watch it uninterrupted. But I have to say that I pretty thoroughly enjoyed this movie! And there are many parts in this that seem to have had some influence on "Pirates of the Caribbean" (which is funny, because my friend Josh Radke just said the same thing in his review of "Captain Blood" just now). It's a really fun movie. Admittedly, it's also a little strange at times.... Sometimes you almost feel like you're having a dream, and this movie is your dream. Because sometimes the humor seems a little weird, and the atmosphere of the movie at times can feel a little weird. But who says that's a bad thing :-D Really, it's not the strongest story ever told, but the movie really is just plain and simple: fuN. With a capital "N". Just because.

It also had a fun score by Trevor Jones, who, at this point, was still in his GOOD film score period. He would be until "Last of the Mohicans", and then all throughout the 90's he sucked pretty bad, and then he found his good music abilities again from the 2000's onward("Merlin", "Dinotopia", "Gulliver's Travels", etc. Amazing scores!)

So, overall, if you like Tommy Lee Jones, and you like Swashbucklers, and just want to have some fun: watch this movie!
May 26, 2011
Iove this Movie i use to watch it growing up i think its great and very enjoyable.... Dont know why the reviews below are hating on it.......
½ April 16, 2011
i remember seeing this when i was young and enjoying it. now having watched it again i can say i still enjoy it but now it seems to me that that got ripped off! "pirates of the caribbean" took a lot from this movie - i don't have evidence of it but it seems clear to me a lot of the first "pirates" film was lifted from "nate and hayes".

anyway, it's a fun, swashbuckling film. tommy lee jones is good and the rest of the cast does well too.
February 8, 2011
3rd class pirate movie, full of shit..But i have to admit, PIRATES OF THE CARRI BEANS is highly influenced by this movie, storyline is almost same!! should be credited for that !!
½ September 23, 2010
I liked it, a decent pirate movie.
March 16, 2010
John hughes helped write this, so it's worth a peek
½ August 8, 2009
Made before Tommy Lee Jones became a big star it was quite obviously the inspiration for Pirates of the Caribbean. It was released in the UK under the title SAVAGE ISLANDS but in some places it was called NATE & HAYES. However, shame on Paramount for not exploiting it better. I know they had a lot riding on the not dissimilar Indiana Jones films but this is a cracking adventure and deserves better treatment (and why oh why has it not been seen on UK television for about 15 years?).