Necessary Roughness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Necessary Roughness Reviews

August 16, 2016
When a drug scandal tears down the made-for-film football team of Texas State, recruitment has take a step outside of the ordinary. The movie centers around thirty-four-year-old Paul Blake (Scott Bakula) who was a high school football star but walked away from the game when some personal things happened in his life. Blake still has some college eligibility left and guess who comes calling? The Texas State Armadillos.

The premise is pretty ridiculous and, as of 2016, been done at least five times that I can think of off the top of my head. The entire team gets cut. Bring in the scrubs. I know, it's supposed to be a comedy and I preach all the time about suspending your disbelief, but I can't let this slide without docking a few points. Flag on the play. I have an immense respect for professional athletes of all sports. It takes a tremendous amount of talent to be able to produce at such a high level. So, when I see random dudes just showing up on the field (some after being in hiatus for over a decade), it feels somewhat disrespectful to the Peyton Mannings and the Lebron James' of the world. At 39, even Peyton isn't the same player he used to be and that's after years of being on the field. But you mean to tell me that a has-been can just step on the field and ball out of his mind? Erroneous.

This probably all sounds like I hated the movie, but the joke's on you. At the end of the day, it does what it sets out to do: be funny. Guys like Rob Schneider and Sinbad provide great comic relief. Even a young Jason Bateman steps into his role well and helps with a few laughs.They give you a reason to root for this group of has-beens and never-will-be's.

Yes, it's been done before and yes it's very unbelievable. Throw all that to the side and you have a film with funny and a little bit of heart underneath. I give it an 81.
May 5, 2016
Typical sports comedy about a group of misfit college football players determined to win. It's script could be copied directly from countless other sports comedies.
½ April 10, 2016
4/10/2016: an ok movie at best. Not as funny as I hoped.
January 24, 2016
Completely forgettable sports comedy about a losing Texas college football team is forced to find a new quarterback. Coach Robert Loggia decides his best bet is to recruit a 40 year old Scott Bakula, who was at one time a hot high school prospect, who ended up not playing college ball. Bakula falls for a cute professor and the team is the usual Bad News Bears/Mighty Ducks/Major League ragtag group of underdogs (who even have a GIRL as their kicker! [SARCASM, though Kathy Ireland is really cute]). The cast is made up of solid tier two tars, like Hector Elizondo, Larry Miller, Sinbad, Fred Dalton Thompson, Rob Schneider (who I do not like), Jason Bateman, and Dick Butkus. You'll immediately forget about this film 10 minutes after you watched it, but it's not all that unpleasant to watch while you're in the moment.
½ January 9, 2016
Cute comedy, but also makes a point that should be taken to heart. As happens in public high schools, sports teams in college should come from the regular students bodies, not specifically recruited athletes who get scholarships for playing and easy courses to skate through as long as they deliver wins. These teams don't really represent their schools and take scholarships away from the intellectually gifted students who deserve them. The European system is better, but if sports teams are associated with American colleges and universities, they should really represent their student bodies, not be a training program for the NFL.
September 5, 2015
Good sports movie and it was funny.
April 1, 2015
Not a necessary movie.
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - Late Summer 2007)
May 3, 2014
Some of the most classic characters came from that movie... & Schneider was hilarious as the announcer! lmbo
April 7, 2014
Ok movie. Not a very good one, but with some good performances and funny moments, it's watchable once, and maybe bits and pieces while doing something else when nothing else on.
April 7, 2014
So...is this an episode of 'Quantum Leap' following the constant adventures of 'Sam Beckett'?. No?! well it sure as hell seems like it as the ever cuddly Scott Bakula portrays the same character he's always ever portrayed with the exact same haircut too...geez dude!. So lets not beat around the bush here, this is the late in the day 'Major League' clone that shamelessly rips every cliched idea from that film whilst attempting to look all innocent by turning it into a college football flick.

The plot is different of course, but end of the day it still involves a coach and his assistant trying to muster together a half decent team which ultimately ends up being a bunch of misfits, freaks, girls and Scott Bakula. From there on we get all the regular sports cliches and predictable fluff such as the team losing all the time, losing faith in their coach, a soppy romance, a rival team of assholes, the resurgence of the team and one man behind the scenes taking joy in the teams failure and trying to amplify it.

