Neptune's Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Neptune's Daughter Reviews

½ September 21, 2016
The title really does not represent the film well at all, nor does the description above. Nonetheless the movie is magical and full of comedy, mistaken identities, and of course at least one swimming sequence! This film debuted "Baby, It's Cold Outside," and wow they certainly do it justice!
April 16, 2015
This screwball musical-comedy is light on the storyline, but great on the show-tunes and choreography. It's also super fun to watch these dated 50s films and all of the hockeyness.
April 11, 2014
I've recently developed an obsession with the young Ricardo Montalban. He rarely played non-ethnic parts and was largely cast as a native person or a latin lover. This film falls into the later category. Esther Williams is a bathing-suit designer who falls for polo player, latin lover Montalban. Red Skelton has a funny supporting role as a polo club worker mistaken for polo star Montalban, who then assumes the part to woo William's friend, Betty Garrett. Mel Blanc is a waiter who does his Speedy Gonzalez voice four years prior to Speedy's first appearance. Keenan Wynn serves as the films narrator, though I'm not sure why the film needed this. The story is fluff, but the stars are all very likable and how can you resist Montalban and Williams sining the original version of the Academy Award winning song "Baby It's Cold Outside.'' This film continues my obsession with Montalban, even if it was one of his stereotypical parts. Montalban has a commanding screen presence and this film was the first time I'd seen him sing, which made me appreciate him on a whole new level. This is a must see for Montalban fans, although I suspect there really aren't many out there besides fans of Khan.
December 2, 2013
Fantastic! They don't make shows like these anymore!
June 19, 2013
One of the best of Williams' MGM aquatic musicals, with colorful comic support from Skelton & Garrett, and the Oscar-winning song "Baby, It's Cold Outside."
½ January 4, 2013
I'm not a fan of musicals. I picked this one up at the library because I wanted to see the first appearance of the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside." What I discovered was a very entertaining movie, even if some of the musical numbers feel, to my jaded 21st Century self, a little bit silly and embarrassing (although I'm quite sure they didn't feel that way to 1949 audiences.) The "Baby, It's Cold Outside" sequence is not one of those... it's a total scream! The way it was worked into the script is so clever it nears genius. The plot is cute, silly, and fairly predictable... but as light comedies go, it's certainly a good one. The thing that really surprised me, as someone who was born a generation after this movie was made, was seeing Ricardo Mantalban (who I am familiar with only from "Fantasy Island" and his Khan role in Star Trek) as a much younger man. Red Skelton is also much younger than the comedy clips I remember seeing from his TV show. It was fun to see actors who continued to appear in TV and movies for decades to come in roles they played when they were quite young.

And hey... who's that one guy who sounds just like Speedy Gonzales? Why... it IS Speedy Gonzales!
May 23, 2012
good frothy technicolor musical-MGM style
March 22, 2012
I remember really liking this, though it's been a long time...
August 27, 2011
A delightful little diversion.
½ December 12, 2010
Love it and of course, it features the Oscar-winning "Baby it's cold outside", one of my favourite songs...
½ October 6, 2010
A funny, entertaining and romantic story. Excellent relationship dynamics between sisters and their suitors, both of whom claim to be the same man.
January 20, 2010
Fun. Red Skelton was great!
August 18, 2009
I love the song "Baby it's Cold Outside" & when I found out it was for this film, I had to see it. It was cute & pretty funny :)
February 9, 2009
Love it- my favorite of the Ricardo Montalban / Esther Williams collaborations. Williams's affinity for the water is actually worked into the plot in a semi-plausible way, with her playing a bathing-suit manufacturer, and the comedy with Red Skelton and Betty Garrett is quite funny. The songs are lovely, especially Ricardo Montalban's "My Heart Beats Faster" and the duet with Williams for the classic "Baby, It's Cold Outside."
January 28, 2009
One of my fave Esther movies!!
November 28, 2008
Worth watching to see a slice of yesteryear; a young, hot Ricardo Montalban; and charming water ballet sequence at the end, but overall Neptune's daughter is not a great movie. The plot is weak and the comedy falls flat. Won best song Oscar for 'Baby It's Cold Outside', which seems out of place being sung in Southern California.
October 11, 2008
back in the day exotic was exotic, forget where it came from, and so in this song and dance marathon south american/african culture is mixed with polynesian/asian for a seamless exotic faraway feel. and why team esther so many times with latin leading men? there must be an answer, but who gives a toot anyway. a fun time, some nice tunes, and, as ever, xavier cugat and his orchestra in a zany, convuluted, sycopated and choreographed...number, zowie! look for the man of a thousand voices in a bit comic part, too.
September 20, 2008