Nell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nell Reviews

½ November 10, 2016
Might have seen it...
½ October 18, 2016
It isn't so much that there is something blatantly wrong with it. I mean, I'm sure that this has an audience out there. Psychology aficionados, and/or speech pathologists, and/or people who like long emotional dramas, they might love it. I however personally found it boring.
October 8, 2016
Can see why this movie opened itself up to ridicule.
September 24, 2016
If you ever needed proof that Jodie Foster can act, then this is it. Beautifully acted, moving story and directed with craftsmanship.
August 4, 2016
How did this get made? Horrid hack acting.
July 10, 2016
I really don't get everyone's criticisms of this movie. I watched it again 20 years later thinking maybe I would have a better view of what is wrong with this movie, but I still loved it.
June 28, 2016
A very interesting look into an isolated persons psychology, and Jodie Foster pulls it off pretty well.
½ April 26, 2016
Dear oh dear. Nell is a film about two doctors, Liam Neeson and Natasha Richardson, tasked with observing and documenting what happens to a young woman who has been found in a woodland cabin and speaks an incomprehensible language of her own. The premise is interesting and this movie has okay performances but it is such a mess. The way in which the predicament of the central character, Nell is handled is so preposterous that it stretches credulity to breaking point. There are so many unexplored plot developments and some gaping holes that, sadly, the whole thing just becomes farcical. What should have been an expiration of human relationships and development becomes a soppy, soggy mire. Overly sentimental and, frankly, unbelievable. The two doctors behave in a manner that is unethical and the sugary ending feels like a tacked on afterthought.
April 6, 2016
If this movie is supposed to be set in reality it's plot commits suicide within the first 20 minutes as the central conflict is solved and then ignored. The performances are consistently amateur with even the capable actors putting in laughable performances and it's shot in such a boring manner there's really nothing even technically interesting about it. That being said there are parts in this movie I found laugh out loud funny and it would fall into the "so bad it's good" category if it wasn't so repetitive.
April 6, 2016
December 14, 2015
Heartbreaking and heartwarming. Nell is one of my all time favorites.
July 4, 2015
A creepy film that puts your teeth on edge but you have to admit that Jodie fosters performance was pretty impressive.
½ March 1, 2015
The trickiest part about this movie is the portrayal of Nell. It's one of those characters that could've easily been over the top, but Jodi Foster's nuanced and thoughtful performance saved the movie from going over the line. It is slow and the story can be boring at times, but Nell is full of thought-provoking ideas. You care about the characters and what happens to them. It may not be entertaining in a general sense, but there's a lot more beneath its skin.
February 15, 2015
One of my favorite movies with Jodie....Not an easy Languege she speakes ...half english or something , lovely to see she trust Liam and Natasha moment by moment .... SOMDVD
½ February 3, 2015
If I may comment twice. Our society only wants normal. Normal looking people are beautiful. Normal talk is nice. Abnormal is strange. Well to be disabled is to be abnormal but its all good. My brother has a girl who is down syndrome. He cried when she was born but she taught him to feel. That woman, my neice - she's in her 20s - shows us all how to love, to love without condition. I wish she lived closer to me to remind me over and over what a jerk I can be with my intellectualism.

Last night we watched "Nell" which is a fictionalized account of a young woman with developmental disability, most of which is environmental. The movie wasn't too popular because it accurately depicted prejudice by normal people against someone with a learning disability. Nell felt life on a more emotional level than our society expects and almost got herself institutionalized.

I saw the movie as a allegory about all people with disabilities, how the differences can result in exploitation (side show), discrimination, abuse etc.

We are a long way from accepting each other as we really are but we should try. The world can be destroyed by people like the Nazi's who carried intellectual argument to the illogical extreme of exterminating those who were not Aryan. Inside of many cultures is a similar desire that is held back by public approbation, but just barely.

The movie will make some people - like the critics - squirm. Nobody said they were not bigots.
January 30, 2015
was a good movie.. loved that doctors wanted to help her and explored who she was . and it changed them and everything! meaningful film..
November 9, 2014
I am not sure how I missed this fine film for twenty years. Foster and Neeson deliver truly outstanding performances that make the unlikely story believable.
August 30, 2014
I thought the movie was excellent and the three main actors all gave amazing performances. Critics weren't all that fond of the movie, but they aren't always right now are they?
½ July 24, 2014
(First and only viewing - 3/12/2010)
June 24, 2014
Paula (Natasha Richardson): What is it with you and Nell?
Jerry (Liam Neeson): It's like... there's no one else in the world. Like she doesn't need anybody.
Can you live your whole life that way, or does it drive you crazy in the end?

To say that Jodie Foster was amazing would be an understatement, she completely disappeared into the role and was no longer playing a character; she was, for all intent and purposes, Nell. What's more amazing was that I could somewhat pick up the supposed made up language Nell spoke in the film; even before Paula Olsen (played by Natasha Richardson) revealed that she may be speaking English, it was actually a little bit decipherable. It sounded just as they explained it: [SPOILERS] English but with a really thick accent and she was dropping the vowels in some of the words; plus some words ran together making it seem like one word. It basically, by now-a-day's term, a kind of "mush-mouth" English. Overall, the story was really engaging. It was deceptively compelling enough to make me tune in when I happened by it scrolling through the list of free movies on HBO. The character was indeed a fascinating case but her story seemed so tragic when you finally comprehend what had happened to her family. Everyone played their parts so beautifully, especially Foster but Neeson and Richardson had genuine on-screen chemistry as well. Pretty cool film and great cast, very well acted.