Neil Young Journeys Reviews

• Jul 20, 2018

worth watching to see some of Neil Young's life growing up in Ontario and also a live concert at Massey Hall

• Sep 01, 2016

Eh. It was ok. SO disappointed he didn't play Old Man. Especially since this was in his home town AND THERE IS A BUILDING , I believe a school, NAMED AFTER HIS FATHER! If, in fact, "Old Man" was written regarding his father. I was excited it started out with the old classic tunes. Grrr.

• Apr 30, 2014

good performance doc

good performance doc

• Daniel P Super Reviewer
    Feb 02, 2014

It took a while to warm to the newer material, (much of it from the 2010 album Le Noise), but Neil has still got it... as a recording songwriter. Live, Shakey is getting shakier, and this splicing of a Massey Hall concert with footage from a rambling drive down Highway 11 didn't really do the show any favours. Neither did Demme's heavy-handed, cheap-looking graphic supers about the four students killed in the Kent State riot (sung about in "Ohio"). I'd have liked to have been at the show, and in the end I did like the newer songs - particularly the spruced up 70s rocker, "Hitchhiker" - but this is late Neil, and this DVD is primarily for the collectors.

• Oct 08, 2013

A decent mix of old and new songs interspersed with snippets of Neil Young driving around his old haunts in Ontario and reminiscing. It's not essential viewing but fans of Neil will enjoy it.

• Sep 01, 2013

Really only for Neil Young fans (like me), and even then it is so-so. The non-music part should feel nostalgic and emotional, as it covers Neil Young retracing his childhood in his hometown, but just seems dull. There is no profound moment, and it just seems like one big ramble. The music is the highlight, of course, but even that could have been better. Way too many recent Young songs, not enough classics. And I'm not sure I prefer the one-band version of Neil Young to the hard-rocking Crazy Horse version...

• Aug 04, 2013

The Les Miserables of concert films, Neil Young Journeys contains a great performance by Young, but Jonathon Demme makes an odd and unattractive choice of filming at super close-ups from the mic stand. The documentary also contains too much concert and too little getting-to-know Neil Young.

• Jul 17, 2013

Excellent music of course, and a personal look at Young's background as he guides a tour of where he grew up.

• Apr 09, 2013

Neil Young is classic!!!!

Neil Young is classic!!!!

• Mar 10, 2013

It's fun to see old Neil be Neil Young, this time solo but going between acoustic, electric and piano/harmonica for some greatest hits and new songs... but that one fish-eye/go-pro or whatever it is lens attached to the microphone that makes us look at his tonsils as he sings... no Demme, bad move, don't do that again.