National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation Reviews

½ December 21, 2016
Christmas Vacation is a consistently funny holiday movie that has stood the test of time well to make itself a Christmas standard even if some of the sophomoric humor doesn't always land.
½ December 18, 2016
This is just beyond boring and I don't know what's the point of this movie..
December 17, 2016
Watching it right now...again, we have seen this one a few times you know.
½ December 16, 2016
Maybe its age, maybe it's my own personal tastes, but honestly when I rewatched this movie I didn't find it particularly funny. The ideas behind a lot of the jokes are funny, but in their execution they mostly just made me chuckle. There were only a couple moments that really gave big audible laughs for me. Still, I was chuckling pretty consistently, and the ideas are clever. I like how it manages to be cynical and cheery at the same time, showing all the misery that comes from Christmastime with family as well as all the heart. Probably my favorite scene is when Chevy Chase gets locked in the attic and to pass the time he starts watching old home movies he found, only to fall through the floor when his wife unknowingly pulls the stairs out from under him. It's a genuinely heartwarming scene followed by a really funny moment. There's just not enough other stuff in the movie that's THAT heartwarming or THAT funny though. At least for me. I still like it a lot, it's an immensely likable movie. It covers all the insanity of Christmas in clever ways, and while there weren't a ton of belly laughs the chuckles were consistent the whole way through. I know it's a Christmas tradition for a lot of people, and while it isn't for me, I still have a lot of respect for it.
December 14, 2016
One of my favorite movies to watch during the Christmas season. The antics of The Griswold family are hilarious!!
½ December 13, 2016
This film is 100% filler with little to no actual character moments, it needlessly tortures the neighbours who have done nothing and it refuses to have a coherent story over the lead character wanting to buy a swimming pool. Pointless slapstick and uninspired jokes, I highly recommend you do not watch this film
½ December 11, 2016
I tend to watch this movie almost every year. It is still one of my favorite Christmas movies. Chevy Chase is at his best in this movie and Randy Quaid also has a memorable role in this as well. This is one Christmas movie that should be passed on to newer generations and not be forgotten.
December 11, 2016
One of the funniest Christmas movies I've ever seen. I watch it every year.
December 3, 2016
Love this movie. My Husband and I watch it every Christmas Eve!
December 2, 2016
Top 3 Best Christmas movie ever!
November 28, 2016
Christmas classic that only gets better with age, thanks to a game cast and sharp direction that pokes gentle yet pointed fun at the holidays. Chevy Chase is at his best as Clark Griswold, playing a man just trying to give his family a great Christmas, even if his expectations are too high. He gets great support from the rest of the cast, particulary Randy Quaid as Cousin Eddie, who tears through each scene like a bull in a china shop. Behind the camera, director Jeremiah Chechik films John Hughes's hilarious script perfectly, covering everything from decorating to hiding presents. They find the comedy in the frustration of the holiday while pointing out the joy in it, making a movie that deserves a permanent place in every Christmas movie rotation.
½ November 26, 2016
Greatest Christmas movie ever made!
August 30, 2016
Probably the tightest narrative of the bunch, but so paint by numbers it hurts. Like every tv movie on Xmas day.
August 30, 2016
This is our family's tradition: every year we put this movie on right before we begin decorating our Christmas Tree....my kids are I their twenties and there doing it with their kids..... Just something about this movie that embodies every one of us....you can see a little bit of each member of the family in each character, from Clark's well meaning but unrealistic vision of the "perfect" family Christmas i.e. Super sized Tree...lol....to Cousin Eddy....we quote this move all year long.....AWSOME is the only word for this movie
August 6, 2016
I love this movie, i've watched it every year at least once, for the last 20 years. My family will always treasure this movie.
½ July 30, 2016
Christmas Classic....just let him finish, watch it every Christmas
July 12, 2016
Still one of the funniest Christmas movies ever made, well acted, well written, and nostalgic to the bone.
June 24, 2016
,,,,¢,,,,,¦,,,,¢,,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,¢,,¦,¢,,¦â¦...
June 11, 2016
Just like the first movie, this movie is great. This is a great movie everyone will love and makes a great Christmas classic. A+