Nevada Smith - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nevada Smith Reviews

August 2, 2016
Solid, interesting, and unusual Western. The biggest problem is the casting. McQueen hands in an excellent performance, but he is supposed to be much younger than he is, and it doesn't quite work. Acting, directing, soundtrack, etc., are all top flight. If you like Westerns you'll probably enjoy this.
July 30, 2016
Good, but nothing great. Uses Joe Campbell's Hero's Journey for its simple plot.
½ July 16, 2016
I'm a huge McQueen fan, but have always found this movie to be flat and slow moving despite a good cast. McQueen is supposed to be a young man but clearly is not. Half Indian, but doesn't seem to have a drop of Native American blood. The best thing about the movie? The fantastic theme music by Alfred Newman. World class.
April 22, 2016
McQueen obsessively seeks revenge against three men who murdered his parents but seems to lack much vindication or satisfaction after he finishes the job years later. Great scenery but overlong and somewhat dated.
½ August 23, 2015
If you can get over the fact that 35 year old McQueen is supposed to be a young man (circa 21 I guess) who is also half Indian (McQueen is fair skinned and blond/fair haired), this isn't a bad Western adventure at all. The cast are fantastic and the plot although predictable is engaging. I guess this is McQueen's Cool Hand Luke moment.
½ March 28, 2015
Nice western. Great dialogue
½ March 7, 2015
Any Steve McQueen movie is worth watching. A pretty good revenge western with a good cast.
½ July 26, 2014
(First and only viewing - 4/25/2010)
July 18, 2014
Steve McQueen makes a whole movie out of a minor supporting character in The Carpet Baggers. Played in the film version by Allan Ladd if memory serves.
½ January 19, 2014
Nevada Smith (Steve McQueen) is a rugged innocent boy born in the 1890s during California's gold rush days to a Native American mother and white father. When he finds his parents have been murdered by vicious killers, he sets out to track them down.

also stars Karl Malden, Brian Keith, Arthur Kennedy, Suzanne Pleshette, Raf Vallone, Janet Margolin, Pat Hingle and Howard Da Silva.

directed by Henry Hathaway.
½ May 26, 2013
A respectable entry in the annals of good Westerns--Routine but picturesque revenge Western!!
February 27, 2013
One of the best western films ever made..A movie that defines revenge as a holy matter.
½ March 21, 2012
this is the second film (that I'm aware of) based on harold robbin's 'the carpetbaggers'
½ January 11, 2012
I really enjoyed this movie, but some of the transitions in it seemed disjointed.
January 7, 2012
This film definitely has it faults, like expecting the audience to believe that Steve McQueen is a "boy", and to accept the lengths his character will go to quench his thirst for revenge, but it is one of my guilty pleasures with excellent performances by Brian Keith, Martin Landau and Karl Malden. Being a prequel to another guilty pleasure, "The Carpetbaggers", gives it another dimension into the characters. Despite its faults, I found myself routing for Nevada to punish the bad guys and found it worthwhile to see.
½ December 5, 2011
A really old movie that was okay in it's day. Steve McQueen's best western and probably his greatest film was 'Tom Horn'. One of my all-time favorite films!!!
August 24, 2011

also stars Brian Keith, Pat Hingle, Karl Malden, Suzanne Pleshette, Arthur Kennedy, Raf Vallone, Janet Margolin and Howard Da Silva.

directed by Henry Hathaway.
June 19, 2011
Slow moving but good revenge western starring Steve McQueen.
June 14, 2011
Un excelente western sobre venganza y redencion. Steve McQueen interpreta a Max Sand, un joven mestizo cuyos padres son asesinados brutalmente por tres maleantes (Martin Landau, Arthur Kennedy y Karl Malden). En su busqueda de venganza, Sand se topa con un comerciante de armas (Brian Keith), una joven india (Janet Margolin), una cultivadora de arroz (Suzanne Pleshette) y un cura (Raf Vallone), quienes lo ayudan a madurar. Imperdible para los amantes de las peliculas del viejo oeste y para los admiradores de McQueen.
½ May 18, 2011
Not bad western. It sure about revenge. A fine western.