National Lampoon's Vacation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

National Lampoon's Vacation Reviews

February 15, 2016
Awesome movie still today. I think it's better than a lot of new movies.
½ January 18, 2016
truly amazing. just a bit of unnecessary parts. Really shows the best of the 80s
½ January 15, 2016
40 minutes and I was done.
January 14, 2016
Up until January 2016, I'd only seen bits and pieces of Vacation--my favorite scene being when Clark punches that moose. I had high expectations for what has become a classic American film. So, I finally watched it in one go, start to finish, and...I found it to be overrated. It was written by John Hughes, who wrote & directed my beloved Planes, Trains & Automobiles, and you can see some parallels to that later film (the car that John Candy & Steve Martin burn up in PT&A bears a similar look to the Griswold's station wagon, for example). I think the reason I liked Vacation less than PT&A is that the Griswolds cause their own problems whereas things happen in PT&A that are out of the characters' control. I don't feel sorry for the Griswolds, but I feel a little sorry for Neil Page & Dell Griffith.
½ January 8, 2016
Funny and one of Chevy Chases best films. It is a laugh riot and is just amazing in every way.
½ January 3, 2016
Maybe I was just in the right mood at the right time, but I thoroughly enjoyed this.
½ December 27, 2015
un classique a voir et revoir
December 27, 2015
National Lampoon's Vacation is the film that got everybody famous, Harold Ramis, Chevy Chase, and John Hughes, which really shows in this hilarious classic comedy that kept itself nice, short, and sweet. The film is about the Griswold family that goes on a road trip vacation to Wally World, but there are obstacles that are gonna stand in their way from it. It does set u up to get to know the Griswold family, and they are just as a normal family as it is in real life, except for other family members, and they are pretty funny. Chevy Chase is really good and has the comedic timing perfectly for the film. The writing by John Hughes is really good and goes on joke after joke which all hit bullseye. You can see the character progression while the movie keeps going which is very relatable and it does make people want to snap and have an outburst. The family members are a lot of fun to watch like Aunt Edna and Cousin Eddie. There were some parts that I thought was gonna lead to the same cliched tropes and is not gonna make the film do any better, but it surprisingly doesn't and handles the part very well which you don't see that often. If you haven't seen the film, you should really check it out, you won't regret it.
December 21, 2015
Vacation is one of the best comedies of all time. Chevy Chase shows off his brilliant talent as a comedian as Clark Griswold.
December 20, 2015
A classic family road trip loaded with laughs and entertainment with Chevy Chase turning in a memorable performance that would lead to an entire series to be made.
½ December 12, 2015
Holds up PRETTY well. "I think you're all fucked in the heads!"
½ December 10, 2015
There was a time in my life when I would have claimed this as one of my favorite comedies of all time. I have always liked the Griswolds and laughed heartily at Clark's never-ending struggle for a happy family vacation. However, now that I've grown up and started to really appreciate the struggles of attaining happiness, I had a slightly harder time laughing at this movie. In fact, I've grown to hate movies where everything goes wrong for the nice-guy protagonist, and so even a beloved movie like this feels a bit tainted by my disillusionment. Don't get me wrong, there are moments of pure comedic brilliance in this movie, and I have to admit the climax at the end is just amazing. It's kind of remarkable how, despite the fact that the events depicted are so ridiculous, Vacation still manages to reflect the real struggles of taking a family trip. Chevy Chase is perfect in the lead role because he can make a likable character go completely insane, and yet you still kind of feel sympathy for him. All the supporting cast is great including the best versions of Rusty and Audrey. I like National Lampoon's Vacation, and for most people you probably can get a good amount of laughs out of watching it. Also it serves as a good warning for anyone who thinks taking the family on a long road trip is no big deal. The only reason I was disappointed watching it this time is that I didn't LOVE it as much as I once did.
½ November 30, 2015
A bit harder to enjoy after seeing Christmas Vacation every holiday before this one, but it's the first and original Chevy Chase classic and it's almost just as good in several doses. It's the first fun-filled Griswald family vacation as they travel more than halfway across the country by car to a famous made-up amusement park with getting there being half (or even more than half) the fun. It's a total twist to normal family vacations as the Griswalds end up in the worst possible collisions and shenanigans probably ever known to man. Even with (spoiler) the park completely closed down at arrival, the Griswalds still find a way to end the day with smiles on their faces. Chevy Chase is well famous for his truly dumb comedy (in a good way of course) and his hilarious facial expressions. The rest of the cast is well played as well, including cousin Eddie. A pretty good classic and raunchy road trip comedy for it's time with a good intro song and skit.
November 26, 2015
A classic, riotous stable in early 1980s comedy.
November 9, 2015
Why can't we have more films like this. It's the kind of film you throw in on Saturday night, turn your brain off, and just have a good time.
October 26, 2015
Chevy Chase is just plain funny.
October 23, 2015
A classic comedy, one of Chevy Chase's best. Hilarious, and a fun movie to watch over and over. This is a must-see
October 7, 2015
Very entertaining! Also super funny!
September 15, 2015
A John Hughes script, directed by Harold Ramis and starring Chevy Chase. It's pretty much foul proof method. This move is a perfect comedy. Outrageous but still relatable. Silly but fun. Chase's best acting to date. Deep down inside I think we all have a little Clark Griswold.
½ September 6, 2015
This is an hilarious comedy. The basic premise of the movie is the family's vacation to visit Wally World (with an unexpected twist when they arrive) and all of the adventures that the family have along the way. There are so many funny one-liners and memorable scenes, led by Chevy Chase at his finest.