National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

December 20th 2013
December 22nd 2014
December 16th 2015
½ December 16, 2015
A great comedy that is nothing short of a Christmas classic.
Bradley T. Johnson
½ December 11, 2015
Christmas Vacation is an occasionally charming dysfunctional family holiday film that is nonetheless not as funny as it could be. It doesn't quite reach the Christmas classic heights it could have. Rating: 53
December 11, 2015
Classic. Still holds up....
December 11, 2015
For the month of December, I decide to watch the funniest Christmas movie that I've probably seen, and that is National Lampoon Christmas Vacation. The beginning starts with some impressive animation, and starts the film with the same characters from the first film, and are fun as ever. Chevy Chase is great as ever, and so are the cast of the family for that matter. The jokes are really funny, and the writing by John Hughes is really good. The characters are quite memorable still, especially Cousin Eddie who's probably one of the best parts of he film. The movie does a great job of having a feeling of Christmas all around, and making a lot of sweet moments that seem to understand about what Christmas is all about. It never felt mean-spirited to me, even if it did, it didn't bother me at all. There are some memorable moments, and a lot of family time that is enjoyable to watch. National Lampoon Christmas Vacation is a classic holiday film that I'll be watching that every time in December.
December 10, 2015
This is such a funny classic christmas comedy! So old school but still so relatable! I love watching this movie every Christmas!
December 10, 2015
While it has its moments, the movie just isn't funny
November 29, 2015
Great Film, and a family favorite in my house
November 29, 2015
My family watches this every Christmas and I swear we laugh every time
November 27, 2015
Just a good ole family tradition.
November 25, 2015
There will never be a better Christmas movie
November 21, 2015
A must for every Christmas season!
½ October 29, 2015
Funny Christmas classic!
October 26, 2015
Very funny and fantastic support acting from Randy Quaid and Beverly D'Angelo. A must see every Christmas.
½ September 15, 2015
What I believe to be one of the best sequels ever and probably the funniest Christmas movie. It's a holiday classic and if you grew up in a household that believes in holiday traditions and hosting the whole family. Then you will love this film. Randy Quaid helped Warner Brothers makes this film a success.
½ September 14, 2015
It's just a traditional Christmas movie to watch every year!
September 5, 2015
Watch it every christmas hilarious !
August 24, 2015
classic film with unforgettable one liners
August 11, 2015
Finally, a Vacation film that is good all around. It puts together the good qualities of the first and second movies to make a solid third installment.

Maybe I'm just getting used to these characters and the style of these films, but I'm certainly liking them more and more with each one.

In National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, the series goes back to being about Clark (Chevy Chase) and Ellen (Beverly D'Angelo). And it's never been more evident than by casting a third pair of children to play Rusty (Johnny Galecki) and Audrey (Juliette Lewis)--which has become an in-joke at this point. Clark attempts to have a perfect Christmas at his home, although it's being made very difficult with a house full of rowdy relatives.

This film is far more heartwarming than the previous two films, which are a giant batch of straightforward irreverence. But while that style may turn off some viewers, the well-balanced tone of this third film will have a little bit of both to satisfy everyone.

Possibly the highlight of this series is the brilliant running joke with the Griswold's pretentious neighbors, whose Christmas is getting incidentally ruined as a result of Clark needing to have a perfect one. It speaks of the depth of Clark's character as well as providing the audience with some of the most amazing pratfalls and farce of the franchise.

It's still very John Hughes-ey in its writing, but it definitely doesn't showcase any lack of ideas.

Twizard Rating: 83
½ August 10, 2015
I used to look at this poster as a kid and think wow this must be something crazy. And maybe it was for 1989, but it never did reach the satirical, slapstick or craziness I really thought it reached. Maybe it's just a Christmas movie (and I need to see the first installment for it), but although it was still fun to watch til the end, it never was fulling entertaining or paid off.