Netherworld - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Netherworld Reviews

½ February 7, 2014
Incoherent plot that jumps around with many characters with no development. There are some neat cheap effects, but they don't save the film from being a bore.
January 31, 2013
Netherworld is a cheerfully campy horror film that is cheesy and weird as can be from start to finish. The premise itself involves a witch from a brothel, souls being put into birds, hot women, sex, and all sorts of other ludicrous things, but that's why I had so much fun with this film. It's undeniably corny, but it sure is a fun film to watch if you like cheesy horror films. But then again, should I expect anything less from the studio that released the Puppet Master films?
½ October 7, 2011
What this was I have no idea.. something with some prostitute being a witch or sorceress That she turns men into birds. Otherwise pretty much a waste of time. F
½ April 23, 2011
Movie started off really strong & I really liked the whole bird concept, but the final 20 minutes was all over the place and seemed VERY rushed! Like the decision to not and then TO bring his dad back made in literally 2 minutes was kind of bad writing. The lead was good and the blues-ish score from Bon Jovi's keyboardist was good!
½ March 5, 2011
Horrible waste of time.
½ November 15, 2010
One of the craziest living hand movies since Steve Miner's 1986 movie, House. It was like they combined the killer spheres from the Phantasm series with Thing from the Adam's Family.
Despite the bad acting, the weird musical interludes and the low budget this film made one critical mistake. For a film that takes place mainly in a brothel with a story revolving around sex and rebirth, it has a serious lack of nudity.
While nudity isn't necessary for a film to make it's point, low budget pictures of this nature benefit greatly from it if the nudity makes sense plot wise.
While the story is ok in concept and perfect for a Full Moon release, I just didn't feel the execution was up to snuff.
September 11, 2010
Netherworld is good looking early Full Moon production that is set in the deep South. We get a thick gothic atmosphere in a setting full of lush vegetation, huge lonely manor mansions and strange brothels with ties to voodoo. Sounds like an interesting time to me. Sadly even with the films interesting setting the film succumbs to a hockey script that has very little going on.

The film has a young man (Michael Bendetti, the guy that filled in for Johnny Depp after he left 21 Jump Street) inherit a huge southern manor after the father he never met dies. Arriving at the manor and meeting the two caretakers (a mother and daughter), he starts reading notes written to him by his father about how he hooked up with a voodoo priestess at the local brothel and how with his sons help, he can come back to the land of the living. Heeding the warnings of the mansion's caretakers, he heads to the brothel on multiple occasions to seek the truth about getting the father he never new back.

I have to give director David Schmoeller credit as even with a small budget, he gives the film a nice look. Schmoller is one of those directors that I always believed could have done much better as he has the talent but always had sub-par scripts to work with. Look at some of his other films like Puppet Master and Crawlspace and you can tell this guy has talent behind the camera, just not a good script book in his hands and that is the main problem with Netherworld.

The plot to this film moves at a snail's pace and it takes forever to get the story moving and it meanders to an unfulfilling climax. Our character goes to the brothel and back multiple times. Back and forth, back and forth with not much accomplished. In the basement of the brothel, weird visuals are abundant most notably a flying stone hand with snake heads on a few finger tips. This thing flies around a few times brutally killing a few people. The hand makes for an interesting visual but what purpose does it serve in the plot? NOTHING other than cool visual. Nothing is ever explained about the hand it only serves to be a cool aspect to throw into trailers and poster artwork to get people to see the damn film. The hand also rips off the flying silver spheres from Phantasm so the idea itself isn't even original.

Another problem is our characters, especially our secondary characters. At one point our caretaker of the house does a voodoo ritual but is blinded by our voodoo princess and thus disappears from the film completely. Why have her in the damn thing then? Her daughter is also pointless other than to serve as eye candy. Some characters are completely evil and then flip-flop becoming good at a split second with absolutely no explanation! There is also an interesting tie to the image of birds in the film but it is so poorly developed that it becomes more silly than anything.

For a Full Moon movie, this looks good and is by far one of their best looking films. With a better script this could have become a Full Moon classic but all the plot flaws makes the viewer comes out more pissed off than entertained. It's a shame director David Schmoeller didn't go on to direct some decent films as he always seemed to be tied down with poor scripts provided by Charles Band. Netherworld actually marked the end of the directors long working relationship with the producer as they had a falling out. Considering the films Full Moon started churning out by the end of the decade, it was probably a good move on his part never to direct for Band again.
May 2, 2009
Wonderfully bizarre movie!
February 17, 2009
Nifty voodoo chiller. There's some creepy visuals and good ideas but the film feels rushed as if a script rewrite would have helped greatly.
December 27, 2008
Behold another Full Moon product that is Netherworld, a cajun down in the heart of the swamps of Louisiana where a young man inherits his estranged father's estate and must carry out his last wishes of working with a black magic witch at the local bar & brothel down the swamp to resurrect him. Also, any bad people that cross through that brothel meet their ultimate ends at the hands of a.....um....hand. But not just any hand, a hand with snakes and shit on it. You would think with top notch direction by David Schmoeller (Puppetmaster, Tourist Trap, and Crawlspace), this film would have been better, but in fact, it is one of THE dullest movies I've ever seen. There's a lot of talking and nothing happening that nearly made me fall asleep at several points in this so short but oh so long movie. Not even the subplot of people being turned into birds (or something of that nature), or the occasional titties popping out was enough to interest me.

Aside from the dull plot, most of the actors are dull and are not worth backing up. The witch comes off as a villain, but at the end of the movie, she's a good guy (??), or something. I'm not sure, that was never made clear to me. Also, there are NO recognizable faces in this film, save for the main character's dad who was the Dean in Re-Animator and Edgar Winter (gets the award for Most Unusual Cameo) as part of the band at the brothel. This is definitely one of Full Moon's weaker films, which is a shame because I thought it would have been better. It gets its two stars for the decent amount of titties, as well as a HILARIOUS ending involving a parrot, and a HILARIOUS after credits scene that should have been infused into the lackluster movie somewhere. Too bad.
October 8, 2008
I saw this movie when I was a teen... I loved it then and still do. It's great in it's own way. You just have to have a special love of movies to love it I guess.
½ March 17, 2008
A better later Full Moon Release!
October 20, 2006
Here's another film rating.
June 18, 2006
I watched this erotic thriller back in the day when I would watch anything that Full Moon released. This is one of their better/worst pieces. Better because it's slightly more mature then most Full Moon productions and worst because Full Moon writing was never any good and can't really pull off mature.