The Nesting (Massacre Mansion)(Phobia) Reviews

• Sep 21, 2020

What a hokey pile of poop... It's got a pretty typical story for a haunted house flick, and hits all the typical beats. The girl is soo hilariously bad though, and there's some bonkers moments, that you might find some fun in it...

• Jun 09, 2018

I thought it was pretty good

I thought it was pretty good

• Aug 04, 2015

This is one hell of a weird film. An author of horror fiction moves out to the country to cure her agoraphobia ... into a house she's been having visions of. It seems the house used to be a brothel, and the spirits of the hookers, the clients and the madame torment her. There's a strange, off kilter atmosphere to everything that happens in this film. While not exactly a forgotten gem, it's a really entertaining horror flick that doesn't really do what you expect it to.

• Oct 31, 2012

This is a great haunted house thriller! It's worth a view

This is a great haunted house thriller! It's worth a view

• Jun 03, 2012

This is one neat horror flick! A troubled writer, octagonal mansion, remote location, agoraphobia, and parallel time make this film move at a steady pace. A little The Shining, a little Ghost Story. Doesn't deserve the 26% fresh rating. This movie will thrill you if you're into cult horror films. Must not be everyone's cup of tea. Thank you Blue Underground for saving this gem.

• Jan 07, 2012

This one was a blind-buy on Blu-ray, and I can happily say that I thoroughly enjoyed this ghost story set in a remote & creepy house, where an agoraphobic writer has holed up to work on her latest book. There are some of the usual 'city slicker' out of their element tropes, as well as a decent mystery as to what the spirits are on about with all their haunting, so what's not to like? Well worth a rental or a cable watch should it actually turn up there.

• Nov 09, 2011

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] A really fun horror flick. Cheesy but entertaining.

• Oct 29, 2011

Decent early 80s haunted house movie, what a surprise...although, I must say it doesn't even come close to comparing to my favorite haunted house movie..Burnt Offerings. My only major gripe about The Nesting is the sound effects, that's right, sound effects. It was like the makers of the film acquired a cheap Hollywood sound effects record and put the tracks on a loop, it had everything, repeated lightening crash! Slashing sound from Psycho! Car horns of NYC! Well, I also had a bit of a problem with Robin Groves, she was grating on my nerves and it was worse towards the end.

• Oct 07, 2011

Not great by any means, The Nesting still manages to be an enjoyable piece of 80s supernatural trash that features some genuinely creepy moments and a lot of laughs. It will most likely be enjoyed by fans of 80s horror.

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Aug 02, 2011

The Nesting AKA Massacre Mansion is yet another of many haunted house horror films that came out in the early 80's. Unfortunately, this title went into obscurity, until recently where it was released on DVD. The Nesting is an effective horror film with genuine scary moments. The film is imperfect at times, but overall is a solid horror film that delivers the goods. Theres some fairly strong performances here from John Carradine and Gloria Grahame (her last film role) and though the film navigates somewhat into predictable territory, the film succeeds in being a cool little horror film. The story is interesting enough to please any horror fans, and the film is quite underrated.and if you love films in the style of The Changeling and The Amityville Horror, then check this one out. The film has its imperfections, but overall manages to be quite an interesting film, one that deserves to be rediscovered by old school horror fans. This is a pretty good haunted house film that can now be seen by a new breed of horror fans. The film has gotten a bad rep, and in my opinion is an underrated horror film. This is one lost gem that has unearth by the fine folks at Blue Underground. The Nesting is a must see obscure horror film that delivers effective jolts.