I think the problem with this film other than the fact its a lame clone, is they simply haven't created any fun characters to follow or care about. As I've already said Bakula plays the same character he always does, then you have a bloke who thinks he's a samurai warrior, the nerdy guy with specs, a huge Samoan guy, an Aussie?! (why would an Aussie be there?), a black guy who can't catch, a ex-military obsessed bloke, a female kicker and finally the hilarious comedian Sinbad...add sarcastic quips here. There are of course other faceless jock meathead players also.

Hell to even make sure they copied every single aspect of 'Major League' they even have a light-hearted announcer for the games...and its Rob Schneider! oh the quality. I really shouldn't keep going on about the similarities but its impossible not too! just look at the films poster, its identical in every way! unbelievable!.

The only big change in this film is the team doesn't actually win any league or championship in the end, they lose a load, tie a game and their final game of the season they manage to beat the top team but that's it. They presumably still end up near the bottom of their group or league, so we don't get the obligatory montage of wins when they turn their game around. What we do get is a sickly bit of crap when their coach goes into hospital of a suspected heart attack just in time for the final big game against the top team. We then get a vomit inducing scene where second in command Loggia tells the team to go and win it for the coach, possibly his last wish on Earth. Personally I thought this was all a set up to get the team to play well, or at least Loggia's character was exaggerating the illness and the coaches last words on purpose. Nope it was all for real, the illness isn't as bad as suspected, but the shitty cliched corny attempt at a rousing emotional scene was indeed for real.

This really is a prime example of an early 90's straight to the videoshop piece of turd trying to leech off the success of another earlier franchise. There are literately no redeeming features anywhere I can think of, its not funny, its not cheeky or rude as suggested by the poster, you have no interest in any characters, even the game sequences aren't very good or exciting...its just poorly made trash that didn't need to be made.
½ July 25, 2013
Great Sports movie. Very Funny.
July 16, 2013
Another typical sports movie about a "wacky" group of football players.
½ June 20, 2013
A lesser "Major League," but still enjoyable.
March 7, 2013
"Paul Blake" (Scott Backula) was a star player on his high school football team with a million-dollar throwing arm. He had a promising college football future until he gave it all up to run the family farm after the death of his father.

Now 34, he gets his chance to play college ball when he is asked to attend Texas State, which has a team that has been destroyed by numerous scandals over the last season that eliminated all but one student (Jason Bateman) from the team.

Now the coaches (Robert Loggia and Hector Elizondo) and "Blake" have to bring the teammates together to turn the team's luck around, while trying to keep TSU's "Dean Elias" (Larry Miller), who tries everything he can to destroy the team since he doesn't even want the sport a part of his school.

This movie has a pretty predictable plot. There is little to no surprise in the script. It doesn't stand out from any other similar movies, and neither does the comedy.

None of the cast really stands out in this film, with exception of Backula, Loggia and Elizondo. If you have seen Miller in other movies, you will see he plays the same type of character in this one. Some of the characters are developed, but not by much.

The subplots, for the most part, is barely touched upon. The romance subplot is probably the best developed of them all, but not by much.

The games were filmed on-field, and none of the shots were spectacular. I think it may have been better if they opted for more angles than what they went for.

Despite the film being pretty predictable, the cast is pretty good to watch. They just aren't given much for the most part. Because of the cast, you can probably handle watching this movie a minimum of twice.
February 26, 2013
This movie never gets old. Just have to like it for what it is.
September 9, 2012
Standard and harmless sports comedy. It's definitely a product of the Major League style of movie. It has some genuinely funny moments at times, but usually is content to go through the expected motions for the genre.
½ August 8, 2012
The Kathy Ireland shower scene was very influential for my 12-year old brain. That's why I gave it the extra half star.
July 9, 2012
Really anytime you get Sinbad, Scott Bakula, Jason Bateman, Larry Miller, Robert Loggia and Hector Elizondo together, with a field goal kicking Kathy Ireland, it's going to be fun. It just never happens is all.
June 29, 2012
wotttttttttttttt it luks so stupid it cud b funni lol