Neo Ned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Neo Ned Reviews

February 4, 2017
Sweet and heartbreaking at times
August 3, 2015
This movie was just okay in my opinion and very low budget. Based on a lot of reviews I was expecting the movie to be better than what it was. Plus all the racial was disturbing, overall it was decent nothing to brag about. Jeremy Renner acted his role pretty well though I liked that. So for this being a not very good film, but liked the performances from the leads, I give "Neo Ned" a D.
April 7, 2014
Neo Ned (Van Fischer, 2005)

A fun if forgettable little film that is saved from Lifetime Original Moviedom solely by well-above-average performances by the two leads, The Hurt Locker's Jeremy Renner and 10 Things I Hate About You's Gabrielle Union. Renner plays the title character, a goofy, happy-go-lucky neo-Nazi (yeah, I was wondering about that too) at the opening of the film who is forced to question his beliefs when he finds himself falling for African-American hearttthrob Union. Despite her better judgment, she returns his affection, and the two of them set out to see if they can make a life for themselves despite their obvious fractured beginnings. It is very rare to see white power played for laughs, and any director who's going to attempt it has to be prepared to walk a very fine line; I get the feeling that's one of the reasons why this movie never went much of anywhere, but it seemed to me Van Fischer (Blink of an Eye) did a pretty good job with that aspect of the film, using the comedy aspects of it to keep the movie light while it strayed into some very dark places. It lacks subtlety in a lot of areas, and it pays lip service to American History X a time or two without ever approaching the depth or gravity of that one. Still, as a lightweight and surprisingly funny film about the redemption of a white-power skinhead, well, it would be pretty hard to do better, if only because it has been so rarely done before. ***
January 18, 2014
This movie is different from the norm which is probably why I liked it so much. Jeremy Renner shined brightly in this film and really helped to develop the plot. Gabrielle Union's performance, although not as comedic as Jeremy's was equally well played. I would recommend this film to anyone, it is such as a treat to see.

Stamp of Judgment: Badass
December 29, 2013
It's not something that I would have pictured her to be in regardless it was definitely worth my time
½ August 8, 2013
A neo Nazi in a mental institution falls in love with a black chick in a mental institution. How does that work out?
May 26, 2013
This film really lives up to its tagline "Love Is Not A Race". Jeremy Renner and Gabrielle Union really give such soulful and sweet performances. The film centers around a neo nazi named Ned Nelson who is in jail for SUPPOSEDLY killing an African American. Then he meets an African American woman named Rachel who claims to channel Adolf Hitler. Don't let the synopsis get you wrong the film isn't one of those disturbing dramas, this film is actually a comedy in some places. This film is actually quite beautiful and it show you the true nature of how far love can take you. Jeremy Renner gives a performance for the ages.
½ April 19, 2013
I really loved this movie even though it felt very chick flicky at times. The story itself is probably one of the most unique and chaotic I've ever seen and somehow it works. Ned Played by Oscar winning Jeremy Renner is a neo nazi who isn't really racist but feels like he has a sense of family with his brotherhood. Coming from a broken home Ned's distorted view of family leads him to be involved in a hate crime where a black man was killed by two other guys while Ned was there. Instead of going to jail he gets put into a mental hospital where he meets Rachael, a gorgeously insane black woman who thinks she is hitler. Despite Ned's Nazi views he starts to really fall for Rachael's good looks and her smart ass personality, her hitler routine is just that...a routine. Rachael is a woman who just couldn't handle the pressures of life so she came up with a fake problem just to get put away where she tries to figure out what to do. One thing leads to another and they end up escaping together and thats when the real drama happens. This is just one amazing movie that got buried in with the rest of the direct to video low budget romantic dramas, and its shame. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes weird, offbeat, romantic, drama's with some dark comedy thrown in.
April 15, 2013
Had the potential to be awful and cliche but wasn't. Very interesting, funny, low budgeted and bittersweet movie, but I loved it. The two leads are exquisite and make us fall in love with these complex and troubled characters despite their obvious pitfalls. Jeremy Renner really breaks my heart in this one.
March 26, 2013
This film was touching yet light-hearted. Reading the summary of the film, one might think that the film may be heavy or preachy but it simply shows how two broken people find each other and their own happy stories. It is a gem of a film in that the characters, especially Ned and Rachel, are very human, real, and multidimensional. I don't think I will ever forget this film.
March 7, 2013
Don't let the title put you off this great story! I expect this film isn't what people who see the title would think its about. The nazi part of the storyline, is important to the whole film, but its a lot less prominent than say, American History X. The acting is great. Jeremy Renner is superb as Ned, you really start feeling for the character and hoping he has a happy ending. Gabrielle Union is great too, very believable. She really should be in more films.
December 28, 2012
I liked it...nice romance from unlikely couple...
December 22, 2012
Very different love story. Again it was a movie that I heard of because of Jeremy Renner being in it, but the premise of it had me curious. While, yes, Renner's Ned is a Neo Nazi at the start of this movie, it isn't about that. It has to do with Ned just trying to find his place in life because his upbringing was not exactly normal, and he'd find ways to fit in with whomever he could. After supposedly committing a murder, he's thrown into a mental institution and there he meets Gabrielle Union's Rachel, a troubled woman who claims she's possessed by the spirit of Adolf Hitler, but her problems run much deeper.

Renner makes Ned so loveable that you can't help but like him, even when he's saying some rather nasty things. But you can tell that Ned isn't fully invested in what he is actually saying, the words come out as if by rote, if that makes any sense! And Gabrielle's Rachel comes across as strong but weak all at the same time, which makes for an interesting character to watch.

By the end of the movie both characters find what they need and get something of a happy ending.
December 8, 2012
A strange, but very lovable movie. With a premise that seemed to be very controversial, it turned out to sweet and character-driven with no real controversy at all once you understand the characters. While scattered and with a number of problems, it's impossible not to fall in love with Ned and root for something in his life to turn out right.
November 28, 2012
my girl gabrielle played her role on here
½ November 2, 2012
I didn't like the film at first, because it wasn't what I expected. But the two main actors did such a god job I just fell in love with them, and finally understood the point of the film. For me it's always about the character development in films, and by the end you loved them so much that you don't really care what they do, you just hope the best for them.
½ October 29, 2012
Jeremy Renner is a real live wire in this movie about a skin head who falls in love with a black girl who thinks she is Adolph Hitler.
October 26, 2012
Neo Ned is awesome movie, Jeremy Renner really shows how great of an actor he is.
October 16, 2012
Neo Ned was a surprisingly good indie romance film. After reading the synopsis I was confused toward what I might be in for but in the end I was definitely pleasantly surprised. While it struggled to find it's footing when it came to the overall theme, constantly balancing delicately between comedy and drama it still made the impact I feel it set out to. The performances were what set it apart from most other films that try to tread the same ground. Jeremy Renner encompasses his character so entirely that I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit spastic in his regular life as well.