Nate & Margaret - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nate & Margaret Reviews

November 24, 2013
I thought this movie was really good! Definitely weird but that kind of movie I especially LOVE!
½ July 5, 2013
Wow! What a wonderful and surprising little gem! This beautifully written comedy features truly original characters that are sadly lacking from most films today. The acting is just as terrific, particularly Natalie West and Tyler Ross in the title roles. Proof that you don't need a bazillion dollars or CGI to tell a great story. Very highly recommended, now on Netflix.
April 21, 2013
What a GEM!! Nate (Tyler Ross) is a 19 year old film student living in Chicago who is best friends with Margaret, a 52 year old spinster (played by Natalie West) who aspires to become a stand-up comedian. It surprised me to see how well they connected as friends considering the huge generational gap. Regardless, Nate gets invited to a party where he meets James and both fall in love. Nate's new romance with James will disrupt and perhaps hurt his friendship with Margaret but as Jeannette Catsoulis of the NY Times said in her review: "blessed with natural performances and brisk pacing, this unusual little movie would like us to know just one thing: Passion is fine, but a pal is PRICELESS". When time goes by, Nate will finally discover who is a REAL friend. Life is about to teach him a lesson in friendship. Recommended and even better- it is available on Netflix instant streaming!
March 3, 2013
Nate es un oven super gay de 19 y margaret es una solterona de 52 que vivejn ne el mismo edificio y que tienen una gran amistad y esta es la historia de como la pasion y el romance por mas intensamente que brillen no se pueden compara a veces con la verdadera amistad.

si puedes pasar de las escenas gay que son algo intensas en su besuqueo, puedes llegar a apreciar la historia de una pareja de amigos que se ven separados por una burrada y que tienen que hacer un verdadero esfuerzo para retomar el camino de la amistad mientras al mismo tiempo tratan de resolver su conflictos de desarrollo personal ella como una comediante y el como un cdirector cinematografico de exito.

Biuen realizada en una historia compacta que se mueve con naturalidad es una buena pelicula de buenaspersonas que tratan de recuperar un buen amigo a pesar de que a las personas que mas podemos lastimar es a quienes nos quieren mas
½ January 6, 2013
Had great potential with a very capable lead actor (Nate) but with an almost-autistic-seeming Margaret, who kind of made me uncomfortable. It was a completely plausible story with implausible execution. The director shows potential, though, and was crafty with his choices in music for the film but, sadly, a good film it is not.
December 29, 2012
Any resemblance between Nate & Margaret and Harold & Maude is purely intentional. In this case, being a modern take, the sexual edge has been dulled by Nate's homosexuality and Margaret's dysfunction. Both actors are quirky and likable. Problem is the screenplay hasn't got much more than stock conflict for them to sink their teeth into. Direction isn't the best either and some of Nate & Margaret seems awkward and ill-motivated. But for 78 minutes this is a duo that is interesting company.
½ November 12, 2012
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, this unusual little movie would like us to know just one thing: Passion is fine, but a pal is priceless.
October 20, 2012
Only made it about 30 minutes into this movie, was very boring and I turned it off.
½ September 27, 2012
While this is relatively well-made for a freshman filmmaker (Nathan Adloff), I wouldn't really want to recommend it as it is two stories in one -- one of which I highly disliked. Nate & Margaret are an odd couple Harold and Maude -- he's a 19 year old film student and she is a 52 year old coffee shop waitress who hopes to be a stand-up comic. THEIR storyline of an unusual friendship is sweet and charming; but when Nate meets his first boyfriend, James, THEIR story of romance isn't. James comes between Nate and his older friend and their friendship is put to the test (Nate turns into a total jerk too ... which I had a difficult time believing). The conflict did not convince me. Margaret's odd humor is off-putting but hilarious in a very unusual not-funny-at-all way. I wanted James to leave and never come back so I could have seen a bit more of a true friendship. The title characters were complimentary of one another (until James showed up) and all others were all trespassing in their film. It was also hard to get past the film's emotional climax as Lame James had too much of a sway on Nate. Oh well ... and that sums up the film. Oh well.
September 13, 2012
Simple, Honest & Charming!
July 20, 2012
This film explores the feelings of love and hate, romance and friendship, and joy and despondency with lovable and identifiable characters. I laughed, cried, and felt embarrassed with them in ways rarely seen for me.
June 11, 2012
A simple sweet story. Natalie West and Tyler Ross are really good in this.