Neighbors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Neighbors Reviews

September 21, 2015
good comedy short silent from Buster
½ October 27, 2014
Not a top notch Keaton short as it drags a little at times, but it has lots of good stunt work and a pointed black-face gag about race and the police (unfortunately contrasted with a possibly racist ghost gag, though Keaton might have done the same gag with a white or Asian family and just happened to do it with a black family - hard to know).
February 12, 2014
Facial expressions and timing. Two families that aren't fond of each other happen to be neighbors. When the son of one family (Buster Keaton) falls in love with the daughter of the other (Virginia Fox), it isn't long before both families are up in arms and misunderstandings become escalated. Honestly speaking, Keaton has yet to let me down, and even his twenty minute shorts never fail to get uproarious laughter out of me. This is laugh out loud physical, slapstick humor, and while I typically react negatively when I see this in my modern movies, it just ends up being wildly charming in silent films. Buster Keaton is fearless in sacrificing his body, and he performs stunts that will make your jaw drop; when you get to the ending where they are doing a human totem pole, you know that couldn't have easy, or 100% safe, for that matter. There are a couple of racial things that aren't really cool, but that's just a sign of the times, as this was released in 1920. This is just another winner from Keaton.
January 29, 2014
I loved just the situation here with the three story windows and the fence. So many possibilities to play and Keaton used them well.
January 23, 2014
Crazy entertaining and hilarious for just a few minutes.
January 17, 2013
another hilarious movie by Buster Keaton, which successfully bring such comedy that even still funny to be seen at this decades. BRAVO
½ October 16, 2012
Buster Keaton was an amazing comedian and director and Neighbors is just another example of how great his physical comedy was. The gags come fast and furious and the charming Keaton does it in a way that is offensive yet endearing enough to walk on thin ice without breaking through.
June 17, 2012
Great film! Kept me laughing throughout the film. I was amazed at the stuntwork on that film! I'd definitely recommend this film to others. I think this was my first Buster Keaton film. I have another director to add to my list of favorites.
February 20, 2012
Impressive stunts as usual from Keaton.
½ January 17, 2012
A decent short film, but not one of Buster's better works. The story seems rushed and choppy but there is still entertainment to be found, especially in the walking scene with people stacked shoulders to feet.
December 29, 2011
Definitely not the best of the shorts in the Keaton collection "Neighbors" at 19 minutes in length still lags a little bit at times as there is too much time between gags. This isn't to say the film is bad by any means, it's rather quite good and way better than most other comedies, especially what passes today for comedy. The film is a take on Romeo and Juliet but set in a regular neighborhood with Keaton's real life father as his father and Joe Roberts as his girl's (played by Virginia Fox) father. Probably the most entertaining scene is where the three men with Keaton on top stand on one another in order to reach the top floor where Keaton's girl is. While not the best, any Keaton is good Keaton and it's certainly worth anyone to give it the few minutes it deserves.
½ October 22, 2011
The racist humor (Keaton gets mud on his face and is mistaken for a black man) is funny for the wrong reason, but you'll laugh all the same. And the acrobatic gags involving Keaton standing on others' shoulders are wonderful.
½ April 1, 2011
This is not one of Buster Keaton's best shorts. There's far too long in between gags, and you can't really afford that when your movie's short to begin with. Add to that the fact that there weren't any spectacularly funny scenes, and what you have is something very disappointing.
September 3, 2010
Pretty funny Keaton film.
May 27, 2010
based on the proverb 'good fences make good neighbors,' this is a slight keaton short, more reminiscent of his work with arbuckle than the tight and precise shorts and features that would follow. still, there are many entertaining bits that show off keaton's acrobatic skills.
October 29, 2009
Les courts de Buster Keaton ont cet avantage que les plus longs ne peuvent avoir; ils sont un condensé de cascades, d'idées farfelues, sans longueur ni temps mort. Un autre bijou.
½ September 20, 2009
Non-stop smart action and comedy that will rock your socks off. Very cute, and as clever as you should expect from Keaton.

January 19, 2009
One of the funniest things I think I've ever seen!
½ November 16, 2008
Absolutely hilarious, this Buster Keaton short is stuffed with eye-popping stunts and wacky situations that kept me cracking up the whole way through. It loses half a star for some gags that are a bit on the racist side (as many silent films from this era are guilty of), but overall it's a must-see for any Keaton fan.