'Neath Arizona Skies Reviews

• Jan 12, 2016

We're heading north. A half white and half Native American girl is left on her own when her mother dies leaving her the property and lease to their home and land. An evil settler wants to steal the property from her. The girl is aided by Chris Morrell, who agrees to help the girl find her father to help them claim the property. The settler will send his men to try and stop them. "Who told you she was yours?" Harry Fraser, director of Jungle Terror, The People's Choice, Gangsters on the Loose, Jungle Menace, Aces Wild, Jungle Man, and Wagon Trail, delivers 'Neath the Arizona Skies. The storyline for this picture is a bit cliché and straightforward. The action is average as is the acting. The cast includes John Wayne, Jack Rockwell, Sheila Terry, Shirley Jean Rickert, and Yakima Canutt. "He's still alive." This was recently recommended to me by Fios so I DVR'd it. This was okay and an entertaining western. I wouldn't call it anything special, which is why I have given it a C, but it's worth a viewing for fans of the genre. "I like it there." Grade: C

• Aug 05, 2014

John Wayne beats up guys and saves the day for a little half-white/half-native American girl. Simple story with bad acting and terribly choreographed fight scenes. Par for the course for movies of this era apparently.

• Apr 08, 2014

gr8 cast above ave. B movie fare

gr8 cast above ave. B movie fare

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Oct 17, 2013

This came from the Mill Creek Western Legends 50 Movie Pack Collection, One must remember this film was made 79 years ago, Thats is a powerful statement. Average Wayne-Lone Star matinée special. Chris (Wayne) is trying to secure oil money for fatherless Indian girl Nina (Rickert). Sam Black (a good name for bad guy Canutt) and his gang are trying to kidnap the girl and hijack the money. Nothing exceptional here, other than some good outdoor action and a clever Canutt-devised stunt with rope and a tree. For fans of Gabby Hayes, his likably grouchy character is almost complete. For me, the highlight was seeing Lone Star regular Earl Dwire actually play a good guy (Tom) for once. With his considerably less than handsome features, he fits the bad guy stereotype. So his role here amounts to a welcome departure showing that you don't have to look like a Wayne to play a good guy. Fairly scenic locations, not the Sierras unfortunately, but not the treeless LA scrublands either. Strikingly pretty Sheila Terry as Clara doesn't have much to do other than ride horseback in a dress, no less, and with the boys. Note the plunge off the cliff into the water. This was a popular stunt of the time and a fittingly dramatic end to a chase sequence. I can't tell whether this one is a stock shot from another film or not. But, never mind, since it's a grabber anyway. All in all, an entertaining 50 minutes, but nothing special. 2 1/2 Stars 10-16-13

• Oct 10, 2011

For a B-Western, this is incredibly good. Love it.

For a B-Western, this is incredibly good. Love it.

• Jul 17, 2011

• Jul 17, 2011

• Mar 30, 2010

One on many low budget John Wayne films from the 1930?s, this one is perhaps a little better than most, but it is still strictly routine. The plot is as basic as you can get. The acting is pretty good, but John Wayne is clearly not a natural actor. There is some nice locale shooting and it is short in length, making the pace vary good.

• Mar 30, 2010

54/100. One on many low budget John Wayne films from the 1930's, this one is perhaps a little better than most, but it is still strictly routine. The plot is as basic as you can get. The acting is pretty good, but John Wayne is clearly not a natural actor. There is some nice locale shooting and it is short in length, making the pace vary good.

• Mar 05, 2010

Despite grainy footage, mediocre costuming and a semi-predictable plot....it's a JOHN WAYNE movie. Shirley Jean Rickert (our Gang) as a young Nina...Quote: "I don't wanna go to school, I wanna be a cowboy."