Naughty Marietta - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Naughty Marietta Reviews

½ June 3, 2016
not my fave eddy/macdonald pairing 4 this costume musical
½ November 18, 2014
The first pairing of Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy is not their best, but the fine supporting cast (including Frank Morgan & Elsa Lanchester) and some lovely tunes ("Italian Street Song," "Tramp Tramp Tramp" and "Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life") make it memorable.
January 16, 2014
So memorable that I had to be reminded that I saw it. Dated whimsy.
January 5, 2014
not the right clip :(
½ January 17, 2013
Super irritating musical that finds Jeanette MacDonald as a bride who escapes an arranged marriage and finds herself with other bridesmaids. They are then captured by pirates and what do you know, she falls in love with one of them (Nelson Eddy). Many songs that are the equivalent to the sound of an endless line of squeaking shrews that are begging for food, which essentially means annoying. No one comes out looking good after this one. The first of MacDonald/Eddy musicals and a possible foreshadowing of more poor musicals to come (if I decide to watch them which I probably to will for the sake of doing so). Ranks among the worst of movies to be nominated for Best Picture.
½ December 31, 2012
Cute and entertaining. Some of the music was a little over the top for me, but clearly of the time. Loved seeing a portrayal of early New Orleans.
½ September 6, 2012
Jeanette MacDonald period piece set around 1800, first in France then New Orleans. Jeanette plays Marie...., French royalty, who flees France to avoid marrying a certain gentlemen, well a fop really. When the ship she is on is captured by pirates it is Captain Warrington, Nelson Eddy, who rescues her. Once in New Orleans she does not tell anyone who she is and while there she falls for Captain Warrington, who does not know who she is, but suspects she is not as naughty as she claims. Her family finds out where she is, they come to N.O. with her betrothed. But her heart is for Capt. Warrington which they express in song. Comedy relief is provided by The Wizard (Frank Morgan), who plays a bumbling magistrate. With most MacDonald films you will either like or dislike them depending on if you like the songs and her voice which are displayed many times.
July 26, 2011
This looks like a very entertaining and engrossing musical.
½ November 24, 2010
Beautiful musical numbers, a plot that was unbelievably but at least historically sound, and an ending that seemed a little out of place. In all it was a nice movie to watch on a Summer morning.
June 28, 2009
Princess Marie de Namour de la Bonfain (Jeanette MacDonald) becomes upset when her prearranged marriage to a spanish Duke becomes imminent. Afraid that she would be stuck in a loveless union - she switches places with her maid, Marietta -runs away and disguises herself as one of the "casquette girls" - sort of mail order brides for colonist living in the Louisiana territory of the New World. Using the identity papers of the maid - Princess Marie manages to board a sailing vessel bound for New Orleans - barely escaping the frantic search for her by the King's soldiers.
The Princess soon finds herself in even more perilous straits when her ship is attacked and commandeered by pirates who hold the casquette girls as captives.
Hmmm...pretty interesting start there - in this musical/opera/drama/romance/comedy hybrid. The film differs from other musicals of the 30's in that it is more a throwback to entertainment of an even earlier time - the operetta. If opera is not your cup of tea, then It may take some getting use to having to hear soprano Jeanette MacDonald and baritone Nelson Eddy belt out their love for each other via operatic arias.
The story moves briskly along but rather tame in comparison to the pre-code musicals produced just a few years earlier - and why I much prefer, say Ernst Lubitsch's similarly-themed films (also starring Jeannette MacDonald) as much more fun to watch. The pirates never really had a chance with the casquette girls - not with the Hollywood censors on full watch!
Despite that, It's still worth a watch for the memorable songs - and besides - Jeanette MacDonald always looks great made up in her wonderful costumes.
Naughty Marietta was a very successful film with audiences and became what was the first of a string of films pairing Jeanette MacDonald with Nelson Eddy.
½ March 19, 2009
Naughty Marietta is a strange combination of opera, adventure, and romantic farce. The plot is pretty standard - a French princess is tired of her life and does not want to marry her chosen prince. So she disguises herself as a poor chambermaid and goes on a boat to New Orleans to start a new life. The ship is hijacked by pirates, but the girls are soon rescued by a band of soldiers. One of the soldiers becomes smitten with our heroine and pursues her until she too falls for him. The film is definitely dated and some of the musical numbers are a bit annoying. But the story and the acting are charming and it is easy to get swept away in the sweet old romance of the whole thing. My favorite part was seeing Frank Morgan in a role a few years before he played the Wizard in The Wizard of Oz. He's a great comic actor and a joy to watch.
September 29, 2008
You don't have to like opera to like this. Release it on DVD!
September 2, 2008
Silly older musical, but it was up for the Best Picture Oscar so I watched it.
July 6, 2008
nominated for best picture at the oscars
February 17, 2008
I love MacDonald's expressive face and inflection. They made the movie so much funnier. The Italian Street Song number when she laughed at Eddy was hilarious. <3 e and own it!
February 10, 2008
I love the acting and singing!!!
December 17, 2007
YAY! Everything in life relates to this movie
September 19, 2007
Ok, so this movie is extremely old, but it's one of my favorites. Jeanette MacDonald is adorable. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's sooooooooo cute!
½ September 14, 2007
I can't believe other people know this exists too!